EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » EGYPT AIR.....I'D LIKE TO KNOW » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
amrssnowangel
Member # 6789
 - posted
I will be flying via Egypt Air in January for my THIRD visit to wonderful Egypt. This is my first flight with Egypt Air out of NYC in USA direct to Cairo. Can anyone tell me about room inside the plane, the seat sizes, what to expect while onboard? I have flown other flights such as Air France and Air Lingus but this is my first on Egypt Air. ANY information would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

mysticheart
Member # 6838
 - posted
Going economy you have about the same room as on Air france. Egypt Air is more basic though, there will not be the little tv in the back of the seat in front of you. They have only the big screens at the front and smaller ones here and there in the isle. They are not so great about offering drinks in between the scheduled times and are a bit slow to respond to the call lights. Over all though they are kind and respectful. You will have plenty of food. If the flight is not too full you can ask to switch seats to a less crowded row but if you want to do this catch an attendant early in the boarding and let them know you are interested in this. Upon landing passengers always applaud the pilot for landing safely. You will be in the dark for much of the flight. They will ask that the shades be lowered and the lights will be turned out after the dinner is served. Hope it is helpful, ive flown them a few times. I prefer Air France and BA over all so far.

MY NAME IS NO MORE .....,
Member # 11270
 - posted
i think it depends where u are cause i know with egypt air flying from england ive always flown with them and we got dricks every 10mins i felt like a water pool but i must say they are lovely and respectful and the men mostly its me who always serve you out of the 5times ive only seen two woman there is always a woman cause of a problem with a female if she get sick or summat but other wise its steward men ,and some you cud die for ,,....and its always fish or beef ur served from here and its nice well i liked ,,and if im correct there s aplace where u can pray if u know the time to which country ur traveling over ,but thats at the bck if me correct well it was on the way from england ive known people to have it different to what i had ,,and they are so children friendly well was wif my daughter got to visit the cockpit and shes made loads of friends ,good luck with your journey i hope you have a pleasent flight and enjoy /w/salaams chimps...

CairoStudent
Member # 10528
 - posted
Egypt Air is bullshit, they suck, have a nice time.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552
 - posted
Having flown many times with Egypt Air, I have grown to like the service. The planes are not the most modern but they are comfortable. Delays are not bad either, compared to BA, Air France and KLM, in my experience. The staff have always been helpful and efficient. As they are the only direct scheduled airline now flying to certain parts of Egypt, there is little choice.

amrssnowangel
Member # 6789
 - posted
I noticed they are the only direct flights and the ONLY ones with a return flight not leaving at 4AM to come home. Thank you for the Advice...

CAIROSTUDENT: why do you feel they are so bad? What was your experience?

Im not looking for frills...just a quick, comfortable flight with no layovers and a decent return leaving time from Cairo home.

Thanks to all,

Left.Side.Lying.State.Of.Mind
Member # 6244
 - posted
Isn't it 12 hours from NY to Cairo?

I flew EgyptAir home once...the flight just seemed really long to me. But the flight from NY to DC is only an hour tops....so it's definitely less travel time overall.

I flew first class that time, so I can't really comment on roominess of the rest of the plane. I was thankful for first class for the long flight. Although if you could get a bulkhead seat, that might not be bad at all.

Chinderella angel TORMENTOR
Member # 11953
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Left.Side.Lying.State.Of.Mind:

I flew EgyptAir home once...the flight just seemed really long to me. But the flight from NY to DC is only an hour tops....so it's definitely less travel time overall.

I flew first class that time, so I can't really comment on roominess of the rest of the plane. I was thankful for first class for the long flight. Although if you could get a bulkhead seat, that might not be bad at all.

It feels long from Cairo to NY because the pilot flew to the far north...... I dont get why he has to fly over Canada to get us to NY [Confused]

Strange route isnt it???

Member # 6244
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Chinderella angel TORMENTOR:
quote:
Originally posted by Left.Side.Lying.State.Of.Mind:

It feels long from Cairo to NY because the pilot flew to the far north...... I dont get why he has to fly over Canada to get us to NY [Confused]

Strange route isnt it???

I don't know. I always thought it was to keep the plane somewhat close to land in case of an emergency. I'd rather be near a land mass (and multiple airports) than in the middle of the Atlantic.

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
I loved flying Egypt Air. Both flights were over half empty. People were hopping back and forth. They didn't mind. You are offered tons of drinks. Really, they couldn't have been nicer.

sunburnt
Member # 4986
 - posted
The world is smaller at the top so it takes less fuel to make the journey something like that

Member # 6244
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by sunburnt:
The world is smaller at the top so it takes less fuel to make the journey something like that

Ah, thank you. I always wondered about this. [Smile]

maxman
Member # 12150
 - posted
"It feels long from Cairo to NY because the pilot flew to the far north...... I dont get why he has to fly over Canada to get us to NY

Strange route isnt it???"

Maybe it was the flight plan the captain had to file,airtraffic?Bad weather??god knows
[Smile] [Smile]

aXXo
Member # 12042
 - posted
the pilot dont choose the route by himslef .. the american authorities decide the route he must fly through .. because over the Ocean the direction of the wind change each minute .. and as the aircraft cant fly against the wind direction so they choose for the pilot other route to go away of the wind ..
as u know .. it is direct flight and it need alot of Gas to help the aircraft fly all the long journey .. so if he fly against the wind direction he will consume all the Gas and u will be eaten by a shark in the ocean [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

tootifrooti
Member # 9824
 - posted
I have a friend who works for American Airlines and she said that certain sizes of aircraft have to fly close to land.
London to NY fly over canada and greenland so that in the event of an emergency they have enough fuel to land. The bigger I the aircraft the more separate tanks they have for fuel so they can close some off. Thats why the jumbos can fly over the oceans apparently?
They also raise the window flaps, and put out lights, on take off and landing so the crew can notice any smoke or problems with wings etc ..............

aXXo
Member # 12042
 - posted
certain sizes of aircraft have to fly close to land

what this suppose to mean ???

of corse the Gas is enough and more than enough to the flight but flying against the wind can consume all extra Gas .. and the authorities understand this .. so they specify other routes according to the wind ..
EgyptAir dont have now Jumbos .. they use Boeing 777 for flights across the ocean

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
I could never sit still for 12 hours. My back would go out and my trip would be ruined! I'm flying BA in December and plan on using the gym at the Heathrow Hilton to freshen up and get my circulation going again before the next 1/2 of the journey. Without that option I don't know what I'd do!

tootifrooti
Member # 9824
 - posted
ETOPS (Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards) is an acronym for an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) rule permitting twin-engined commercial air transports to fly routes that, at some points, are farther than a distance of 60 minutes flying time from an emergency or diversion airport. This definition allows twin-engined airliners—such as the Airbus A300, A320, and A330 families, and the Boeing 737, 757, 767, and 777—to fly long distance routes (especially over water, desert or remote polar areas) that were previously off-limits to twin-engined aircraft.

But in the case of UK to Canada it is the shortest route. [Smile]

oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
Yes, its to do with great circles (who remembers doing these in school math? See it was useful after all [Wink] ). If you look at this link and go down the page a bit there's a map showing a great circle flight path and a non-great circle 'jet stream' path between two locations. From northern latitudes, great circles are often the shortest route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle

ardooda
Member # 5159
 - posted
I've flown EgyptAir, BA, and AirFrance to Cairo from the U.S.
AirFrance was THE WORST!
EA was ok, as was BA.

Maria Aya
Member # 10618
 - posted
I'll tell you my experience after end November, flighing first time with Egypt Air, Athens - Cairo - Athens, instead of Olympic Airways.
Egypt Air, was a) normal timing and not middle of the night, b) cheaper than traveling in Greece with Olympic !!!

therock
Member # 12356
 - posted
ya dsamn right

[img]http://www.staceysstuff.com/images/rockssprev.JPG[/img]

ardooda
Member # 5159
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Maria Aya:
I'll tell you my experience after end November, flighing first time with Egypt Air, Cairo - Athens

I took that one. A pleasant flight. [Smile]

annie_81
Member # 4149
 - posted
Air France was the worse? Oh My!

For me, Air France was my best flying experience, better than Gulf, Emirates, Egypt, Swiss, etc.. Everything about the plane and the food and the flight was great. However, its rather expensive when compared to Egypt air so if money is your main concern than Egypt air is fine. Its average. As others said, the plane is less modern and service is average.

Bombay1
Member # 5213
 - posted
North atlantic tracks are determined by Shanwick in UK flying to North America and the US flying to Europe/Africa. ETOPS operation of twin engine aircraft are are based on the diversion time in minutes to a suitable alternate airport in an emergency that is available (ie weather minimums can be met for landing). These are awarded to an airline by the CAA (UK Airlines) FAA(USA) or the other applicable regulators in the country where the aircraft are registered.
The maximum is 180 minutes to which most airlines are permitted, this is based on additional equipment on the aircraft and the airlines crew Standard Operating Procedures and training. 180 minutes means that on the North atlantic Tracks and some flights over Africa, Twin engine aircraft can fly nearly all the available routes the same as 747 or a340 aircraft.
Egyptair fly a very modern fleet of 777 737 a320 a321 a330 a340 aircraft comparable with any European or North American airline. I have always found the flights to be very good and the staff especially in London very helpfull. Just wish when the have a flight ie between Hurghada and Luxor they would advetise it so the aircraft were not empty and then stop the filghts like they just have!

R

tami025
Member # 9181
 - posted
the length of flight does such so bake yourself some firecrackers* and you'll be cruisin and wondering, "man the flight attendants wear so much eye makeup!"

*(hash baked into peanut butter and spread between 2 crackers)

ardooda
Member # 5159
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
Air France was the worse? Oh My!

For me, Air France was my best flying experience, better than Gulf, Emirates, Egypt, Swiss, etc.. Everything about the plane and the food and the flight was great. However, its rather expensive when compared to Egypt air so if money is your main concern than Egypt air is fine. Its average. As others said, the plane is less modern and service is average.

Service was horrible on AF!
I flew AirFrance partly because I had had a nice visit in Paris previously, didn't find the stereotype of rude French people true at all - but AirFrance was another story!
First, boarding the flight to Paris/Cairo, they'd decided at the last minute that many people's (already ok'd) carryon luggage was too large just as we were about to board, and had people scrambling to remove valuables and breakables before being forced to check their carry-ons. The woman informing many of us of this was like some drill sergeant giving orders. Since they had previously ok'd them and there were many people just about to board, they did check them without additional fees, but...
I'd used this same bag as carryon on many other flights with many other airlines, both domestic and international, and never before had had a problem ... used it on the internal EgyptAir flights that same trip without any complications.
Sevice was poor on the flight there, but on the return flight it was a nightmare (not to mention the three transfers due to construction at CDG airport).
After the problem with my carryon going to Cairo, I asked them very clearly as I was checking my larger bags if my carryon was too big or not.
They told me they didn't go by size, but by weight. They then put my two larger bags through while I waited.
After the first two were gone on the conveyer they weighed the small one - and told me it was too heavy and I would have to check it - charged me over a hundred dollars for excess luggage.
I would have liked the option of removing some items from my "too heavy" carryon and putting them in my larger checked bags, but they told me it was too late to do that as they'd already put them through! [Roll Eyes]
On the plane I put my tray table down and found it all smeared with white crusty stuff.
I showed the attendant and she literally threw a wet paper towel at me so I could clean it up myself, and walked on without a word.
They had a nice onboard menu - with a special asterisked and boldfaced note saying they were offerring Haagen-daz ice cream any time inflight in between meals.
When I ask a stewardess about it, she told me not to have any because then everyone would want some. [Confused]
They were the worst crew ever, and the plane one of the dirtiest - not to mention them spraying canisters of insecticide over their shoulders as they walked down the aisles (some health regulation?)
When I finally arrived at my home destination ... guess what? The "extra" baggage I had had to pay to check was missing! [Eek!]
It did eventually show up - but! [Mad]

Pe@rson
Member # 6764
 - posted
I for one can't fault Egyptair, and I'm sure you'll enjoy their service.

Check these reviews:
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/egypt.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Bombay1:
Just wish when the have a flight ie between Hurghada and Luxor they would advetise it so the aircraft were not empty and then stop the filghts like they just have!

R

Expect the route to come back in April07 as Egyptair Express launches services. Exciting times for Egyptair's domestic services.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com