EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Arabic words » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Elaineuk
Member # 12382
 - posted
Hi,
I have found a site with basic Egyptian Arabic words, I would like to just learn a few words like 'please' 'thank you' 'yes' 'no' 'leave me alone, lol' but it dosn't tell you how to pronounce them, I wondered if anyone could post me a few words and how they are pronounced please. I don't want to pay out for a course or books because I only want to learn a few words for when I go to Egypt for a week.

Thanks

Elaine

denisegr
Member # 5167
 - posted
There is a site called Babel arabic which shows basic words and how to pronounce them.

Ayisha
Member # 4713
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Elaineuk:
Hi,
I have found a site with basic Egyptian Arabic words, I would like to just learn a few words like 'please' 'thank you' 'yes' 'no' 'leave me alone, lol' but it dosn't tell you how to pronounce them, I wondered if anyone could post me a few words and how they are pronounced please. I don't want to pay out for a course or books because I only want to learn a few words for when I go to Egypt for a week.

Thanks

Elaine

please = min fadlak..........but please is rarely used

Thank you = shukran

yes = aywa

No = la' (thats a short la! not a laaa)

go away = emshee, this is abrupt so use sparingly if you so pissed of you really had it!!

best if you had enough hassle is to hold up your hand and say 'khalas' (kh is like 'ch' in 'loch', more like clearing your throat) [Big Grin]

With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
how about 'awsa mush killa' ???? [Big Grin]
say it in a really CRAZY way to scare the straights [Wink]

Elaineuk
Member # 12382
 - posted
Thanks for the interpretations, I will probably make a fool of myself trying to say them lol

Elaine

oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Elaineuk:
Hi,

Thanks

Elaine

Get a phrasebook - the "A Rough Guide Egyptian Arabic" or "Lonely Planet Egyptian Arabic" are both really good and don't cost much, less than a fiver. Find in the travel books section of a decent bookshop.
I've found Egyptians very forgiving about my crap pronounciation and really appreciate you making the effort! Of course, sometimes they laugh themselves silly when you use a female ending to a male, or accidentally use the wrong verb form or ask for a pigeon when you mean the pyramids or whatever!

Elaineuk
Member # 12382
 - posted
Ha ha ha, I dread to think what I will be asking for when I try speaking a bit of their language lol.

karla
Member # 5472
 - posted
Elaineuk here a link where you can find pronounced too (Egyptian Arabic) :
http://www.touregypt.net/translat.htm

Elaineuk
Member # 12382
 - posted
Thanks Karla I will try that out. I've also ordered a phrase book.

Thanks

Elaine

mac0623
Member # 10529
 - posted
crazy is madgenoon

mac0623
Member # 10529
 - posted
elaine is jemealet not sure if thats how you spell it i can talk arbic but dont ask me spell it

mysticheart
Member # 6838
 - posted
I just ordered the pimsleur comprehensive I course for egyptian arabic. A bit pricey but the online site gives you the first course as an example after you buy it and it is going to be worth it. The first lesson is about how to say excuse me and do you undertand arabic/ english. how to reply to that. the words for mr and miss. no and yes. it teaches you in sentences not just one word at a time. Its pretty cool, 30 lessons in all and 30 minutes per lesson all audio so that you learn the correct ways to say it. Also gives you access to something called expand your vocabulary, that is written arabic words, just words on flash cards online. You can also purchase just the first 8 lessons through this site for about 20$ usd and that one is guaranteed or your money back. The full version is not money back unless it is unopened but they do offer a buy back program for when you are finished with it. http://www.pimsleuraudio.com/pimsleur_products.php?cPath=149&cPath2=397&cPath3=308

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com