EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » women's clothing » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
When and if I do go to Cairo I want to be extremely respectful of the culture there. Could anyone give me pictures of how people dress there? ( women) and perhaps suggestions of websites where i can purchase a real pretty hajib? (sp?)

Guest Of Life
Member # 11462
 - posted
i don't think u will need to wear hijab just wear whatever u like as long as it's not too tight or revealing.
even that u can find females here wearing it [Wink]
depends where u will be.

geezer
Member # 6244
 - posted
Yes, western clothing is fine. Loose is best.

Capri-length slacks are nice, down below the knee. Long skirts. And I wear tops that usually go to the wrist, at least down below the elbow. No open collars. Sounds hot, but if you wear natural cotton, it isn't so bad. You can be yourself and still be respectful. [Smile]

Dalia*
Member # 10593
 - posted
You get beautiful scarfs in all materials, colours and patterns in abundance in Cairo. So if you should decide to cover your head you could easily get something when you're there.

A headscarf can be useful if you want to avoid harassment but it's neither required nor necessary in Egypt. You will see all styles of clothing on Cairo's street - from completely covered women in black abayas to girls in skintight Jeans and T-Shirts.
I also recommend lose clothes in natural fabrics, that works best in the heat and you'll feel "properly covered".
I usually wear wide linen or cotton pants / skirts and long tunics ethnic style on the street. I see lots of those tunics in Europe at the moment, they seem to be in fashion this year ... maybe you can get something like that in the States.

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
thanks! i'm still trying to wrap my mind around the whole 'you won't be hot in a long sleeved tunic' thing. [Smile]

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
Doodle..if you're planning on going in December you won't have to worry about heat. You'll dress just as you would in here in fall..sweaters, jackets, jeans, etc. Unless you stay in a hotel or flat with central heating most homes do not have this. You will freeze at night! The temp in Cairo in Dec/Jan during the day is upper 60s-low 70s and night is low 60s-50s. I was in Cairo and Alex in Dec/Jan and froze my butt off at night.

In summer is another story all together! I was in Alex last month and it was pretty warm not as hot as Cairo though. I wore long sleeved cotton tunics and jeans or long skirts and hijab. I didn't go out during the day much...too friggin hot. At night there was a nice breeze so it was more bearable.

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
If you're Christian I'm sure your bf will not expect you to wear hijab so no worries there. If you feel the need to I would wait to purchase some in Cairo. They have beautiful scarves and scarf pins there. You can have your bf's sisters or female cousins show you how to pin your hijab Egyptian style.

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
Thanks! I want to wear it out of respect for him. [Smile]

Soghantouta
Member # 11674
 - posted
But are you a muslim? Or do you intend to become one?

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
No I am Catholic. I am open minded about accepting his religion and I have agreed to meet with some man (i forget the title) at his mosque to learn more about his faith.

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
Imam.

There are also many books about Islam in English. One of my favorites is "Teach Yourself Islam" by Ruqaiyya Maqsood. It's very easy to understand.

Soghantouta
Member # 11674
 - posted
That's great you want to become a muslim [Smile] Congratulation! I think you should rather meet a lady, who would talk to you about all the aspects of life as a muslim woman. Keep us posted about this next important step!

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
whoa... I didn't say for sure that I want to become a muslim. [Smile]

Baby steps here. [Wink]

I am open to learning about his faith. My two daughters will remain Catholic no matter what since that is what their father and I agreed to. My religion is not really up for grabs, but certain things that I have read about the muslim faith does interest me so we'll see how it goes. [Smile]

sunburnt
Member # 4986
 - posted
What are u thinking? You are coming to Egypt to meet a man you have never met and already you are talking about wearing the hijab out of respect for him, he already has you brainwashed, let him wear a crusifix out of respect to you

aminali
Member # 11320
 - posted
Dear doodlebut.. you will be most welcomed to Egypt anyway.. wear whatever you like regardless your faith.. Our Islam is the religion of respecting people through dealing with them respectifully as well as respecting and esteeming other religions. without those rules you won't be a true muslim. Just do what's your heart and mind dictate without any prejudice for or against any culture or believes. I'm a muslim man graduated from Islamic university and telling you this truth.. Islam is always and will be an open-minded religion suites all ages and eras. Pls listen to your heart and mind and respect yourself first before seeking respect for others.. thanks and good luck. Pls don't hesitate to ask for any help that I can do for you my dear sister..

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
aminali - thank you.

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
doodle, you need to have a camel, and cover your head to your toes and you are not allowed to speak looooooooooooool.

doodle, egypt is like any other country get any egyptian magazine (from a middle eastern store) there is one called Sayedati, you will see how they dress, egypt is still part of the world they are not retarted as you think... and the hijab is not a fashion, it is a way of life for moslem woman who believe in islam and make the big decision to wear it...., wearing the hijab just to satisfy others... does not make anysense does enjoy yourself and have fun...

best of luck

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
Hey do I smell sarcasm?

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
yeah =)

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
Ahhhh the sweet smell of sarcasm in the morning [Smile]

I like your style [Wink]

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
ok stupid question...I really would LOVE to ride a camel...but do you sit on top of the hump or in front of it?

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
you ride in between the humps sis but they smell bad and they bite, not the humps of course but the camel....looooooool

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
Camels bite?????

Ok faggetaboutit then! rofl

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
ur funny girl,,, hey you go there enjoy your time and stop thinking all these cliches about egyptian lady coz WE ARE THE BEST ;)have a good time dear [Smile] )

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
I'm terrified of camels.

When I was in Giza I wanted my pic taken with a camel..standing next to the camel. The owner of the camel told my husband to have me sit on the camel for the pic. I agreed so I get up on this horrid beast. The camel owner tricked me! He made the camel stand up...whoa! I screamed! My husband started screaming at the man to get me off the camel. The man wouldn't get me down. My husband then grabbed the guy by the neck and told him to get me down off the damn camel. That was scary! I got off the camel..my husband grabbed my hand and marched away from the camel and his driver grumbling all the while.

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
hey MadamM i like the location "private hell " its cool looooooooooool need some cold snaples?

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
I'd kill for some cold aseer asab actually. We don't have that here and I'm dying for it [Frown]

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
aseer asab or aseer hobbak looooooooooool oh my god ur so funny!!!!!!!

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
i think in latin american neighborhood you will find the assab, hope its not mesawes.. [Wink]

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
LOL! I was serious..I want aseer asab (sugarcane juice). But I wouldn't mind some of the other either [Wink]

bb
Member # 11108
 - posted
Mmmm, me too (the sugarcane juice that is!!)!

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
tough luck mango come first !

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
Crap! I can get that here anytime.

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
bristish (looking around me) i thought it was brooklyn USA!!!!!!!!!!!

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
or maybe boolaa'a el dakroor???

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
OOPS WRONG topic sorry i meant to write this under another one soowwyy

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
I'm not a brit..I'm a yank through and through [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by lovingspirit:
bristish (looking around me) i thought it was brooklyn USA!!!!!!!!!!!

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
how about those nice silk poncho things? Maybe wear one over a t-shirt and that way my arms are covered in public but I can whip it off easily once I am in my own room?

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
Yeah that'd be good...but like I said before if you're planning on going in winter you can just wear the same kinda stuff you'd where here in autumn. Ponchos were actually quite popular in Egypt last winter.

Marion King
Member # 11703
 - posted
Hi just a little tip here about what to wear while in Egypt...please if you wear a petticoat under a long skirt don't do as I do and wear a nylon one as I spent most of the time looking aroung the pyramids etc, pulling the slip off my skin where it was sticking in the heat, get a cotton one if you wear one, cotton and Linen everything if possible...enjoy the experience!!!!
[Smile]

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
i'd say slaks (forgive the mispelling) are the best or even jeans,

doodlebut
Member # 11649
 - posted
oh thanks for telling me about the cotton linen 'cause i was going to buy some citiknit things from qvc and although they don't need ironing they definitely are not cotton!

Madame M.
Member # 8386
 - posted
Oh you'll roast your patooty off in citiknits. My aunt has some of that stuff and it doesn't breathe. Stick to 100% cotton or linen/cotton blend.

ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818
 - posted
Hi doodlebut!
Actually,i dont understand this cover up thing really.Im married to a muslim man,i live in Egypt but im wearing the same way as i do in Europe.jeans,t-shirts (not long sleeved ones!!),or if i feel like i wear something with long sleeves too.I wear skirts (ofcourse not mini ones..Must be under ur knees).True,im never walking on the streets,im in the car always.
I dont believe u would get more stares if u wore normally and less if ur hair is covered by a veil.I ^tried^ the veil when i first got here and i felt much more stared ,than without it.
Good luck!

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
The idea of wearing non-Muslim woman wearing a veil in a Muslim country to show respect is a bit like asking a non-Christian woman to wear a cross round her neck when she goes to Rome! The veil is something that should be worn as a symbol of religious affiliation for a Muslim woman; it's not a cultural thing that should be worn to blend in and make you less obvious. It may have that effect, but in fact that is gained by pretending to be something that you are not. You can show respect just by dressing modestly.

lovingspirit
Member # 11660
 - posted
at last twop people who makes sens Vivaladiva and new comer, thank god someone is sober and knows that egypt is not saudia... amen to that [Wink]

maryanne
Member # 9311
 - posted
Doodlebug here are a few links [Smile]

hijabs

Hijab

Hijab

[Wink]

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
quote:
The idea of wearing non-Muslim woman wearing a veil in a Muslim country to show respect is a bit like asking a non-Christian woman to wear a cross round her neck when she goes to Rome! The veil is something that should be worn as a symbol of religious affiliation for a Muslim woman; it's not a cultural thing that should be worn to blend in and make you less obvious. It may have that effect, but in fact that is gained by pretending to be something that you are not. You can show respect just by dressing modestly.

I agree it is a religious thing for women. But I also know how it is to be there and be foreign. The people a lot of times feel free to apply thier idea of western women, if you are not wearing one. The men especially. I didn't wear one last time. Next time I will.

That being said, I would only wear it out in public, not just hanging around with friends and family. I think my feeling has something to do with the amount of time you are there, and the places you will visit.

I lived there 2 months. I lived in a small city, and visited a small village every day. Over time peopl feel more comfortable with you. The feel free to treat you as they expect you to be. Generally western women are seen as easy and rich. I learned this the hard way. Although I did prove them wrong.

Also in smaller cities and villages, where they never see foreigners, things change a bit.

I would wear hijab for two reasons. Ease my time when being out and about. Out of repsect for him and his family. Gossip in those villages is abundant. Believe it or not, even though the family might not expect you to wear it. They respect you whether you do or dont. A lot of times it can affect the way the people talk about you and the family.

So yes, I agree that a woman should wear hijab because it's her choice. Also that it's a religious thing. But I have also been there, lived there, and experienced the more close minded side of Egyptian perspective.

But that's just my experience. Don't feel bad about wearing or not wearing one Doodlebug. Use your instincts, and talk to your guy about it. He will help you to make the right choice for you.

[Smile]

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
Thanks everyone. I'm actually a muslimah now so it's a nonissue. Well not entirely a nonissue since I have issues with it in other areas but that's a whole nuther ball of wax. Anyways thanks. [Smile]

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com