EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » tipping » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
kib
Member # 4337
 - posted
sorry for such a basic and not very interesting question, but my friends and i are new teachers here and we are wondering whether we should tip on top of the service charge in restaurants. some heard that the restaurant takes the service charge and the wait staff do not get any. can anybody give me a tip on tipping? thanks!

on a totally unrelated tangent, does anybody know where there is a computer shop in maadi? for peripherals. thanks also!

Sciascia75
Member # 5104
 - posted
Hi Kib,
for the tip I cannot help you since I have the same doubt every time,...but I always leave smtg (ten % about, or minimum 3-4LE).
For the computer shop in Maadi, there're two at the cross of road 151 with Rd 155 is close to the first Maadi entrance and is in a gallery with more than one shops. This place is close to the Cairo Hotel.
Try there.

------------------
"Trust God and keep your powders dry" Sir Oliver Cromwell

Penny
Member # 1925
 - posted
Dear Kib

My husband is Egyptian and he always gives the waiters a tip of about 10% regardless of whether there is service charge on the bill or not.

Hope this helps
Penny

Monica
Member # 2621
 - posted
Please tip the waiters as much as you feel they deserve it!!!
They rely on that for sure...especially in Egypt...
Have a great school year!
If you'd like, please post an email addy and I will be happy to give you a few tips in regards with the computer peripherals in Maadi...

quote:
Originally posted by kib:
sorry for such a basic and not very interesting question, but my friends and i are new teachers here and we are wondering whether we should tip on top of the service charge in restaurants. some heard that the restaurant takes the service charge and the wait staff do not get any. can anybody give me a tip on tipping? thanks!

on a totally unrelated tangent, does anybody know where there is a computer shop in maadi? for peripherals. thanks also!

kib
Member # 4337
 - posted
thanks for the help guys! my email is biglarrymcmurty(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

Dalia
Member # 1230
 - posted
Do you tip a makwagi? And, if yes, how much?

Monica
Member # 2621
 - posted
A makwagy can also be tipped. It is all left to your discretion. Usually, when you tip a makwagy, you are telling him in other words: 'Take special care of my clothes'.

Most Egyptians tip everybody that provides a service. It's part of our culture. Some are more generous than others, regardless of their financial means.

Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
Do you tip a makwagi? And, if yes, how much?

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 05 September 2004).]

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com