EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Advice on unmarried couple living in Cairo » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
flutterbysky
Member # 13567
 - posted
Hey!

Just looking for some advice. I'm moving out to Cairo (most likely Maadi) in August. I have a boyfriend of 6 years and he is not coming out with me at that time. However, if he came over to visit me would it be acceptable for him to say with me in my flat even though we are not engaged/married?

Thanks, Lisa

Korven.
Member # 11013
 - posted
He is only 6 years old ?! Of course he can stay with you any where you like... We too love kids in Egypt [Smile]

mok-mok
Member # 11209
 - posted
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

flutterbysky
Member # 13567
 - posted
Haha, ok, ok rephrase!!! We've been together FOR 6 years!! [Big Grin]

Korven.
Member # 11013
 - posted
Yea much better now [Big Grin]

flutterbysky
Member # 13567
 - posted
So you would say it is fine for him to stay with or even to come and live with me even though we are not married?

I've read and been told that it can be cause for great concern because of Islamic beliefs? I don't want to annoy anyone when I come out! [Smile]

Snoozin - Bokra Fil Mish Mish
Member # 6244
 - posted
Are you both foreigners? I don't think Egyptians bother with the relationship habits of foreigners.

flutterbysky
Member # 13567
 - posted
Yeah, we are both Scottish. Thanks for the information [Smile]

Korven.
Member # 11013
 - posted
Maybe it depends on where abouts in Scotland you are from...

young at heart
Member # 10365
 - posted
Korven look at location Glasgow

Korven.
Member # 11013
 - posted
Yea I did before I posted, you too from Scotland, I can see it, but you are not old and you are nice lady, I can see everything,... [Wink]

young at heart
Member # 10365
 - posted
i'm not young either Korv! but I'm nice I think.

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
No problems for foreigners but just to make thigns less complicated you might want to tell people you are married. Nobody will check but it might save you hassle.

Korven.
Member # 11013
 - posted
I will tell people they are unmarried [Razz]

Mother War
Member # 8386
 - posted
Yeah Korv will come along and bust your shitt so you better watch it. [Big Grin]

egyptian999
Member # 13087
 - posted
he can stay with u , me too can , egypt is free country

soma
Member # 12876
 - posted
flutterbysky , in islam it's HARAM , but who cares , try to let him have other flat to be safe from any annoying people here can know that , but the GOD him self prevement that stuff boy or girl friends it's haram relation , and egypt is not free country but in cairo yes maybe but in other state it's so hard to have this
hope u and him get married and be safe

Cairo_Resident
Member # 11930
 - posted
just say your married, otherwise egyptian male neighbors will be coming on to you. Better get used to the eyeballing, the whistling, the hissing, and the obnoxious calls married or not...I have even ehard some have proposed to married women and made them leave their husbands...in return for...paraidse in egypt of course...

With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Cairo_Resident:
just say your married, otherwise egyptian male neighbors will be coming on to you. Better get used to the eyeballing, the whistling, the hissing, and the obnoxious calls married or not...I have even ehard some have proposed to married women and made them leave their husbands...in return for...paraidse in egypt of course...

CR you sound very cynical.
Sorry you've had such bad experiences, but not all experiences are the same.

There are very good Egyptian men here and likewise very good husbands and providers. Please don't generalize, it's offensive to those of us who have Egyptian male husbands and/or children.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
Relax Smuckers good Egyptian husbands speak for themselves. I never compare mine to whatever fortuneseeker. But a warning could be right since to Egyptian males a passport to the West can be very attractive and they may go to great length if they see someone moving around by herself.
And being in Egypt by yourself you might get lonely and romantic and thereby vulnerable to some attention where the bf will get to the background. It's only human.

Member # 10289
 - posted
No, I was also going by what she said in another thread.

Demiana
Member # 2710
 - posted
I see Smuckers, missed it I guess. Some foreigners do become cynical and judgemental I believe if you keep up meassuring different people by your own standards.

Member # 10289
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
I see Smuckers, missed it I guess. Some foreigners do become cynical and judgemental I believe if you keep up meassuring different people by your own standards.

I must admit being a foreigner in Egypt I have my cynical moments too, maybe I'm just hormonal. [Razz]

Dalia*
Member # 10593
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by flutterbysky:
So you would say it is fine for him to stay with or even to come and live with me even though we are not married?

I've read and been told that it can be cause for great concern because of Islamic beliefs? I don't want to annoy anyone when I come out! [Smile]

As Akshar said, as a concession to local customs you might want to refer to him as your "husband" rather than your "boyfriend" when talking to neighbours, your bauwab etc.

But there shouldn't be any problems, particularly since both of you are foreigners. And if you're going to live in a neighbourhood like Maadi I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Korven.
Member # 11013
 - posted
Ok, everything is ready, the whole area knows you are unmarried and they will make you either get married or leave Egypt for at least 10 years before you come back for an extension of another 20 [Wink]

Listyen, honestly, in Maadi you will be like in Europe, never listen to anything else, it happens that I know the area like you know your homeland.

But I guess they are having fun there by now as we are killing ourselves trying to prove or unprove things around here [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

last one standing
Member # 12315
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Cairo_Resident:

Yeah, really I was wondering just how common is that I mean asking married and intended women to get married.

One man asked my intended to marry me and convinced him that he could take better care of me because he was really "religious" and we are from the same country. The sad part is my poor Egyptian intendant believed him.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com