EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » “I Wish They’d Killed Me” - Rape Atrocities in Congo » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
cHiMpSs
Member # 11270
 - posted
Three years ago Henriette Nyota said she was gang raped as her husband and four children were forced to watch. The men in uniform then disemboweled her husband and continued raping her and her two oldest daughters, 10 and 8. The assault went on for three days. “I wish they’d killed me right there with my husband,” she said, “What use am I now? Why did those animals leave me to suffer like this?”

A couple of days ago I posted an overview of an article found in this month’s Forced Migration Review on the lack of reproductive health needs in Darfur and how rape is being used as a tool of war. The quoted text is from an article in CNN today by Jeff Koinange on the situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (photo is from MSF). There aren’t enough medical professional or resources to treat women who have been sexually violated.

I want to excerpt part of the article which is an interview with Dr. Denis Mukwege Mukengere, the only physician in a hospital in eastern Congo where ten women who have been sexually-assaulted a day are treated and with financial resources earmarked for these women expected to run out by the end of June.

“Some of them have knives and other sharp objects inserted in them after they’ve been raped, while others have pistols shoved into their vaginas and the triggers pulled back,” said Dr. Denis Mukwege Mukengere. “It’s a kind of barbarity that only savages are capable of.” He added that “these perpetrators cannot be human beings.”

I didn’t include this passage to shock or upset, but to engage readers and force us to become more pro-active. We have to work to change policies overseas and look at normative approaches to dealing with sexual violence against women in an armed conflict
http://i10.tinypic.com/2ni796w.jpg
[Frown] it really does sadden me that this still goes on ..not animals not even barbarrians , IN HUMAN .

Albino_Eskimo
Member # 11479
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by cHiMpSs:
Three years ago Henriette Nyota said she was gang raped as her husband and four children were forced to watch. The men in uniform then disemboweled her husband and continued raping her and her two oldest daughters, 10 and 8. The assault went on for three days. “I wish they’d killed me right there with my husband,” she said, “What use am I now? Why did those animals leave me to suffer like this?”

A couple of days ago I posted an overview of an article found in this month’s Forced Migration Review on the lack of reproductive health needs in Darfur and how rape is being used as a tool of war. The quoted text is from an article in CNN today by Jeff Koinange on the situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (photo is from MSF). There aren’t enough medical professional or resources to treat women who have been sexually violated.

I want to excerpt part of the article which is an interview with Dr. Denis Mukwege Mukengere, the only physician in a hospital in eastern Congo where ten women who have been sexually-assaulted a day are treated and with financial resources earmarked for these women expected to run out by the end of June.

“Some of them have knives and other sharp objects inserted in them after they’ve been raped, while others have pistols shoved into their vaginas and the triggers pulled back,” said Dr. Denis Mukwege Mukengere. “It’s a kind of barbarity that only savages are capable of.” He added that “these perpetrators cannot be human beings.”

I didn’t include this passage to shock or upset, but to engage readers and force us to become more pro-active. We have to work to change policies overseas and look at normative approaches to dealing with sexual violence against women in an armed conflict
http://i10.tinypic.com/2ni796w.jpg
[Frown] it really does sadden me that this still goes on ..not animals not even barbarrians , IN HUMAN .

According to Mubarak and people who support Egypt intergrating Sudan into the "motherland" its called assimulation.

FairyDust
Member # 7138
 - posted
It is really sad what goes on in war torn countries. I had a student from Congo a couple of years ago. I helped the mother and son as much as possible, even taught her how to drive. She still had four or five children in Congo trying to get stable enough to be able to bring them over to the USA. One of her daughters was younger than the 8 year old I had in my class. Her husband was presumed dead, but from what she told me he was always out with the men of the town drinking and having other women.

DawnBev
Member # 11276
 - posted
Its just so sick and, like you say, inhuman. How can anyone possibly do that????

With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
I saw a documentary about this, it was really sad. These women are really hurt physically and the emotional scars will probably never leave them. It just seems that in Black Africa nobody seems to care about what is going on, it isn't politically beneficial enough I guess [Roll Eyes]

DawnBev
Member # 11276
 - posted
I know - there are so many atrocities going on but it just seems that Middle Eastern/Islamic countries gets the news. All the fuss about Saddam Hussein and his dictatorship - there are evil dictatorships going on in Central Africa but nobody seemed bothered about that. Politics and Oil I suppose.
I heard someone say its because its Africa and therefore classed as a tribal issue, and so trivialised and ignored.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com