EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » IS Egypt part of the Middle East » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
multisphinx
Member # 3595
 - posted
I personally think that Egypt is part of Africa and should not be put as part of The middle East. Egypt was always part of Africa and it will stay part of Africa.

multisphinx
Member # 3595
 - posted
What! Okey! no replies does that mean everyone with me. Wow! and i thought i get some bull ****.

LadyYuna
Member # 3841
 - posted
Egypt is located in Africa but it's now part of the Arab world. The whole name of Egypt is it's The Arab Republic of Egypt and it's part of The Arab League.

Yes, Egypt has been veiled with an Arab lace for quite a long time. But such is the way of the world. Why do people in remote places like the Caribbean and the Philippines speak Spanish among other languages? Why do so many South Americans appear European in looks and social behavior? Why do some Latino people appear Asian in ethnicity? Why do South American "Indians" and Native Americans look just alike?

People invade, migrate, and just plain get lost. But it's not always the location of the country that makes it what it is. It is the people who inhabit it.

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
There is no such thing as the Middle East. The term Middle East was coined by British orientalist and has no historical significance.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by multisphinx:
I personally think that Egypt is part of Africa and should not be put as part of The middle East. Egypt was always part of Africa and it will stay part of Africa.

Who cares.

Mooly El Din
Member # 1987
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
Who cares.

Kimo, you would be surprised a lot of people do , including me

Cheers

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Mooly El Din:
Kimo, you would be surprised a lot of people do , including me

Cheers

Okay, why? I am honestly interested, why is it so interesting if Egypt is in one geographical division or another?

Amun
Member # 1813
 - posted
The middle east doesn't exist geographically. It is just a blanket term to group all the Arabic speaking countries together. Egypt is part of Africa and if you want to get more specific, North Africa. Culturally, Egypt is a fusion of West Asian and East African cultures.

Chrisderfer
Member # 2985
 - posted
The Middle East is not only the Arabic speaking countries in the region, but the non-Arab countries as well (Israel, Turkey and Iran).
We can't simply dismiss the term as an unimportant "Orientalist" creation. Unlike other Orientalist theories and terms, "Middle East" is not derogatory. Indeed, it makes no statements. It is simply a geographical term reflecting the time it was made (at that time, the region was in the middle of Europe and Asia).

No need to get in a cat fight over a term that is just meant to describe a particular region.

El Kadafi
Member # 4193
 - posted
Egypt is in Africa and politically involved in both regions, as it should be.

LadyYuna
Member # 3841
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisderfer:
The Middle East is not only the Arabic speaking countries in the region, but the non-Arab countries as well (Israel, Turkey and Iran).
We can't simply dismiss the term as an unimportant "Orientalist" creation. Unlike other Orientalist theories and terms, "Middle East" is not derogatory. Indeed, it makes no statements. It is simply a geographical term reflecting the time it was made (at that time, the region was in the middle of Europe and Asia).

No need to get in a cat fight over a term that is just meant to describe a particular region.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisderfer:

Exactly!!

citizen
Member # 1344
 - posted
And what's the history of the geographical term 'Africa'? Anyone know? Was it coined by Europeans, Africans?

cairofan
Member # 4248
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by multisphinx:

Why would this be so important? Who cares aboout a geographic location name? Some researchers though say there is a correlation between the climate and economic performance. Countries above the equator and the more northern it gets, the better they perform. Is it true or BS of some scientists? Seems a way more interesting thing to get insight into rather than argue about a name

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
''And what's the history of the geographical term 'Africa'? Anyone know? Was it coined by Europeans, Africans?''

Two schools of thought exist on the origin of the word Africa: one believes that the name came from a Roman commander who beat Hannibal in the Punic Wars,and the second school of thought says the name originates from an indigenous tribe that live somewhere in modern Tunisa named Afer . Afer was a term that Romans called people in this region reffering to a tribe that lived outside of Carthage.

Monica
Member # 2621
 - posted
If you didn't read already read it the book: The wealth and poverty of nations ~ why some are so rich and some are so poor~ by David S.Landes, it is extremely relevant.

quote:
Originally posted by cairofan:
Why would this be so important? Who cares aboout a geographic location name? Some researchers though say there is a correlation between the climate and economic performance. Countries above the equator and the more northern it gets, the better they perform. Is it true or BS of some scientists? Seems a way more interesting thing to get insight into rather than argue about a name

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by cairofan:

I haven’t read the book mentioned by Monica, but I would be sceptical of such a preposition. Just because it is right in our day and time, doesn’t make it a universal truth. A couple of points:
1-not all countries around the equator are at the same level of economic performance. You have wide variations is such performance. Just as you have Congo and other African countries, you also have Brazil, Indonesia and Malaysia, among others.
2-in past history there have been great civilisations closer to the equator. For example Egypt, Mesopotamia, Hellenic and Roman, at times when the northern part of Europe was inhabited by savage nomadic Germanic tribes. There were also other great civilisations in Persia, China, and later on the Islamic civilisation.
I think it all boils down to the resources available and how you manage them, but probably most importantly issues of justice and intellect.

Monica, would you be so kind as to give us a synopsis of the book, I’d be interested to know the argument it presents, but quite frankly don’t have the time to read it.

Monica
Member # 2621
 - posted
Ramses nemesis,

I'm leaving for a few days/work/ so I will do so, next week.

Until then, take care,

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by Ramses nemesis:
I haven’t read the book mentioned by Monica, but I would be sceptical of such a preposition. Just because it is right in our day and time, doesn’t make it a universal truth. A couple of points:
1-not all countries around the equator are at the same level of economic performance. You have wide variations is such performance. Just as you have Congo and other African countries, you also have Brazil, Indonesia and Malaysia, among others.
2-in past history there have been great civilisations closer to the equator. For example Egypt, Mesopotamia, Hellenic and Roman, at times when the northern part of Europe was inhabited by savage nomadic Germanic tribes. There were also other great civilisations in Persia, China, and later on the Islamic civilisation.
I think it all boils down to the resources available and how you manage them, but probably most importantly issues of justice and intellect.

Monica, would you be so kind as to give us a synopsis of the book, I’d be interested to know the argument it presents, but quite frankly don’t have the time to read it.

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Ramses nemesis,

I'm leaving for a few days/work/ so I will do so, next week.

Until then, take care,

Monica

hmmm, good excuse to go read it first, lol
(just kidding babe, no offence )

Monica
Member # 2621
 - posted
...what a good idea...I will read it ~again~ during my flight...!!!

after I posted I thought you would probably say that...

yallah bye...

quote:
Originally posted by Ramses nemesis:
hmmm, good excuse to go read it first, lol
(just kidding babe, no offence )

foreigngirl
Member # 4054
 - posted
S.American "Indians" and Native Americans look alike because they are both Natie Americans. Living in Texas, most Mexicans are Native Americans but are not Europeans, but speak Spanish, a European language. I am of European descent, and yet here I am considered of a different race because I speak Spanish. Argentinians look European because they are European descent, where as other Latin Americans are either mixed with Native Americans or Africans.
quote:
Originally posted by LadyYuna:
Egypt is located in Africa but it's now part of the Arab world. The whole name of Egypt is it's The Arab Republic of Egypt and it's part of The Arab League.

Yes, Egypt has been veiled with an Arab lace for quite a long time. But such is the way of the world. Why do people in remote places like the Caribbean and the Philippines speak Spanish among other languages? Why do so many South Americans appear European in looks and social behavior? Why do some Latino people appear Asian in ethnicity? Why do South American "Indians" and Native Americans look just alike?

People invade, migrate, and just plain get lost. But it's not always the location of the country that makes it what it is. It is the people who inhabit it.

LadyYuna
Member # 3841
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by foreigngirl:
S.American "Indians" and Native Americans look alike because they are both Natie Americans. Living in Texas, most Mexicans are Native Americans but are not Europeans, but speak Spanish, a European language. I am of European descent, and yet here I am considered of a different race because I speak Spanish. Argentinians look European because they are European descent, where as other Latin Americans are either mixed with Native Americans or Africans.

Ah, yeah I know that. That's my point. As I said in my post: People invade, migrate, and just plain get lost. But it's not always the location of the country that makes it what it is. It is the people who inhabit it.

Ayazid
Member # 2768
 - posted
Do these people look "arab" or "black"("african")?

Ayazid
Member # 2768
 - posted

Ayazid
Member # 2768
 - posted

Ayazid
Member # 2768
 - posted

Ayazid
Member # 2768
 - posted

Asoola
Member # 3192
 - posted
They look like typically nice Egyptian people to me! Your friends and family Ayazid? I especially love the two little girls in the first picture... mashallah adorable!

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
The people are Egyptian despite their different phenotypes. All are Egyptians!

LadyYuna
Member # 3841
 - posted
I can't see the pictures.

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125
 - posted
is the pope catholic?

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com