EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » What do I wear?!! » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
I'm travelling to Egypt, Cairo to be particular, in July/ August. I am looking forward to it massively, however, I do't have a clue about the sort of clothing I should be bringing with me. I would like to take advantage of the heat and pick up a bit of a tan whilst I'm there, but I have been told that Egypt isn't the place to pick up a tan or to wear short clothes. Can anyone help, please??!

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
Female tourists get hassle from locals and this tends to be in proportion to the amount of flesh they have on display. If you want to be treated with respect then treat local customs with respect.

Outside your hotel loose and baggy down to knees and elbows and up to neck. It is actually cooler and safer in the sun than strappt tops.

Inside your hotel around the swimming pool swimming costumes and bikinis but I would not wear a thong

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

_
Member # 3567
 - posted

Yes, you should wear suitable clothes in respect to the country.

Like akshar said, baggy clothes, the more the better. No spaghetti tops or hot pants to say at last.

Anyway if you wear inappropriate clothing you will find out quickly what "hassle" means.

It is going to be very, very hot and I advise you also to take a short trip to a Red Sea beach. This is more where you will be able to get some tan and don't feel so umcomfortable about other people's looks.

I wish you a wonderful time in Egypt and enjoy this very special time!

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777
 - posted
hi there

Well thats a good piece of advice from the mates overhere, get with u some sunblocks too preferably " photoderm SPF 100 " and white clothes for less sun irritation and yeah whenever u get to get on streets u better be wearing loose clothes half sleeves or long sleeves are ok, but avoid tight clothes and short ones and hopefully u will enjoy it

salam

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy
Resident Doctor of Dermatology & Andrology

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777
 - posted
and hey

if ur a giggly girl, better not giggle much too hahahaha

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

Nutso_Ordinary
Member # 3826
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
take advantage of the heat and pick up a bit of a tan whilst I'm there, but I have been told that Egypt isn't the place to pick up a tan or to wear short clothes. Can anyone help, please??!

Egypt is exactly the place to pick up a tan, at the matter of fact it the best place to get a tan without those nasty tan lines (hint,hint). The less you wear the better, casue july and august at the hottest months in egypt...if you need someone to rub some oil on your ,hopefuly, great body just let me know, I get great hands

sincerly

Nutso_Ordinary

Nutso_Ordinary
Member # 3826
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Nutso_Ordinary:

Egypt is exactly the place to pick up a tan, at the matter of fact it the best place to get a tan without those nasty tan lines (hint,hint). The less you wear the better, casue july and august at the hottest months in egypt...if you need someone to rub some oil on your ,hopefuly, great body just let me know, I got great hands

sincerly

Nutso_Ordinary

Lukoshko
Member # 3626
 - posted
quote:
I'm travelling to Egypt, Cairo to be particular, in July/ August. I am looking forward to it massively, however, I do't have a clue about the sort of clothing I should be bringing with me. I would like to take advantage of the heat and pick up a bit of a tan whilst I'm there, but I have been told that Egypt isn't the place to pick up a tan or to wear short clothes. Can anyone help, please??!

It depends on where are u going. If u go to Sharm or Hurgada u can weare whatever u want.

If u go to Cairo, Alex etc u'd better take somthing long, that will hide ur legs, arms and shoulders. Better to have it wight, as there are too much sun. U will feel better in such clothers when u go to the excursions or walk in the street in big cities.

When I go to the crowded places (market for ex) I prefer to put smth on the head and hide my hairs. (But it's my own crasy idea)

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
Thank you all so much for your advice! EgyptianDoc77; 'if ur a giggly girl, better not giggle much too'. I am an awful giggler, I spend all my life laughing so it will be practically impossibe for me to stop!! LOL...I'm going to have to change my whole dress sense around, I think after reading the messages posted here that I will need a new wardrobe! Nutso_Ordinary; thank you for you 'kind' offer...I'll make sure to call you if I have any problems reaching the difficult bits ! And if you mean tan lines as in lines left by fake tan, I will have you know that I never, ever use that stuff. I'm not a fake lass in any way. Thanks again, you have all been great help!!!

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
Oh, and one more thing. What are Egyptair planes like? I'm flighing with Egyptair, and am terrified of planes as it is! LOL. Is the standard usually ok on them?

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
I have flown EgyptAir loads of times, pretty standard really, staff are usually really friendly

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

_
Member # 3567
 - posted

You don't have to worry about Egypt Air and its airplanes, capability of flying or the staff. (PS: I once met a very very nice steward!)

I flew with them couple of times and I never ever had a problem.

About wearing white clothes because of less sun irritation .... well, just to tell you this much, they will not stay white for a long time.

Again, have a wonderful vacation ..... and hopefully you will be so fascinated that you will return.

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
I am fascinated all ready with Egypt. Everything about it and especially the history intrests me incrediably. Regerding the plane, I don't think my mind will be at rest with it until my feet are firmly on the ground! Knowing me, I'll probably fall over as soon as I get off! LOL Thanks again. And can anyone tell me what the nightlife is like in Cairo?

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
I have never been to Egypt before, and although I know quite a bit about the past. I don't know so much about the present Egypt. My friend (who has been to egypt) suggested I should calm my personality down a bit. I am naturally outgoing, flirty, lound and giggly. Do I really need to calm myself down for my trip?? Apparently I would be giving out a very bad message of myself and western women in general. Is this true?

_
Member # 3567
 - posted

It depends what you want out of the whole trip...

The nightlife in Cairo is incredible. Actually I wasn't able to enjoy it the last six years but I know good nightclubs operating and some new pubs opened up in the meantime.

Egyptian people are very much outgoing and happy folks. You also will find many foreigners living and enjoying the nightlife.

Maybe some other ES members can give you some good advises where to go.

But definitely don't miss out on a feluka ride on the nile - even at night. You also can buy tickets for boats where they entertain you the Egyptian way you know with traditional food, dancing etc.

Gosh, just from talking about - I want to go there now too.

Again, have so much fun ..... it is so different than Europe.

Oh, by the way, there is nothing better than to be outgoing! And how do you want to calm down, you will pop some pills?! It's your vacation girl, so enjoy it! Hopefully you're not going to visit Egypt all by yourself!

PS: If you are too flirty - you will find out....

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
Yes I would calm down while you were here. It will make things nicer for you. Especially don't flirt you will be marked as easy within 3 seconds and everyone will be trying to get inside your knickers. Look at like a visit to a spinster great aunt and be polite and well mannered. Your visit will be so much more enjoyable.

quote:
I have never been to Egypt before, and although I know quite a bit about the past. I don't know so much about the present Egypt. My friend (who has been to egypt) suggested I should calm my personality down a bit. I am naturally outgoing, flirty, lound and giggly. Do I really need to calm myself down for my trip?? Apparently I would be giving out a very bad message of myself and western women in general. Is this true?

------------------

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
I can barely do a visit to a great aunt for an hour...never mind two weeks!! I'm not intentionally flirty...I can't help it. How am I mean to tone down something I don't even know I am doing half the time? I don't want to be marked as easy, coz I'm not. Can I get away with my normal personality and modest-ish (I do want a tan) clothes??

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
Stick to tan clothes around the swimming pool at the hotel.

Look you can do anything you like but I am just recommending the way to get least hassle and more integration.

If you want to be a 'I am a tourist I have the dollars and I don't give a **** about your culture, religion or sesinbilites' then you can do it.

It is your choice

------------------

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777
 - posted
hey there

well just be urself and be modest and yeah be modest in ur clothes, u shall get the tan, dont worry, if u didnt pick it up, ill just pack u some from mine and give it all for free hahahaha..
well its always good enough to respect the traditions about clothes within the city but for sure ull enjoy all inshallah

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

_
Member # 3567
 - posted

Hey, take your boyfriend (if you have one) with you on vacation than everything is clear: for you, your man and the Egyptians!

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 18 March 2004).]

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
If you want to be a 'I am a tourist I have the dollars and I don't give a **** about your culture, religion or sesinbilites' then you can do it.

It is your choice

I am not like that. Also I am British, not american - we don't have dollars. And whilst I am in Egypt, I will be using Egyptian pounds. And to Tigerlily: Part of the reason I am going is to get away from a painful break up...certainly not to take him with me!

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777
 - posted
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by akshar:
[b]If you want to be a 'I am a tourist I have the dollars and I don't give a **** about your culture, religion or sesinbilites' then you can do it.

It is your choice

I am not like that. Also I am British, not american - we don't have dollars. And whilst I am in Egypt, I will be using Egyptian pounds. And to Tigerlily: Part of the reason I am going is to get away from a painful break up...certainly not to take him with me! [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi giggle girl
iam sure they sounded to u like if ur going to a war and not to a vacation, look friend just be sensible and enjoy ur time and like i said pay respect to the culture coz its some way of respect to others and u shall be paid the same respect and more even..iam sure ur a wise enoug person to understand me and simply be urself and be moderate and ull just never forget the days inshallah.. just pay some attention to some of the sensible stuff ur being told

take care and dont ever think of upsetting Tutankhamoun when ur in here, his curse is damn wild

cheers

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

Katiapolska
Member # 3824
 - posted
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by akshar:
[b]If you want to be a 'I am a tourist I have the dollars and I don't give a **** about your culture, religion or sesinbilites' then you can do it.

It is your choice

I am not like that. Also I am British, not american - we don't have dollars. And whilst I am in Egypt, I will be using Egyptian pounds. And to Tigerlily: Part of the reason I am going is to get away from a painful break up...certainly not to take him with me! [/B][/QUOTE]

Hallo
iam katia, iam from polska(poland), iam 25 and live in cairo from 3 months. I love cairo and i live nice life. no person will can make you do something you dont want.

EgyptianDoc77 say you right thing and he is rite. if you want thing write to me

bye from katia

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
LOL...you are funny Egyptiandoctor77, but don't worry. I have no intention of upsetting Tutankhamen's 'wild curse'!! I'll try my hardest not to upset anyone else either. I don't want to upset anyone - I just don't see why I can't be myself. lol...I'll respect Egyptians as well.

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
When I say I'll respect Egyptians, I mean I'll respect their culture by not wearing my hotpants and vest top...and sticking to the long, floaty skirt and shirt.

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777
 - posted
quote:
When I say I'll respect Egyptians, I mean I'll respect their culture by not wearing my hotpants and vest top...and sticking to the long, floaty skirt and shirt.

Heya

What a pity egyptians wouldnt see ya in ur hot flirty stuff, uffffffff

they'll miss the real charm but
you can still do it in Sharm

u see how iam perfecting the similies
hahahahaha

take care and yeah stick to ur long dress

be safe

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by EgyptianDoc77:
[B] Heya

What a pity egyptians wouldnt see ya in ur hot flirty stuff, uffffffff

they'll miss the real charm but
you can still do it in Sharm

[B]

LOL!! You Egyptian guys will really be missing out...if there is one thing I do know how to do, it is being flirty, including the 'hot, flirty' clothes They don't work that well in the cold, windy UK though!! LOL...however, I can still wear my
hot, flirty, party stuff for going out at night. No-one or nothing can stop me having a good party I'm not trying to give out messages that I am easy, as I've said, I'm not. But I like people to accept me for what I am...an outrageously fliry party girl!!

seeking you
Member # 3842
 - posted
hello Dear
I am 26 male Egyptian
About what you can wear , you can wear what do you want to wear here, but the point is where to wear it
actually the weather is gonna be hot in summer here,
if you don;t mind you can send me to help ya
in anything , if u don,t mind
take care
see ya

Raymon
Member # 3727
 - posted
GiggleGirl,
Again visit my page about clothes in Egypt at: http://www.youregypt.com/eguide/genguide/clothing/

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
What a fantastic site you recommended Raymon. Thanks You know, the recommended clothing for women isn't that different to what I would have worn anyway...but I have gone all respectable now A long skirt that covers my legs. I'm keeping the vest top though. That will stay!! I love my vest tops. Is it better to bring suncream rather than buy it in Egypt? Thanks also to 'seeking you' Can anyone reccomend any clubs in down town Cairo??

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777
 - posted
hi giggly

well at my first post to u i recommended u to get ur sunscreen with u..check up..its all available and all qualities too, but why bothering urself to buy from here

i recommend for u " Photoderm SPF 100" and its a dermatologists request so concern bout it :d

be safe

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

carina
Member # 3843
 - posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
[B]
hi

iam from sweden also visiting cairo and i asked for the same clubs in downtown from EgyptianDoc77 the other day but unfortunately he isnt into this

i kept my post but no one replied me..hope to answer what are good clubs downtown??

thanks , cari

sybyrite
Member # 3658
 - posted
Hey Doc, Please don't tell anyone to use SPF 100. It's a well-published dermatological fact that anything over SPF 15 will only clog the poors. The rest is just comercial hype to sell more product.
By the way, on the dress topic, is topless acceptable at tourist hotel pool? How about thong? I don't like tan lines, either.
And should the shoulders be covered in public or are thin-strapped sundresses (long) OK? Thanks.

Dalia
Member # 1230
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by sybyrite:
Hey Doc, Please don't tell anyone to use SPF 100. It's a well-published dermatological fact that anything over SPF 15 will only clog the poors. The rest is just comercial hype to sell more product.

Not entirely true. I have skin that gets burned very easily, even in Europe. I happened to use the product he recommended and I could spend a whole day on a Red Sea beach without even a slight burn. I could never ever do the same with an SPF 15 product (and, believe me, I tried it. )

quote:
By the way, on the dress topic, is topless acceptable at tourist hotel pool? How about thong? I don't like tan lines, either.
And should the shoulders be covered in public or are thin-strapped sundresses (long) OK?

Topless or thongs are accepted nowhere in Egypt.
If you go to Sharm or Hurghada sundresses will certainly be ok, I wouldn't wear it in Cairo though, LOL ...

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777
 - posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sybyrite:
[B]Hey Doc, Please don't tell anyone to use SPF 100. It's a well-published dermatological fact that anything over SPF 15 will only clog the poors. The rest is just comercial hype to sell more product.

hey sybyrite

i hope you know that you are talking to a dermatologist as well, and simply what do you know about skin phototypes??do you know how many phototypes exists and about solar interactions with with different skin types??? i doubt it ...dear sybrite iam giving her a scientific opinion, and not simply coz ur inteersts include " health" u can make that quote..

i prefer u would read more of solar skin inetarctions and skin phototypes dear

enjoy ur reading
cheers

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

Sophia
Member # 3820
 - posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sybyrite:

[QUOTE] B:

hi sybyrite
iam french doctor and i never here what you say is right!!!!!!! in fact my french dermatologue ( skin doctor) give me SPF100 block when i was in greque(athens) and say if more than 100 exist he give..

this is not right

also dress i think all replies of askhar and dalia and rest is good not bad
thank you

blondy25
Member # 3849
 - posted
quote:

And should the shoulders be covered in public or are thin-strapped sundresses (long) OK? Thanks.

this is funnyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..are you kidding????

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
quote:

By the way, on the dress topic, is topless acceptable at tourist hotel pool? How about thong?

lol....Yikes!! Even I'm not that stupid to think topless is ok in Egypt!! Are bikinis ok though (not a thong back....i don't like them) I'm sure you didn't need that detail...lol

sybyrite
Member # 3658
 - posted
Sorry Doc, Guess I'm just a tan junkie/sun worshipper. So I suppose that I only pay attention to the reports that I like. My appolgies. I use SPF '0', or in extreme sun, # 4. This would be along the equator.

sybyrite
Member # 3658
 - posted
You mean I have to go out and get one of those big ol' bathing suits? I thought anywhere with an influx of European tourists was quite lax on coverings. Not like the Caribbean?

Artemi
Member # 3176
 - posted
quote:
You mean I have to go out and get one of those big ol' bathing suits? I thought anywhere with an influx of European tourists was quite lax on coverings. Not like the Caribbean?

I'd guess that if your intention is to offend people, and be treated like trash as well, that you could get away with a lot more.
If you want to show respect for the country you are visiting and be treated with respect too you'd do well to take the advice offered on this board.
Here's yet another helpful site: http://www.youregypt.com/eguide/genguide/clothing/
(Actually the picture of the "least" amount of clothing a female should wear seems to me much less than would be acceptable in many circumstances, but overall the site still has some good points.)

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 26 March 2004).]

gary
Member # 3608
 - posted

[This message has been edited by gary (edited 27 March 2004).]

gary
Member # 3608
 - posted

gary
Member # 3608
 - posted
but I have been told that Egypt isn't the place to pick up a tan or to wear short clothes. Can anyone help, please??! [/B][/QUOTE]

GG. yes you can certainly pick up a tan, be very hot when your there though !! and NO please dont wear short clothes you will offend there culture and you will be thought of as very very cheap ! if you have booked a trip to egypt surely you want to see some of its history and learn about its culture ? going semi naked is not the way to do it like Artemi said , even the women in the link is wearing TOO LITTLE !

Dalia
Member # 1230
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Artemi:
(Actually the picture of the "least" amount of clothing a female should wear seems to me much less than would be acceptable in many circumstances, but overall the site still has some good points.)

LOL, I would not dare walking anywhere in Cairo in those clothes the lady in the illustration is wearing.

gary
Member # 3608
 - posted
LOL Dalia
we stay in luxor when we visit and its bad enough there , would expect Cairo to be a lot worse ! did try to visit Cairo in feb when we were there but cause of the trouble they would'nt let use travel on the trains going next time instead .......CANT WAIT !!

Dalia
Member # 1230
 - posted
What do you mean by "a lot worse"? In terms of harrassment?

Cairo istn't that bad, actually. I do get very upset by ANY kind of harrassment and it can spoil my day, but I have to admit I don't get a lot of it.

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777
 - posted
quote:
Sorry Doc, Guess I'm just a tan junkie/sun worshipper. So I suppose that I only pay attention to the reports that I like. My appolgies. I use SPF '0', or in extreme sun, # 4. This would be along the equator.

hey dear

take care of ur precious skin and enjoy the sun :

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

gary
Member # 3608
 - posted
Dalia
i presumed luxor being more of a tourist resort ( or so i presume ) there slightly more used to seeing people with less clothes on . but having never been to Cairo ....yet....just guessing really. i presume its a lot like the uk though, i live in torquay (a holiday resort) and you see a lot of people here with less clothes on then you would in , say , birmingham . not holiday resort

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com