EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » General Inquiry » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
cattywampus
Member # 3601
 - posted
Hello - I am planning a trip to Egypt next October. I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to answer a few questions for me, such as:

1. What things must you not do in Egypt? I am thinking of gestures, insults, etc.
2. What's the best way to deal with Egyptian men if you're not interested?
3. I am visiting all the regular tourist spots - are there any public restrooms at those sites?
4. How does one do laundry? Can I do it or have it done?

Do you have any other advice for me?
Thank you in advance.

egy_prince
Member # 2853
 - posted
No insult, just better try not to wear short clothes in public places or streets.

When u r not interested in a man or a merchant just ignore him, don't talk or say "thank u"

There r lots of laundries in Cairo so, don't worry about this.
there r cafes and restaurants near all the places of interest.
good trip

cattywampus
Member # 3601
 - posted
Thank you, egy_prince! That is just the info I needed. I can't understand why foreign tourists can't give some respect to the mores and customs of the host country. I would no more go out in shorts in Egypt than I would crap in the streets in America (or anywhere else). I have some lovely muu-muu type dresses that I bought in Tahiti to wear under the Egyptian sun.

Thanks again.

sallyally
Member # 3426
 - posted
-I wore sunglasses with dark lenses the entire time I was in Egypt as I am accustomed to making eye contact on the street, which can be perceived by some men as an invitation.
-egy_prince is right-don't talk to men you do not know-don't even say 'hi' back. Sounds rude, but it'll save you a lot of problems.
-I found that I was treated much better when I greeted Egyptians (in cabs, stores, homes) with "Al-salam-alaykom"-I've spelled it wrong-check your guidebook.
-Ride in the women's car on the metro if you have to take it. It's either the very first or last car. Can someone else confirm this?
-Carry tissues with you at all times. While there are restrooms everywhere, there may not be toilet paper everywhere!

Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510
 - posted
Yuk!! Is it like that in all public toilets?

sallyally
Member # 3426
 - posted
Not at all! Most restrooms are just fine, while a few leave a lot to be desired with respect to the expectations of tourists and expats.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Rhi_Sarah:

Rhi Sarah -
A lot of the world doesn't use TP. They wash themselves and consider TP dirty. Here it is only commonly used for drying yourself after you wash.

cattywampus
Member # 3601
 - posted
I am flummoxed trying to figure out the logistics of this.

Catty

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Rhi_Sarah:

Most toilets have a means of washing yourself after toilet, which to be honest I find a lot more hygenic than toilet paper. In my home we don't use toilet paper. We have got used to using a hose and also it avoids blocking the pipes.

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.toursinluxor.co.uk Accommodation and Tours in Luxor

cattywampus
Member # 3601
 - posted
Thank you, akshar. That is very good to know.

Catty

Raymon
Member # 3727
 - posted
Don't talk about politics.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Sweet Willie
Member # 3873
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by sallyally:
-Ride in the women's car on the metro if you have to take it. It's either the very first or last car. Can someone else confirm this?

I've read it is the FIRST car.

A related question, should my wife ride in the women's car as well or with me?

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
The women-only car is the first one and your wife could either go there if she wanted to or with you in any of the other cars. The women only car is generally for those women who do not usually mix with men and/or who prefer not to be squashed up against men during the rush hour!! When you see the rush hour you will understand why!

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com