EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » cash or travelers checks? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
Hi,

Do you think I should bring my money in cash or in traveler's checks? Are travelers checks pretty easy to convert into Egyptian pounds?

Tream Lefty
Member # 6244
 - posted
I took cash and used the ATMs. Credit cards, too. Very easy.

I'm afraid I haven't used travelers checks in years, so I don't know if they are easy or difficult to deal with.

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
Thanks! Geez I never even thought about using an atm over there. Are the fees wicked high?

cbrbddd
Member # 3891
 - posted
That depends on which card you have and which ATM. I got a Citibank account and use non-Citibank ATMs in Cairo all the time . . . try to find a Citibank ATM when you need one (Citibank does have branches in Cairo). They charge something like a 1% fee. They didn't do that until this past year . . . . guess they weren't making any money, lol! When I used the ATM card from my credit union, I got charge too . . . sometimes by both sides.

I don't bother with travelers checks anymore . . . cash or ATM now.

Samarra_Anissa
Member # 12077
 - posted
The only place that we could find to cash Travelers Checks was Thomas Cook. And only one office in Alex. Two locations in Cairo.

Definately a pain, but the guy was nice enough to me.

Though when you sit there in that office no one will tell you the ticket booth to the right is the person who cashes the travelers checks. the bimbos at the counter just sell vacation packages. You will end up sitting there for 45 minutes before it dawns on you, and the bimbos won't explain that cashing travelers checks is not a bimbo responsibility.

unsure
Member # 12244
 - posted
Have a safe trip Doodlebug and congratulations on the wedding.

Ayisha
Member # 4713
 - posted
take cash if you can and change it when you are there, you get a better exchange rate. There are ATMs everywhere. Last time i used one it used the latest exchange rate for my money but yes there are charges, they weren't too bad though. Its very easy to change money there but never used travellers cheques so wouldnt know.

Tream Lefty
Member # 6244
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
Thanks! Geez I never even thought about using an atm over there. Are the fees wicked high?

I can't remember what the fee was for using my ATM card, but it was cheaper than if I used a *foreign* bank ATM in the U.S. I have a Visa check debit card with a credit union, so maybe credit union fees are lower than banks. Don't know about that. But the convenience was worth it.

It never happened to me, but some people have posted here that the ATM ate their card for whatever reason, so it might be wise to take a couple of different cards with you.

And my husband changed money all the time at the hotels. Have no idea what the exchange rate was there.

Tracy
Member # 648
 - posted
I would take a combination of both cash (USD or EUR) and travellers cheques. You can always supplement your money through ATM's if necessary. I believe most ATM's in Egypt can access the Sirus or Plus Systems and your home bank can tell you what the fee is. I believe we paid about $5.00 CAD per transaction through HSBC machines which are considered reliable.

Be forewarned though!! Most, if not all, businesses and hotels in Egypt will not accept travellers cheques for payment because of counterfeiting problems. They will direct you to the closest money exchange counter (ie; bank) where you will have to cash them in for which ever currency you need. Mind you the hotels do have these outlets right on the property, but again, the hours of operation are limited.

Using your ATM/Debit Card can also be cheaper as your not paying a fee for converting money, only for the transaction.

myheartwillgoon
Member # 12224
 - posted
Travelers checks are a pain to get cashed. Only the main banks cash them. Atms are everywhere and they work just like at home and they spit out egyptian pounds for you so this is nice. Next time we will not take travelers checks.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com