EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Misr Station in Alex » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Albino_Eskimo
Member # 11479
 - posted
I have been at this depot mainly for maxibus boarding. But I did go into the train station for a map of Alex, a map an ES username claimed existed. Well it was supposed to be in English/French/Arabi/German language and it wasn't there, it was never there. After spending 8 hours over 2 days going into private libraries (bookstores) and public libraries. It drove me nuts and no one has heard of this fricking map. Thanks for giving me bogus information to waste precious shopping hours. [Roll Eyes]

But while I was a the train station about 3 different older Egyptian dudes who spoke fluent English approached me wanting to help me find the map. After the second older guy approached me and my sister in law, she started to get scared. When the third showed up she jerked my arm and pulled me away from the station. One of the policemen posted there started to pull two of the older guys aside to intregate them.

First:
Has anyone else heard of this fricking 4 language map of Alex?

Second:
Why would these older Egyptian guys very fluent in English even want to approach me, let alone want to show me the "bookshop" where I can buy this particular map of Alex via his private car with very tinted windows.

Its been discussed somewhat after I came back from my trip and the looks I got from my ex leaves me thinking there was something more to it.

WTF???

Albino_Eskimo
Member # 11479
 - posted
By the way it was a very beautiful station, despite the problem with trash it was really a beautiful sight.

MY NAME IS NO MORE .....,
Member # 11270
 - posted
ive been there i had a a map of alex i went to my uncles grave in alamein ,u see needed a map ,oh im sorry something went wrong you think u was setup or they knew who u was ,,and i loved alexandria as well did you ...,when did you go to the station the time i went it was so so clean even the train i was in first class very very nice ,i was on honey moon at the time and taking a pilgramige at the same time ...w/s.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
No need to freak out over a map Sono. I found mine at Raml station and since the print mentioned the Alex library I suggest you go over there and ask in their bookshop for it. Hope you will find one. Or I will have to send you mine!:-) Bought several just in case. Good luck!

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
To be more precise: the kiosk at the small square the last stop of the tram is at Raml station. But you may get better information at the bookshop of the Alex library, they seem better organised. If it is sold out it is just bad luck, but they might inform you about it.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
You don't have to enter the library to reach the shop it is at their entrance.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
http://www.bibalex.org/English/Overview/overview.htm

As you can see it is near the shore on the corniche heading fort Qaitbey not heading the Stanleybridge

jessie
Member # 681
 - posted
Maps Alex. They have them, in different languages, at the Tourist office near the Cecil hotel.Probably have them on the desk of the Cecil too.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
Raml station is not far from the Alex library.
Just walk from the shore into the city till you cross the tram and take it to Raml station.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
The Sofitel Cecil hotel, also near Raml station and the Alex Library (Bibliotheca Alexandrina).
You just looked in the wrong corner of the city!:-)

*Albino_Eskimo*
Member # 12077
 - posted
I spent 8 hours over two days looking for one particular map. It was supposed to be in Arabi, French, English and Dutch. It was supposed to be very detailed all city map.

I saw other maps but it tended to be the same damn thing as the one they give out at the tourism authority office.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
Oh Sono, if it is the same map you are obviously not very happy with it!:-)

I am still not sure you found the same map at the tourist office. Mine says explicitely:
- xxxxxxxxxxxx (something in arabic)
- Welcome to Alexandria
- Herzlichen willkommen in Alexandrias

It goes on (on the backside) with
- The pearl of the Mediterranean
- La meilleure place sur la mediterranean
- Der beste platz am mittel-meer

Don't believe it has anything Dutch, but it is good enough to me

Then it has a part with all the neigbourhoods in arabic and latin script

Als0 a more detailed part with both and finally inside an index of consulats, cultural centers, hotels, hospitals, stations and whatever beneath a rather detailed map in arabic and latin script where you can find anything considering the index and the icons, surrounded with ads of the organisations and hotels.

I have to admit that a lot of streets do go unmentioned but then again, a lot of streets are just known to the inhabitants since the signs came off years ago!:-)

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com