EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Appropriate Dress for Trek/Cruising » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
NubianGirl
Member # 3796
 - posted
Hi! I'll be visiting Egypt in early April on one of those 8-9 day tours. What would be the most appropriate and comfortable attire when trekking in the desert among the pyramids and cruising down the Nile in a felucca? Would lightweight, light-colored cotton pants (the kind you see on backpackers in Nepal and Thailand) and white cotton shirts with short sleeves be okay?

Also, does desert sand normally get into your sandals while visiting the pyramids or any other tombs? And do desert sands usually get into your digital cameras?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439
 - posted
do you mean you're going for a desert trip or you're going to visit the pyramids? cairo has sprawled and the urban fabric is encroaching right to the edge of the pyramids these days, so you're not exactly in the middle of the desert. and there's enough asphalted roads that you could even visit in heels. same with felluca on the nile if you're in cairo ..you can go to a fancy restaurant, then rent a felucca for 1/2 hr ride after dinner...so no special equipment needed if you mean a nile cruise (luxor-aswan) for 3/4 days, then you can dress like anywhere. however, if you want to walk around in tight t-shirts/bare shoulders, keep a light scarf that you can cover up with when you get off the boat to visit the sites. general rule of thumb is the more you cover up, the less you'll be stared at and more comfortable you will feel.

NubianGirl
Member # 3796
 - posted
Gosh! I've always thought we could have a chance to be right in the middle of the desert -- and in the middle of nowhere when visiting the pyramids.

Would anybody happen to know how much are those camel rides are and how long do they last?

Anyway, many thanks ExtinCAI!

NubianGirl

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439
 - posted
you can do that if you go visit the red and bent pyramids...the red pyramid is the first true pyramid built and was built by the cheops' father (or grandfather...i forget now). it's about 30 minutes from the great pyramids but you will need to hire a taxi. there's never been more than 10 people at the site every time i've gone and usually they're egyptians/expats. you also get a magnificent view of the lush date groves right below (the pyramids sit on a plateau) and you really do feel like you've stepped back in time. only downer is that there is a military area right near there, so you can only go there by car (not by camel/horse) from the main pyramid as far as i know. at least not a direct route.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com