EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » london fog???? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
what is up with the fog in london? Apparently tons of flights have been cancelled for a few days. Is this commmon??? [Eek!]

aduover
Member # 12646
 - posted
Yes, it is in Winter, what disturbs me is that people complain their flights have been cancelled but seem to forget it is for their safety! If the pilot cant see, what he supposed to do, fly in braille?

Am I bovvered(WOTEVER)
Member # 11942
 - posted
It's dangerous euff driving in it. It's icy in some places on the road, there was a burst water main and it had turned to ice!!!.

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Yeah and be careful, doodlebug, legend has that the ghost of jack the ripper is still going around and murdering women in town..... [Eek!] [Big Grin]

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
ok great. let me add that to the list of things to worry about in the next three to four days!!!!!

lombardo47
Member # 12428
 - posted
Yeah its ok ,i used 2 live in UK and one day i was travelling 2 egypt ,and the flight was cancelled bec it was snowing ,and the weather was bad .
Thank god in egypt the weather is good [Wink]
We can travel anywhere anytime [Smile]

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
gee thanks lombardo.

oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
what is up with the fog in london? Apparently tons of flights have been cancelled for a few days. Is this commmon??? [Eek!]

No, its not common at all. In London we are suffering a very very heavy fog, I have lived here since 1978 and never seen anything like it. It settled in the day before yesterday and is not likely to budge until Saturday at the earliest.
Many flights from Heathrow have been cancelled - not because the planes can't land, but because the safe distance between planes is increased from 3 miles to 6 miles. All domestic flights have been cancelled for 2 days and also tomorrow. They have interviewed lots of people who are going to be spending Xmas in the air terminal because they can't get rebooked flights until 26th Dec. Other airports around the country are also affected.
It is also affecting other transport but not as badly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6198917.stm

If you're not due to fly until after Xmas, you'll probably be ok (as long as the fog clears!) - its people who have missed flights and who will be trying to get on others who will suffer.

BANANA FACE :(snoop banana ...
Member # 11270
 - posted
the night of judgement day has started ...i can remeber when it was thicker than this and u cdnt see ur bloody shoe. [Big Grin]

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
I am supposed to land at Heathrow at around 8am Tuesday morning.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552
 - posted
I hope it clears for you, Doodle. [Smile]

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
I just checked and apparently international flights are right on target. The short haul flights are not, like from london to paris, etc. The flight from bos to london is safe as well as from london to cairo.

I feel soooo bad for those that are not going to be able to be with their families for the holidays because of this. [Frown]

Ayisha
Member # 4713
 - posted
bloody fog isnt just in London its all over the country! [Frown]

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Heathrow fog closure brings strife to Cairenes

By Deena Douara
First Published: December 21, 2006

AP

Hundreds of passengers in Terminal One of Heathrow airport in London following the cancellation of 180 flights by British Airways from Heathrow Thursday, Dec. 21, 2006

CAIRO: For holiday-goers and dozens of British expatriates the timing could not have been worse.

After two days of flight cancellations to and from Heathrow Airport due to intense fog and poor weather conditions in London, local Brits thought they weren’t going to make it home for family Christmas celebrations.

Several hundred flights were cancelled to and from London’s Heathrow airport Dec. 20 and 21 after the second day intense London fog.

Although British Airways could not be reached for comment, at press time their website indicated that flights to and from Heathrow Airport would not be operational Thursday.

At 5 pm yesterday Egypt Air was to open up the gates to fly three airplanes into London again, serving hundreds of stranded passengers, according to an Egypt Air representative.

One waiting Egypt Air passenger said that there were people from three different cancelled flights clamoring for seats to London.

She expressed anger over the treatment she was receiving: “They are offering no compensation… everyone is sitting around with their suit cases hoping to get home in time for Christmas dinner.”

Her friend, booked for the same flight, also complained about the services. “I have been told that even though delay is not my fault, I will have to pay for another flight going to Belfast later today. I am not happy.”

She said she would have to pay ₤85 extra on top of the ₤200 she already had had to pay. “I don’t know what the philosophy is but I shouldn’t have to pay, it’s not my fault!”

Ahmed Aguizy says his “life is ruined right now” because of the cancellations. He is expecting three London DJs from Movida Club for a costly party that he says he expects approximately 500 people to attend. He does not know how he will make it up to the attendees.

Again, the biggest complaint had to do with service and information.

Aguizy says his DJs have been at the airport for two days without being properly notified as to the situation. He says when they checked in their luggage they were not told that the flight had not even left Egypt yet. Four hours later they were told the flight was delayed until finally they were informed it had been cancelled. “They didn’t tell them anything.”

When Aguizy himself called the airline repeatedly for information, “everybody told me something different.”

Tamer Sami was among the passengers that managed to slip into Cairo from London before the flight cancellations. His flight was delayed over three hours due to the fog, which he says was so thick you couldn’t see the sky.

He missed his connection to Cairo though and says “just about anyone who had a connection missed it.”

British Airways could not be reached for comment.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=4591

Luxorlover
Member # 4457
 - posted
I think that I might be just about the only one here old enough to remember the London smogs. They were so bad that they are hard to describe.

The last one was in the early 60s and it took me more than four hours once to walk one mile home from work. I had to feel my way along the walls and just hope that I was making the right turnings. There were a string of us all holding on to each others' coats because if we lost contract there was no way of finding the group again. There was no danger of being run over by anything as the streets were devoid of all trafic.

Literally if you had a hand in front of your face you could not see it and if you covered your mouth with a handerkerchief it would be green or brown within seconds. I think that the smogs were caused by smoke from coal fires being trapped under the clouds. Thank goodness those days are long gone.

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
That is really strange. I just logged on to British Air and both the flight I'm taking to london and the one from london to cairo were just fine yesterday and are still scheduled for today. I don't know where that news report is getting their info from.

doodlebug
Member # 11649
 - posted
Oh I just read that article again. It's confusing in the way it portrays everything. Yes Egypt air is giving people a raw deal from egypt to london but for some reason flights via British Air on that route are ok. I guess they get special treatment or something.

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Yeah, you are right. You should be fine next week, ISA.

"...British Airways announced it had canceled 170 flights Friday, 84 domestic and the rest short-haul European ones..."

More fog strands thousands at Heathrow

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061222/ap_on_re_eu/britain_airport_fog

Ayisha
Member # 4713
 - posted
fog wasnt so bad today but yesterday was a nightmare with thick freezing fog everywhere! Even if you know the roads and where you are going everything looks soooo different in thick fog, driving you take your life in your hands and headlights dont penetrate!

Am I bovvered(WOTEVER)
Member # 11942
 - posted
i think it depends where u are. where i am it's terrible and the main roads are really bad, it's icing over about 8ish so the windscreen needs a spray of the de-icer! wot i don't get is y so many peeps drive like nutters in this weather.

BANANA snoop FACE (needs a peel)
Member # 11270
 - posted
IT LURKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com