EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » I can still be shocked » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Semsema
Member # 5415
 - posted
I was sitting on my balcony last night enjoying the peace and quiet when a green car came along the road with the boot open. Nothing unusual in that you might think except for the fact that there was one child sitting in one side, two suitcases and then another child. The adults were crammed together inside the car.
I suppose I just have to be grateful that the boot had been left open!

satanmademedoit
Member # 11766
 - posted
Yeah,some of the the men reckon it is the best place for their women and children..along with the sheep and cattle..lol!!

With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
What is the Boot?

soozi
Member # 11108
 - posted
The storage space at the back of the car - can't remember what Americans' call it!

Semsema
Member # 5415
 - posted
Trunk?

hitman
Member # 13360
 - posted
you have seen nothing yet [Big Grin] ...hehe ..

soozi
Member # 11108
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Semsema:
Trunk?

Yep, just came to me! [Wink]

With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
ohhhhhhhh the truck. [Smile] Hmmm well, that is strange, there was absolutely NO room inside of the car? Poor kids, god forbid if there was a wreck, could you imagine? [Frown]

Semsema
Member # 5415
 - posted
What do you mean Hitman?
It is quite commonplace to see, all on one scooter: Father driving with small child in front of him, child in between father and mother (who sits side saddle) while she holds a very small baby.

Of course no-one wears a crash helmet, that is usually over the handlebar holding the bread and tomatoes.

desertgirl
Member # 12450
 - posted
[Eek!] [Eek!]

Don't these people get fines then ???

(ok, stupid question, I already know the answer ... [Frown] I feel sorry for these kids)

jean_bean
Member # 13715
 - posted
saw a motorbike once, with daddy, kid and mom holding baby, and she was about 8 months preggo.
and of course...not a helmet to be found anywhere.
All I can say is that God must have a soft spot in his heart for Egyptians.

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
[Eek!] [Eek!]

Don't these people get fines then ???

(ok, stupid question, I already know the answer ... [Frown] I feel sorry for these kids)

You are all so holier than thou. Well I can remember when the helmet law was brought in the UK, it was not that long ago. Only about 30 years. The same with seat belts.

Semsema
Member # 5415
 - posted
Akshar - it is not a case of being 'holier than thou'. It is simply being concerned for the children. If you saw the state of some of the roads you would perhaps understand. The one I was talking about is deeply rutted, street lights missing, it would only take a tyre to go into one of the ruts and the consequences could be catastrophic.

LaZeeZ
Member # 10655
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Semsema:
Akshar - it is not a case of being 'holier than thou'. It is simply being concerned for the children. If you saw the state of some of the roads you would perhaps understand. The one I was talking about is deeply rutted, street lights missing, it would only take a tyre to go into one of the ruts and the consequences could be catastrophic.

Before you condemn someone, live their life first.

What you may see as obvious isn't necessary what others see. Those same people you're talking about don't feel concerned much when they take a microbus and the driver is a little kid who might get everyone inside killed. 'Egyptians' are not the type of people who worry much about their lifes. Perhaps this had to do with the tough life they go through everyday that makes them consider what others find catastrophic as a tiny little not important thing, but it doesn't mean they have less love for their kids than others.

BTW, Those same Egyptians would find many of the things Western children go through to be obviously un acceptable.

Interesting world.

Gail
Member # 6886
 - posted
This is definitely an interesting world! When I was in Egypt last year, I saw men load two live sheep into the trunk of a car and close the lid. It must have been 95 degrees that day. I can only hope that the sheep would have passed out before long, and I'm sure they were not destined to be pets. It was sad, but inhumane treatment of animals happens even in the U.S. sad to say. [Frown]

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953
 - posted
It does not always mean anything bad, I think you're exagerating this incident.... when i was a kid, i used to enjoy siting sometimes in the boot of the car.... it was very thrillng, my dad would put me there & drive slowly in a safe & quite area then take me back inside..... I was the one requesting it. it's fun

DawnBev
Member # 11276
 - posted
anyone remember those motorcylces with side cars attached to them in the 60s?

when I was first at primary school, aged 5, my uncle used to pick me up from school to take me home in his! - and I used to love riding around in that - without helmets in those days.

sohag
Member # 19805
 - posted
What a great idea, just love it.

layla13
Member # 17343
 - posted
I have seen many dangerous things in Egypt like a truck carrying another truck of the same size on top of it! I cracked up laughing. one thing i dont like is how many Egyptian mothers do not teach their kids to respect other people's property such as letting them climb all over peoples cars on the street. lol

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889
 - posted

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com