EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Heliopolis overground metro/tram » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
I just found a reference to Heliopolis overground metro on a map and I know I have seen things that look like trams on my way to the airport.
Has anyone got any info on how extensive this network is, how near it gets to the usual metro or other railway system?
When does it run, how frequently etc etc?

TravelingWriter
Member # 13951
 - posted
All I know is that tram is painfully slow. You would get there faster in a wheel-chair. ha

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Oldbag, please if you want to avoid hassle, use a cab to and from the airport.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by TravelingWriter:
All I know is that tram is painfully slow. You would get there faster in a wheel-chair. ha

HAHAAHHAHAHA!

I agree.

You might also find out that one of your teeth has gone loose after a ride in one of those.

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
The overground metro is quite extensive, not sure how much so as I have only taken it a short distance once. It is very old and rattly, but it is cheap (about 25 piasters) and I know that the one from Nasr City goes to Roxy in Heliopolis. Sorry that's the extent of my overground metro knowledge [Frown]

oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Oldbag, please if you want to avoid hassle, use a cab to and from the airport.

This wasn't about cabs from the airport, I have a possibility for some freelance work when I finally get my butt over there and the company's office has just relocated there. I might need to go there quite a lot so can't afford to cab it all the time.

Just for info, I got from the airport to 6th October for 4LE in June - bus from airport to Tahrir = 1LE, + metro to Giza = 1LE + microbus = 2LE.

Only cost 2LE to get back but that's because my friends gave me a lift to Giza to get the 2LE bus to the airport [Wink]

katakata2891981katakata
Member # 13537
 - posted
Hi,its impossible to cross all these distance from 6 of october to Heliopolis every day if the company is cool you should relocated around it (traffic is horrible).

Oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
bump - anyone new know where there might be a map of the tram system?

Egy_mada
Member # 11992
 - posted
Oldbag, forget about the heliopolis tram system, you can stay all theday in the tram before you reach your destination.
Only oldparents and school students using it to avoid the hassle of microbus and buses.
but they start their trip 6am to move within heliopolis area.
It is damn slow, anything can stop it (Electricity cut, Car on the line, driver mood ...etc.)

Shanta Qadeema
Member # 9889
 - posted
bump - yeh I found it and used it [Big Grin]

Entrance near Ramses Station for a tram to Heliopolis Roxy. Not sure where else it goes, or if there is more than one destination. Further investigations to be undertaken [Big Grin]

It takes 15 mins from Ramses to Roxy and cost 25pst.

cbrbddd
Member # 3891
 - posted
Yeah, OB!!! I salute your persistence in finding out all these things. Now you will need to write a book!

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com