EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » South Cairo » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Gail
Member # 6886
 - posted
What is it like in South Cairo? What kind of lifestyle do people lead?

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
Rich, poor, middle income...the same as in the rest of Cairo! Sorry, Gail that is too general a question to be given a specific reply!

Gail
Member # 6886
 - posted
newcomer,

Thanks. I didn't realize you'd need more specific information. Here in the states some cities or sections of cities are easily described. For example, people typically know exactly what West Philadelphia is like compared to South Philadelphia. It's okay. I was just trying to do a little research before my visit.

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
Hi Gail!

The difference is that most cities in the US are comparatively new cites, purpose built and designed within the last two hundred years or so, where as most cities in most other countries, especially those with a civilization of over 5,000 years old have grown and spread naturally. You will find that most old big cities are usually a collection of small villages that have grown larger until they met each other and each of those villages could have rich and poor areas in them, so things are not so clearly defined.

In Cairo there are certain districts that tend to have certain characteristics and maybe a richer or a poorer population, but there isn’t a clear north/south divide as in the States. If you are planning to come to Cairo and know the name of the areas you are interested in you could first do a search on this site as people have asked about this quite a lot, and then if you don’t find what you’re looking for ask again.

Gail
Member # 6886
 - posted
newcomer,

Thanks for the explanation. It certainly makes sense. I hadn't really thought about the city's history when I asked about it. It actually sounds even more intriguing now!

_
Member # 3567
 - posted
Gail, people are very friendly and helpful in all parts of the city - though the majority lives in poverty. Hope that helps.

Gail
Member # 6886
 - posted
Tigerlily,
It helps a lot. Thanks.

sadik12
Member # 7618
 - posted
can anyone tell me anything about the area in Cairo referred to as Abbassiyya? I can't seem to find out any specific info, ie characteristics of the neightborhood, housing costs, etc.

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
Hi sadik12!

I am sure we have local people who can tell you more about it, but it seems to have been an area that was once thriving, with Ayn Shams University and Hospitals, a Coptic Cathedral, and some quite grand looking old buildings, but now it seems to have lost its former glory and its just another downtown area quite near the railway line and the main bus and train stations of Ramses. That’s just the impression that I get driving through it anyway. I would imagine that there are probably few non-Egyptians living in the area and that could mean that property prices, if there are any places for sale (as I understand Egyptians have traditionally been reluctant to sell their property to strangers) wouldn’t be falsely inflated.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com