EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Passing Through London? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
FairyDust
Member # 7138
 - posted
I am taking a flight through London Heathrow and I have a 9 hour layover. I have never been to London and I was wondering what things I might have time to get out and see in about 6 hours of time before catching my next flight. I know there are lots of British people on ES. Thanks!

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
Hi fairydust. When will you be there? I have a 8 1/2 layover on the day after Christmas. [Smile]

From everything I have learned here and on other sites, it's not worth the risk to actually venture out too far from the airport since you just never know. If it were longer then maybe I would but instead I am going to venture into the Hilton which I believe is a 5 minute walk from terminal 4 and I'm going to use their exercise area which has a pool, sauna, etc. Both of my flights arrive and depart from this terminal so I don't think it should be too too bad.

Good luck!

Mrs C
Member # 10808
 - posted
9 hours is plenty time to see some sights!

you MUST use the tube though.. dont even consider taking a taxi or the bus. go to the embankment and see the tower of london, tower bridge, the millennium wheel etc. id advise you to take a tour of the tower of london with a beefeater. visit the tate, see HMS belfast, climb the monument (where the great fire of london started)... walk down the thames to westminster, see big ben and the houses of parliament and westminster abbey.. then walk up past 10 downing street to trafalgar square and down the mall to buckingham palace.

go to leicester square and walk up to picadilly circus.. maybe walk up regent street to oxford street and do a bit of shopping!

just have a wander around and take some photos!

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
Well technically..the layover is 9 hours right? You have to take into consideration the time it will take to get from the terminal you arrive at to your tourist destination. Then the time it will take to get back to the terminal of your departing flight. Then remember you need to arrive 'x' hours before your flight departs for security checks, etc.

For me, my 8 1/2 hour layover would leave me with about 1 hour of touristy fun, which due to my being a worry wort would not be fun for me.

I guess it also depends on the day and the time of day thinking of traffic and all.

Trust me I would LOVE to see Big Ben and the Queen!! I might just go to London for a vacation in and of itself 'cause it would be so cool!!!

FairyDust
Member # 7138
 - posted
Why do you suggest not taking a taxi? Is it about the money or the time? Both? Neither? I didn't go out on the town in Amsterdam last year during my long layover and I regretted it. So this time I am going for it. I found that the security checks in the 6 airports I went through last year weren't too bad. And I am good at managing and gauging my time.

oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by FairyDust:
Why do you suggest not taking a taxi? Is it about the money or the time? Both? Neither? I didn't go out on the town in Amsterdam last year during my long layover and I regretted it. So this time I am going for it. I found that the security checks in the 6 airports I went through last year weren't too bad. And I am good at managing and gauging my time.

A taxi from Heathrow will cost you a fortune (about £30-£40 one way) and take forever. Heathrow is a long way out of London and it can take 2 hours to get from central London to Heathrow by road on a good day.

If you are feeling rich enough, and brave enough to risk the time, then take the Heathrow Express train which will whisk you from Heathrow to London Paddington in about 15-20 minutes and cost you £14.50 one way (not sure if a return would be cheaper than 2xsingles) then you maybe would have time to take one of those tourist bus trips which take you round all the sites in a couple of hours.
If you take the underground, it will be a lot cheaper but could take you up to an hour to get anywhere interesting for a short stay tourist.

If you have a couple of places in mind you would particularly like to see, post back and the Londoners can work out a journey for you!

Mrs C
Member # 10808
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by FairyDust:
Why do you suggest not taking a taxi? Is it about the money or the time? Both?

time. and yes, its very expensive. heathrow has its own tube station, it will take you straight from the airport to the tourist attractions and back. its fast and cheap and easy to use.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com