EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » any one get Vaccines?? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
magnona777
Member # 12466
 - posted
I did NOT get any.. and neither am I going to in the future.. BUT i've had friends who went OR are planning to go.. and they got a shot before they went to Egypt.. anyone heard of this???

Samarra_Anissa
Member # 12077
 - posted
My mother did. Still came home sick, covered in bug bites, fast stomach, amoung other ailments.

Don't bother.

Tream Lefty
Member # 6244
 - posted
I don't think you need any additional vaccinations that aren't already recommended for people living in the U.S.

Tetanus booster maybe. Hep B if you never had it. All the rest we should have from childhood.

unsure
Member # 12244
 - posted
When I go, I will take the shots since I have multiple sclerosis.

magnona777
Member # 12466
 - posted
well for some reason I wanna say it was something about Typhoid?? something especially for traveling to 3rd world countries.. i dont know.. I didnt do it.. but I didnt know if it was common

Tream Lefty
Member # 6244
 - posted
I have no clue. I thought I read in a travel book that some vaccines might be needed for upper Egypt, but since I was only going to Cairo, nothing was necessary.

But I can't find anything to corroborate that online. Sorry.

soozi
Member # 11108
 - posted
I had typhoid, hep B and tetanus. All these are recommended at UK doctors for travel to Egypt and until very recently for Turkey as well!

BANANA FACE., high on banana syrup
Member # 11270
 - posted
yep me had them ..need a up date now on my hepB
just had hepC DONE cus of wrkingin the health sector .but hey i know i was imformed by my doctors that i had have then done 4weeks prior to flying .........

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
I had those same questions before I went. My guy is a doctor. He said if you have nothing else.......get the Hep B. There is a lot of it there. And once you go, you will see why. Their food handling practices are definately not the same standards as what us westerners are used to.

I had Typhoid, Heb B, and tetanus. Everything else I had from childhood, or in the last few years. Hep A too included in that. I went to www.cdc.gov you can get a lot of info there. Not only about what is suggested or required, but also why. Seeing the charts, and reading the info helped me a lot.

HTH

magnona777
Member # 12466
 - posted
well I knew the "food handling" was quite different when I saw the wooden carts of exposed - not even covered by a cloth - cookies, nuts and bread getting dragged around in traffic by some guy not even wearing gloves [Razz]

FairyDust
Member # 7138
 - posted
I think it is a good idea for everyone to Have the Hepatitis B and tetanus wherever you are. I didn't get anything else updated for Egypt because I was staying in the major cities and drinking bottled water, however Hepatitus A would have been a good idea because I didn't know who was preparing my food (but I didn't have time). Now when I was preparing to live in Jordan I my Hepatitus B updated and got a typhoid vaccine, and yellow fever because I was planning on traveling to other countries in Africa and the Middle East. I WOULD RECOMMEND ANY GIRL WHO IS GOING TO BE SLEEPING WITH ANYONE IN EGYPT, ESPECIALLY IN THE GIGALO REGIONS OF LUXOR, HURGADA, SHARM, ETC. TO GET THE NEW HPV VACCINE TO PREVENT HPV WICH CAN LEAD TO GENITAL WARTS ADN CERVICAL CANCER-CURRENTLY IT IS ONLY FOR GIRLS AGED 12-26, HOPEFULLY THAT WILL CHANGE FOR THE OLDER LADIES SOON.

Just Call Me A Lackey
Member # 10626
 - posted
It certainly doesn't hurt to get any boosters or vaccinations you might need. A friend of mine didn't practice food safety or handling nor did he have any vaccinations, and when we returned from Chile, it was discovered he had come down with a nice case of typhoid. That's what eating at a street vendor will do to you.... [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
Small children should also get vaccinated for TBC. The braininfection they might catch from it is to serious to ignore.

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
My pcp had me get the hep A shot and gave me the typhoid pills. Never mentioned hep B. I took one typhoid pill and got wicked sick for a week so I never took the rest.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
It seems some people never experience any trouble but also after your visit you should be carefull with any symptoms that could point to tropical parasites, intestinal infections like salmonella, shigella, guardia lamblia and colibrae or other coli-infections. Swimming might get you Bilharziasis (shistosomiasis) and there is the incidental outbreak of malaria/dengue in ricefieldarea's.
Next to severe diarrea and allergyoutbreaks due to mosquitobites, a kid cought Guardia Lamblia. We also cought human flees, on the street and twice coming from blankets in the plane and probably lice.
I always check on the internet for the current advice before we go to Egypt.

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
Typhoid pills? I hadn't heard of them. But my typhoid shot made me feel so bad. I can imagine what a pill would do. YUK

Hep B is so prevalent in Egypt. I looked at the colored map. Hep B was red. [Eek!] All of Egypt was red. That was enough for me. Hep B unlike Hep A is not cured so easily. I was told that by the time you know you have it, it's usually too late. That if you catch it when off somewhere....well.... Talking to my guy, he was bent on me having that one. So it seemed pretty important.

Omg......I'm still imagining the typhoid pill. Sorry doodlebug. Get the shot it's bad but not that bad.
[Frown]

Just Call Me A Lackey
Member # 10626
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
It seems some people never experience any trouble but also after your visit you should be carefull with any symptoms that could point to tropical parasites, intestinal infections like salmonella, shigella, guardia lamblia and colibrae or other coli-infections. Swimming might get you Bilharziasis (shistosomiasis) and there is the incidental outbreak of malaria/dengue in ricefieldarea's.
Next to severe diarrea and allergyoutbreaks due to mosquitobites, a kid cought Guardia Lamblia. We also cought human flees, on the street and twice coming from blankets in the plane and probably lice.
I always check on the internet for the current advice before we go to Egypt.

I had a case of Giardia once, it wasn't fun. I caught it in my own homestate not overseas... [Big Grin]

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
Some tropical disseases are getting 'westernized' I guess due to progressive intercontinental contact and warming of temperature. I know the daughter of a friend had Hep A probably from children that were also vacationing in homelands of parents.

Just Call Me A Lackey
Member # 10626
 - posted
No, that isn't always completely true. This species of Giardia occurs naturally in my state and so do many other diseases and parasites. Contrary to popular belief, not all tropical countries brought diseases to the West. Some already naturally occurred in places like the US, and some things from the West were exchanged to the East.

But, you are absolutely right about intercontinental contact and rising temperatures being a factor. Some types of parasites and diseases are evolving and adapting and are becoming resistant to drug treatments they used in the past.

FairyDust
Member # 7138
 - posted
Hepatitis B can't be taken quickly, it is a succession of of 3 shots and they must be given in a precise number of days, over a few months (also the same with HPV)so you can't just walk in a couple of weeks before you leave and get the shot. I had the Typhoid pills and they didn't make me feel bad at all, in fact none of my vaccines did. I was told that the pills last longer than the shot, so I opted for the pills.

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
so you can't just walk in a couple of weeks before you leave and get the shot.

Yes and no. All what you said is true. However, having it is most important. I had mine a week before. (1st one) I was told by all the medical professionals, that even that late is better than not getting it.

So plan it the best that you can, the amount of time they suggest. Fairy Dust is right. But have the shots regardless. That is most important.

I had mine late cuz I was waiting for a check from the IRS to pay for all that stuff. We all know how they are. LOL

My ex-husband got Giardias from drinking out of a water hose.

Just Call Me A Lackey
Member # 10626
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by sheba76:
so you can't just walk in a couple of weeks before you leave and get the shot.

Yes and no. All what you said is true. However, having it is most important. I had mine a week before. (1st one) I was told by all the medical professionals, that even that late is better than not getting it.

So plan it the best that you can, the amount of time they suggest. Fairy Dust is right. But have the shots regardless. That is most important.

I had mine late cuz I was waiting for a check from the IRS to pay for all that stuff. We all know how they are. LOL

My ex-husband got Giardias from drinking out of a water hose.

LOL! Mine came from swallowing river water in the mountains when I was a kid....I learned a valuable lesson after that... [Big Grin] [Razz]

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
hmmm...now I wonder what the heck shot I did get...A or B. They checked with the travel clinic before giving me anything so I'm assuming they know what they're doing. I also got a script for cipro just in case which is to be taken upon the first symptom of diarheah. Not sure what it is for. I have an auto-immune disease so I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to meds which is why the typhoid pill took me for a loop.

Anyway the hep shot I got is to be followed up once after I get back. Maybe it was the B?

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
Ok I just checked...it was the Hep A that I got. That is the kind that can be transmitted through veggies and such. The Hep B can only be transmitted through bodily fluids like blood, semen, etc.

Am I bovvered(WOTEVER)
Member # 11942
 - posted
Never had any injections if you're living there the best thing is to was the salad in vinegar and then wash them in water, it kills the bacteria. the same with chicken in vinegar and salt and then rinse in water. best thing with meat and chisken is to boil them and then cook them any way you like. strange but it works, you can use the water to make a soup with or simply pour it away the choice is yours

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
best thing with meat and chisken is to boil them and then cook them any way you like.

Why go through all that trouble? Cooking in any form as long as it is done thoroughly kills all bacteria and viruses. Don't it?

satanmademedoit
Member # 11766
 - posted
Hep A is the most important one to get before travelling to Egypt.
Rabies vac also recommended but does not guarantee total protection.
Hep C is beneficial if you are going to need blood products..then god help you!!

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
Washing up with vinegar is done in South America also and I found it helpfull. Cooking for yourself and taking all the hygieneprecations certainly is. The simple cleaning hands all the time while at it is. Pour water over the hose before touching it again after washing up.

satanmademedoit
Member # 11766
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Am I bovvered(WOTEVER):
Never had any injections if you're living there the best thing is to was the salad in vinegar and then wash them in water, it kills the bacteria. the same with chicken in vinegar and salt and then rinse in water. best thing with meat and chisken is to boil them and then cook them any way you like. strange but it works, you can use the water to make a soup with or simply pour it away the choice is yours

If you eat out you don't know the state of hygiene. That is why Hep A is important.
I know a colleague who caught hep A 9 years ago here from a place on Road 9.Remember that was when basically raw sewage used to be visible in the streets also.
He still takes turns of becoming unwell.

Am I bovvered(WOTEVER)
Member # 11942
 - posted
I only ate in the hotels I stayed in and followed my ex's, family and neighbours advice when preparing food. never had any probs humdulliah, touch wood. I did have friends who contracted dysentry, hep etc. I guess it's the luck of the draw and has more to do with your immune system. I have known people who have been ill after having injestions for various aliments. Me personally would rather let nature take it's course if it's going to happen it will regardless if you have injections or not.

foreignluvr
Member # 5854
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by sheba76:
I had those same questions before I went. My guy is a doctor. He said if you have nothing else.......get the Hep B. There is a lot of it there. And once you go, you will see why. Their food handling practices are definately not the same standards as what us westerners are used to.

I had Typhoid, Heb B, and tetanus. Everything else I had from childhood, or in the last few years. Hep A too included in that. I went to www.cdc.gov you can get a lot of info there. Not only about what is suggested or required, but also why. Seeing the charts, and reading the info helped me a lot.

HTH

I have never had any vaccinations before travelling and thank God, have always been ok.

Thanks Sheba76 for the link. The CDC is located in Atlanta where I currently live but I never once checked this site!!
Thanks again..

poetesse
Member # 12460
 - posted
I have had Typhoid and two types in my system at the same time, not so fun. You must be very very careful about the kinds of drinks and food you eat. I went to a doctor where I was vacationing at and I was given some Typhoid pills. That was to cure it, not to prevent it.
If you are considering getting shots before you go, doing some research wouldn't hurt.

sunburnt
Member # 4986
 - posted
I have had Hep A here and the doctor told me not to worry as it is very common and most people in the middle east/egypt etc have it and once you have had it you cant get it again

spacedust
Member # 12116
 - posted
Hep A is common in third world countries,yeah.
It can also take up to 1 year to recover and if you are lucky you will not be left with any liver damage.
It is the degree of liver sclerosis that you may have that affects your life!
Get the HAV Vaccine!

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com