EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » What to wear? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
habibika
Member # 6161
 - posted
I'm planning on visiting Egypt this summer. Out of respect for the Muslim culture, I want to dress conservatively and have some semblance of blending in with the people who generally live there. I have brown hair and brown eyes and speak Arabic, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. What does a girl in her early 20s wear in Egypt?

timbuctoo
Member # 440
 - posted
Long slacks and short-sleeve top should be fine in Cairo. Though, you'll see some girls wearing outrageously provocative (for Egypt) clothing in the beach resorts.

If you can pass off as Egyptian, I'd suggest you dress a little more conservatively if you want to avoid the worst of the petty catcalls (harmless but a nuisance nonetheless). Otherwise, they'll think you're a disrespectful local lass.

You really need protection for your head as the sun is brutal in summer. I'd only suggest wearing a higab, if anything, for practical reasons, and then, only if you're Muslim. Otherwise, a broad-rimmed hat will do. It will mark you out as a tourist, however, but you don't want to get heat stroke like I did once - not a nice experience!

I met a Swiss girl in Cairo who had quite a dark complexion and could easily pass off as a local. She received none too subtle comments about her dress until she made it clear that she was a foreign tourist which immediately shut the sleazebags up.

BTW, I'm a guy, so everything I've said is from observation and hearsay not from personal experience!

Have a great time.

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138
 - posted
Wear just exactly what you want to wear and just be yourself for goodness sake. If you are coming in summer wear a hat and cover your skin up as much as possible or you will get badly burned very quickly. Drink lots of water. Charlie

salama
Member # 5941
 - posted

Habibi, Egypt is a civilised country, I wear now in Britain what I did in my home land (Egypt) I see no difference in either places.
We are not expected to wear a slimmy in the street even here in the UK , people do look and comment only with their eyes. In Egypt we use our mouth to speak.
Village people are traditionally clothed, Kahirians ( people of Cairo ) are not.
As another author mentioned earlier, your features are typically Egyptian, you will easily blend with the natives.Enjoy Egypt.

annie_81
Member # 4149
 - posted
well, speaking from my experience as a brown hair brown eyes woman in her 20s, it takes more than that to blend in. looks like Egt can recognise a foreigner from far away... i prefer to dress conservatively. I wear long skirts all the time and a blouse or a sweater. Egt women like pink A Lot! I guess you should do some shopping downtown, on talat harb st. there are at least 1000 stores selling clothes for young women. you can also take a look at my pics if you want: http://photos.yahoo.com/anniethegreatest

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com