EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » theres no polite way to ask this i suppose.... » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Broadzilla
Member # 7022
 - posted
I've been living in Egypt for 2 years, coming in from NY.

Initially, my attitude was pretty porous and open to new experiences and cultures. Unfortunately, whether it was luck or just too much experience, I'm a little burnt out on Egyptians as a whole, culturally.

I'm here for a year, 2 years tops but in the meantime, I'd really appreciate any information on any outlets, areas or institutions whose patrons are marjoritively foreign. Please tell me there are some spots, (not tourist spots mind you, riddled with dirtbag salesmen hounding you)where foreigners hang out and chill. I just have a little too much trouble dealing, socially. It's certainly no ones fault but my own, but again, any help would be appreciated.

?????
Member # 12336
 - posted
The embassy, that`s all [Razz]

Graf_Genn
Member # 11802
 - posted
You have been living in Egypt for two years and you haven't found any yet? The pubs and cafes on Abu El Feda, Ismail Mohammed, Hasan Sabry, etcetera have lots of foreign people. Just take a look through the window as you pass by, and don't be shy [Smile]
If you really are burnt out and need some company I have a few foreign friends in Cairo you might want to email or something, one is from Manhattan. PM me if you like.

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
But there is so much for ex pats in Cairo, how come you haven't found it. You might enjoy Egypt more if you made more of an effort. This is what I know about and I don't even live there.

Why not try the Hash Harriers so called drinking club with a sport problem. I have heard it is great fun and you will meet a circle of ex pats you can do other things with. http://www.cairohash.com/

From the thread in Visiting Egypt that has the links

http://www.endurance-egypt.org distance riding in the Cairo area

If you are into Egyptology EES do lectures as do the SCA.

There are clubs and activities on www.yallabina.com

Broadzilla
Member # 7022
 - posted
Like I said before, when I came I wasnt interested in hanging out with a bunch of Westerners. I was trying to adapt myself to the culture. I'm over that now, and subsequently, I'm asking questions. But thanks for the information.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597
 - posted
I think the mistake you were making was that you took too deep a dive into Egyptian culture ... My guess is that you tried to get involved with the things that the average person does everyday ... things like riding a bus or going for a walk in downtown Cairo. While things like that may seem "normal" daily activities in any part of the civilized world, this is not the case in Egypt.

What you need to do is to assimilate through spending time with Egyptians who have lived abroad. It’s the middle way …

Broadzilla
Member # 7022
 - posted
Yes, that was definitely a bad move. And I think you're absolutely right. Thanks.

Sobriquet
Member # 13217
 - posted
You are right and it 'is you'. You need to change your approach and the advice given you thus far is good. Socialize with a segment of Egyptian population that can relate to you and vice-versa. Use your intellect and weed such people out.

Companionship in Cairo (and everywhere else) will make your stay much more enjoyable, good luck.

Broadzilla
Member # 7022
 - posted
Are there any book clubs in Cairo? A meeting place where a collective group reads a book together and discuss their thoughts on them.

oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Broadzilla:
Are there any book clubs in Cairo? A meeting place where a collective group reads a book together and discuss their thoughts on them.

http://groups.msn.com/bookclubcairo/welcomepage.msnw

I don't know what its like, its on my list of things to investigate when I move..

Sashyra88
Member # 11693
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Broadzilla:

You might want to check for this at the American University in Cairo(AUC) bookstore or even at the library.By the way,their bookstore in the Zamalek branch is excellent.

jean_bean
Member # 13715
 - posted
i would just love to join up with something like that. I devour books..lol

Broadzilla
Member # 7022
 - posted
Yes, also I havent read anything in a few weeks. I could eat one whole right now.

I wanna thank everyone who sent me PMs with advice and tips. You all kick ass, thanks.

egyptian999
Member # 13087
 - posted
hi everyone , just woke up , been sleeping over a month

Autumnshyne
Member # 13640
 - posted
I'm kinda new to ES but I'm down for starting our own book club! I'm an American kinda lost in the Egyptian mix. [Wink]
What do you guys think? [Roll Eyes]

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com