EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Vegetarians in Egypt » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
I am a vegetarian. I cannot bear to eat anything with meat or meat juices in it. What sort of vegetarian dishes can I come to expect in Egypt??

esposible
Member # 2955
 - posted
Thanks for bringing this up. I am also interested about this.

Raymon
Member # 3727
 - posted
green (Egyptian) salad ...
fuul ... taamiya ... papa ghanoug ... mesa2a3a ...

Copts are now in the last week of their fasting ... (Coptic Easter is next Sunday) fasting for them means turning vegeterian. My advice is that you ask Copts.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
Koosjeri (rice with spaghetti and lentls), bread with french fries (eys, batates), fried aubergines, vegetarian bamia (halfslymi vegetable in tomatosauce, my favourite!) with rice.
We eat veganistic this week before eastern and I learned that just in case I could get track of food withoud meat the most easy at the chinese restaurant. As there are some in the greater cities in Egypt. Just tell them you eat veganistic or vegetarian.

Nutso_Ordinary
Member # 3826
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
I am a vegetarian. I cannot bear to eat anything with meat or meat juices in it. What sort of vegetarian dishes can I come to expect in Egypt??

Lamb chops are my favorite, but I also like Kabob and Kufta and of course chiken stuffed with cute little birdies.

carina
Member # 3843
 - posted
quote:

how long are you a vegetarian?

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by carina:
how long are you a vegetarian?

For about 5 years now.

Dalia
Member # 1230
 - posted
Being a vegetarian in Egypt is easy - if you like Middle Eastern food. Even if you go to a restaurant that has no vegetarian main course you can order lots of appetizers and fill up on them ... they are delicious.
And it's not only salads, there are plenty of dips, made of roasted eggplants, chickpeas, sesame paste etc., and you eat them with bread.

There is also mashi - zucchini, peppers or vine leaves stuffed with rice. Very yummy.

And, of course, kushary. Hmm ... my cleaning lady just cooked it for me yesterday and it's gorgeous ... rice, lentils, pasta and chickpeas with some spicy tomato sauce and fried onions.

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
Being a vegetarian in Egypt is easy - if you like Middle Eastern food. Even if you go to a restaurant that has no vegetarian main course you can order lots of appetizers and fill up on them ... they are delicious.
And it's not only salads, there are plenty of dips, made of roasted eggplants, chickpeas, sesame paste etc., and you eat them with bread.

There is also mashi - zucchini, peppers or vine leaves stuffed with rice. Very yummy.

And, of course, kushary. Hmm ... my cleaning lady just cooked it for me yesterday and it's gorgeous ... rice, lentils, pasta and chickpeas with some spicy tomato sauce and fried onions.

Yum yum!!! I will have to have that dish. It sounds fantastic!! Is it commonly served in restraunts?

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151
 - posted
quote:
Yum yum!!! I will have to have that dish. It sounds fantastic!! Is it commonly served in restraunts?

It's not so much in all restaurants (although there are a few that do have it on the menu), but there are specific Kosheri restaurants in every neighborhood. It is one of those "economical" foods that back-packers learn to live on while here, so find any back-packers while on your holiday and they will be able to introduce you to it.

Raymon
Member # 3727
 - posted
GiggleGirl,
The best Koshari shop is Abu Tarek at Downtown Cairo.

Go to Tahrir Square and ask for Koshari Abu Tarek and they will tell you where.

Enjoy it!

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

wise_woman
Member # 444
 - posted
Kushari is my middle name. I love kushari!

I like to eat it as evening meal and I am guaranteed to have a deep sleep that night.

Most restaurants in hotels do not serve it, you'll have to look for places that are not in obvious tourist area and where locals might eat. It's cheap and filling.

Try to be sure it's cooked thoroughly and hot. Maybe best not to go into a kushari restaurant in late evening as it may not be a fresh batch.

I read somewhere on the boards something unpleasant about rice that is reheated, then cooled then reheated many times.

carina
Member # 3843
 - posted

i feel hungryyyyyyyyy :

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151
 - posted
Here's an idea. Ask a local to point you to a GOOD kosheri restaurant. If the place is popular, and if you go when there are loads of people there, the food will be fresh. At my favorite one (across Al Ahzar from the Khan) they are usually bringing out loads of pasta, rice, onions, etc while I'm sitting there eatting as the Kosheri is going out the door so fast. Nothing there has too much chance to get cold or old.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Basmalah
Member # 3783
 - posted
Hi Gigglegirl!

Like you I'm a vegetarian. I don't live in Egypt but i visit my fiancee and his family every once in a while there.. It's not easy being a vegetarian in a meatlovers country! hahaha! Thank God there are dishes like Koshari, fool and tamaya! And yummie I adore those hahaha.. Good luck with your search for none meat containing dishes... If you discover more let us/me know ha!? :-)))

Love
Basmalah

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com