EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » why protected areas in Egypt are dirty and get day bay day much more dirty? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
blau_frau
Member # 3699
 - posted
Can somebody tell me why in protected natural areas in Egypt the first people to dirty are bebeduins and egyptian who also from the tourism in these area survive? and why if a foreign let them explain why not to dirty the answer "it is my country" ?..
Once I had to refute: yes but this is my earth!! and dirtying here, will destroy also the earth of my children and the future of their health!!!

blau_frau
Member # 3699
 - posted
hey.. nobody sensible to ecologycal topics on ES???

sallyally
Member # 3426
 - posted
Could it be that that people in Egypt don't necessarily litter that much more than we do, but that most western countries rely on cleaning crews (paid well with taxpayers' dollars) to keep public areas clean? I think the questions that should be asked are-Does the Egyptian government tax fairly according to income, if at all? Do corporations and wealthy families pay taxes? Is the Egyptian government willing to provide cleaning crews with adequate salaries and benefits?

Also, I think that is important to understand that Egypt is not as developed as Italy or other western nations. Smog in England during the Industrial Revolution was a considered a sign of success because it suggested growth in industry and economy. That is where Egypt is at now.
Any attempt to "educate" Egyptians with respect to environmental concerns will have to be done in a manner that does not suggest that development will be impeded.

Fifty years ago, were we as aware of environmental issues as we are now? I think not.

[This message has been edited by sallyally (edited 17 March 2004).]

_
Member # 3567
 - posted

I was actually asking this myself often when stepping through the trash in Cairo.... so many men sitting around, doing nothing the whole day except talking and smoking and I believe the MANPOWER could be better used to keep their environment cleaner. I believe they don't care - they always lived with the dirt and nothing will change.

Many Western countries take a different view and established so far well programs to minimize and recycle trash. But then again it depends on each individual to follow this good trait - unfortunately not everyone elects to do it.

hkhodier
Member # 705
 - posted
you are all right

blau_frau
Member # 3699
 - posted
I was talking mainly about NATURAL areas. Example: Abu Gallum is a marine and desertic protected area. WEll, you can find there kilos of rubbish...

blau_frau
Member # 3699
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by blau_frau:
I was talking mainly about NATURAL areas. Example: Abu Gallum is a marine and desertic protected area. WEll, you can find there kilos of rubbish...

If you work in tourism there around, you tell people it is an incontaminated place, while you know is not at alla so... and even if you are not fault and not egyptian, you sham yourselves...

and if you try to tell some egyptians to trash the rubbish in the appropriate places, it's like talking to a wall...

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
It will take a lot of public education to change the situation and that will require a large amount of government expenditure. Many years ago the government in Britain ran a “Keep Britain Tidy” campaign to try and sort out the littering problem there. The tv and radio was flooded with campaigns as were all the billboards. The municipal refuse collection services were also improved. It cost a lot of money and we would have to ask if this was a priority that the Egyptian government was prepared to spend money on. I seem to remember that Monica one wrote something about Egypt’s efforts in this direction if you want to do a search to find the thread again.

I was surprised to read an article recently about the street cleaners here. Did you know that their basic pay is about 200LE a month and if they are seen resting during working hours or any litter is found left in an area they should have cleaned they will have their pay deducted and some of them only take home 80 LE a month!!! I heard another story that as they are well known for their low income they sometimes go out begging to try to support their families and they must be quite successful as other beggars ask to borrow their uniforms so they can go out and increase their income!!!

karinfarid
Member # 3352
 - posted
I don't know about the protected areas, but in Cairo improvemet has been made by the government paid cleaning crews and the instituation of garbage baskets. A few years ago I had to carry my garbage items with me back home to throw it into the garbage bin, because there was simply no alternative, no baskets or cans in the streets, and that is Heliopolis.

Except that this new garbage collection service is quite expensive (added on the electicity bill), one of those green containers is not enough for 4 buildings or more, and despite the promise of the government, that the former garbage collectors will be employed by those companies, thousands have become jobless. I don't know how it started out, but in my neighbourhood we pay the official garbage share AND in addition we pay for our local garbage men, who come every 2 days to collect the garbage from our doors and take it away on their own truck.

In the more local areas I was disgusted by the huge piles of garbage on spaces between buildings, and the 'terra' the small water canals. And yes I did wonder why all those women wash their clothes and dishes and children in this dirty water, I did not realize so fast, that those people do not have any other source of water - what about that? no clean water, no canalisation (bathrooms!), and of course nobody will ever sent them weekly or even monthly cleaning crews to collect the garbage, as if there were garbage containers, anyway. And as if they had the money to pay for it privately! So most people tend to burn the garbage to get rid of it - talk about ecological hazard!

yes, it is such a waste, this huge workforce sitting around talking and smoking, I agree it would be much better and useful to employ those men for cleaning up the country, BUT WHO WILL PAY FOR THEM? can we be angry that those unemployed men who have families to support talk their problems and depression away instead of utilizing their power to clean up?

salam, Karin

blau_frau
Member # 3699
 - posted
Well, your country produces lots of telenovelas... why not using them to make usefull communications and education to people???

why should you dirty your country? that's te point.. not kleaning..
why do we want to point and alalyze always the poor class?
If you will serve a trash paper in your pocket and you will not trow it from the windows of the car (as I saw always in Cairo) maybe the town and the country will be clean..
the protected areas are dirty NOT BECAUSE THERE IS NOBODY TO CLEAN, BUT BECAUSE THERE IS SOMEBODY WHO DIRTY!!!

[This message has been edited by blau_frau (edited 18 March 2004).]

karinfarid
Member # 3352
 - posted
well, my country that is Austria, at least it used to be, because basically I don't think I'd be able to live there again, I would be the one with the culture shock when I return to Europe

Egypt produces lots of soaps, but in this case we would be appealing to the handful of the rich and powerful, who are controling the TV production, and yes, it belongs to the government.

So that means the very same people who care only for their own interest and not for the people or the country.

We are always pointing to the poor people, because the majority of people are poor, those who are rich have their carefully fenced in properties and a gardener to take care of it.

I got raised up on that high standard of cleanliness and it hurts me to throw away anything on the streets or from the car window (banana peels excepted because they decompost). It was strange for my husband at first, but then he realized the idea behind it. If I want to teach my children, I have to be a good example, right?

What was missing up to recently to educate the children was the public garbage cans - they only recently appeared in Cairo, I'm left to wonder about Hurghada, Luxor, Sharm etc.? anybody knows?

To educate the young, one has to create an awareness first, and that has been missing completely in the Egypt. school system. I really hope that will change together with a thorough and dedicated school reform, my wish for a better future in Egypt.

I think what the government should start is a national campaign on TV, (similar like the ones for birth control and against FMG), this is the only medium, that will reach until the most distant parts of Egypt, but who will push them to?

salam, Karin

blau_frau
Member # 3699
 - posted
When I was child, in my town also there weren't enough trash can.. but my parents always teach me to save it in my pockets and to throw it away home...

blau_frau
Member # 3699
 - posted
and there is no one men, educated working for soap opera that can model his character according also to some good principles which will open the eyes of everyone in EG?

When I was child, in my town also there weren't enough trash can.. but my parents always teach me to save it in my pockets and to throw it away home...

blau_frau
Member # 3699
 - posted
and

[This message has been edited by blau_frau (edited 18 March 2004).]

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com