EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » MOSQUITOS !!!!!!!!!! Aghhhhhh Help! » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579
 - posted
During my visit to Egypt I was bitten by mosquitos every day apart from 1 day (yes I remember exactly). This was during a nearly 3 month visit. I used plug in things and OFF when I went out. Ok, sometimew I did forget the above and paid for it. Itch Itch. I guess I must taste DELICIOUS, but does anybody have any ideas for me as I return again on Saturday. Anything available in UK which may be of help? I am taking Marmite with me as I heard that eating this puts the little darlins off. If all else fails I will cover myself in Marmite so that at least they will stick to me and hopefully not bite me........ [Eek!]

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
Citronella has always worked well for me.

Am I bovvered(WOTEVER)
Member # 11942
 - posted
Raid is good

Heather
Member # 9002
 - posted
Avon skin so soft is brilliant for keeping the blood suckers off !! it's the woodland fresh skin so soft...they used to bite even between my toes but this really works, you can see them flying off!! (joy)

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Am I bovvered(WOTEVER):
Raid is good

Ha ha ha ha ha. No way! [Big Grin]

Samarra_Anissa
Member # 12077
 - posted
wear the bug repellent to bed too.

Elaineuk
Member # 12382
 - posted
Speaking of Mosquito's....... I go to Egypt beginning of February, will they be around at that time?

Elaine

satanmademedoit
Member # 11766
 - posted
Yep,they are around. Plenty in Sharm at dusk but only a few in Cairo.

karla
Member # 5472
 - posted
In summer Milan is awful...seems that there comes all mosquitos on earth. Well I recommend "AUTAN" which has worked for me. I don't know if it available to buy in Egypt.
http://www.autan.com/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=1

Mizz Pickle
Member # 12509
 - posted
http://cgi.ebay.com/Avon-skin-so-soft-moisturising-bath-oil-woodland-fresh_W0QQitemZ280056418443QQihZ018QQcategoryZ31751QQcmdZViewItem

nothing but nothing beats this. the mozzies hate it and it smells lovely into the bargain!

Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579
 - posted
Thanks folks!! [Big Grin]

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
Sorry but, if they are that attracted to her, skin so soft wont work. It doesn't work for me, nor lots of people I know. Although, it works like a charm for others.

If she is that sensitive, don't risk it. Use something with Deet. Deep Woods Off is good. But you really need to read how much Deet is in it. Of course the more the better. If you look around the sporting goods stores they usually have higher concentrations of it. I know my ex would get it when he went hunting.

My guy gave me stuff to spray around the room before I slept. (from Egypt) I cannot remember what it was called. But was in a chubby yellow spray can. I think it had a big bug on it. It worked well.

HTH

polina
Member # 12234
 - posted
Skin so soft!No way...it doesn't help to me...Sometimes I have feeling that all those mosquitos starving and just wait me to appear out.I was trying even with Off and Autan too,but I can't say that that protect me 100%!When I'm at home,I'm using Raid..so far...it's working really good!

Cosmogirl
Member # 8748
 - posted
Yes, wear bugspray to bed, that is the way Sono would let her husband know she was ready for mating.

Sort of like delousing the cows in the barn before breeding them.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552
 - posted
The sports/camping stores mentioned by Sheba sell good DEET products. I use these and Avon's Skin So Soft. Wotever's comment must have related to spraying the room with Raid, not onto skin (I misread)! Fly sprays are readily available and cheap in Egypt. Your hotel should provide one, if you want to spray against mosquitoes, before going to sleep

Tream Lefty
Member # 6244
 - posted
Where and when are mosquitos bad?

I don't remember any during May and June in Heliopolis...although I got bitten a few times near the Nile. I did see trucks in Heliopolis spraying the streets, with what I assumed was poison to kill mosquitos.

Do Egyptian mosquitos carry the West Nile Virus everybody here in the U.S. freaks out about? [Big Grin]

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
If you can manage do all the preventionwork. Dh had mosquitonets made for all of us when staying in the country. Later on build us a home with special windows that would keep the bugs out. The village is in the middle of ricefields and water is always attractive to mosquitos. Don't keep open water in or around your home. When sundown appeared I reclothed the kids in long trousers with socks and long sleeves and put something with DEET in it on the rest of uncovered bodies.
Eating overdoses of Garlic could work for some.
I must say I had very few problems in Alexandrie but then I saw them DDT-bombexploding at the crossroads of the town. I was eaten alive in Tanta when I came the first time trying to breastfeed a baby where my MIL had opened all the windows for the heat of summer and put the lights on!:-) And youngest daughter once was eaten and allergic when we got trapped in buying her something (recommended by doctors in Oxford on the bottle!) that would be less toxic but just as effective. Not!:-)

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
You find most mosquitoes around water and in areas with a lot of trees, and also surprisingly out in the desert, during the warmer seasons. They aren't very common in most areas of Cairo, but there are some here. The best thing to do, if you are suffering from the bites, is to close all windows and doors at night and spray the rooms, or use a mosquito coil or a plug-in mosquito deterrent an hour or so before going to bed.

If you are outside, cover yourself up as much as possible with long sleeves, trousers, and even cotton socks. And sleep covered up with a cotton sheet or a mosquito net, if you can find one. If you put citronella on your skin that can discourage them, as can eating garlic. If you get bitten, Tiger Balm is great for taking the itching away and reducing the swelling, if you can find any, or mentholatum.

They do spray occasionally here for mosquitoes, but the effect is limited as they could be breeding in stagnant water in houses. When I was in the tropics they used to actually come into our homes to spray (and boy did it leave an nasty oily film over everything!).

From what I gather, the West Nile Fever isn't very common here, neither is malaria, but dengue fever, which I have had once, is on the rise, and that can be very dangerous.

trababe
Member # 11777
 - posted
ohhh i know how you feel insect repellant is one thing i forgot both time i went to egypt and they must love me cos i was eatne alive the first time and still have the scars this time wasnt as bad only the last few days and i was eaten alive when we went to the pyramids at sunset try the skin so soft tho cos i was old hat off a couple of people good luck !!!

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552
 - posted
Antihistamine tablets are cheap and available from Egyptian pharmacists. Providing you aren't allergic to antihistamine, the tablets are miraculous in quickly ending any irritation caused by bites.

Samarra_Anissa
Member # 12077
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmogirl:
Yes, wear bugspray to bed, that is the way Sono would let her husband know she was ready for mating.

Sort of like delousing the cows in the barn before breeding them.

Well I wouldn't know about cow mating habits, I wasn't raised in farm country nor am I related to any cows.

What is the mating procedure in your home? He goes out has sex with one of your friends and then he has the ability to hold an erection long enough to impregnant you?

Another mating procedure I havn't had to deal with! [Big Grin]

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com