EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Exept for Tedata, internet is down in Egypt » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Egy_mada
Member # 11992
 - posted
Tedata is the only ISP working in egypt right now and it is even so slow. Soficom is down, Link is down.
any other users using another ISP is can navigate through the internet

Vader
Member # 14189
 - posted
Yes, my internet was gone all day, just came back a while ago.

Guess I'm Tedata then. Internet is as slow as a snail!

didi_elsayed
Member # 4763
 - posted
Damn...how long time is this gonna take?Days?One friend told me its gonna be 10 days,another one says 2days.Whats the truth anyway? [Frown]

Vader
Member # 14189
 - posted
I heard it was 48 hours.

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Vader:
I heard it was 48 hours.

48 EGYPTIAN hours! [Big Grin]

tina kamal
Member # 13845
 - posted
walid has internet in zagazig but he said the news was saying 10 days!!!
somethin about some cables in the sea was messed up

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Yeah it also it India hard and obviously some other countries.

Internet services in the UAE and international calls affected due to submarine cable breakdown outside the UAE

http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidZAWYA20080130113527

tina kamal
Member # 13845
 - posted
ya walid named a few countries like libia and tores or somethin like that but thank god he has his i would go nuts not chattin to him
alot of people make money off their internet can u immagine yr money line cut in an instant??
walid also said somethin about getting satalite internet for egypt what ever that means?

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Yup, it's a financial disaster!

sandboy
Member # 1051
 - posted
Some reports are quoting other reports that say it was a ship's anchor that snagged both undersea cables near Alexandria harbour

sandboy
Member # 1051
 - posted
Some reports are quoting other reports that say it was a ship's anchor that snagged both undersea cables near Alexandria harbour

didi_elsayed
Member # 4763
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Vader:
I heard it was 48 hours.

I prefer to believe your words.2 days are much better than 10 days loll.
I hope that it will work out as soon as possible!But other friends also complained yesterday from their connection..one of them was in Saudia..weird! [Big Grin]

murray-mint77
Member # 13080
 - posted
Glad to see some of you have internet [Wink] Its going to make my evenings boring thats for sure
[Frown] [Frown] I hope they hurry up and fix the problem

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Internet outage hits business from Cairo to Colombo
1 hour ago

CAIRO (AFP) — Damage to undersea Internet cables hit business across the Middle East and South Asia on Thursday, including the vital call centre industry, prompting calls for people to limit their surfing.

Around 70 percent of Internet users in Egypt have been affected since two submarine cables in the Mediterranean Sea were damaged on Wednesday, also rupturing connections thousands of kilometres (miles) away.

The cause of the damage is not yet known.

State-owned Saudi Telecom reported the loss of more than 50 percent of its international lines, and said it did not know when normal service would be restored, the Arab News reported.

Egypt's telecommunications ministry said repairs would take "at least a week" and appealed for users not to overload the backup system with hefty downloads and file-sharing applications.

"Two of our cables are affected; everyone will go onto a third cable," ministry spokesman Mohammed Taymur told AFP. "But that will not be enough bandwidth. The cable will be overloaded and no one will be able to get access."

"People should know how to use the Internet because people who download music and films are going to affect businesses who have more important things to do."

Taymur said a company had been asked to repair the cables but that "for the time being we don't know the cause. The two cables are a kilometre (over half a mile) apart and we don't know what could have affected both at the same time."

Like India, Egypt has a major call centre industry which has been affected by the outage, with a telecommunications ministry statement saying productivity was down to 30 percent.

The statement named other affected Arab countries as Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Yemen, Qatar and Bahrain.

Egyptian blogger The Arabist said he would "resume posting after the problem is resolved" and predicted, with a hint of sarcasm, "complete social breakdown in vast swathes of (upmarket Cairo districts) Heliopolis and Mohandiseen as thousands are unable to update their Facebook status."

Bahrain's Batelco issued a statement appealing for people to limit use to browsing and email but to refrain from file-sharing applications which require more bandwidth.

Gas-rich Qatar said that less than 40 percent of its Internet services were affected but that international phone lines were functioning normally.

The Al-Raya daily quoted one of national operator QTel's directors as saying that repairs in the Mediterranean could take up to two weeks.

In Muscat, OmanTel issued a statement saying it had reestablished 76 percent of Internet services by Thursday.

In Kuwait, the government said "weather conditions and maritime traffic" had damaged two cables, affecting most of the region.

India's Internet-dependent outsourcing industry was also severely disrupted, with businesses saying it may take up to 15 days to return to normal.

"Information-technology companies, software companies and call centres that provide online services to the UK or the US East Coast are the worst affected," said Rajesh Chharia, president of the Internet Service Providers' Association of India.

India's 11 billion dollar outsourcing industry employs 700,000 people working for companies that deliver services ranging from answering customer queries to to analysing equity markets for global clients.

The industry serves clients mainly in the US and Europe that sought to cut costs by farming out work to the country.

Neighbouring Bangladesh was also hit, with an official from the state Telegraph and Telephone Board saying that "voice and data traffic bound for Europe and America is not working. It slowed down the Internet services in the country."

Another Bangladesh provider, BDCom, said it was running at a quarter of its usual capacity.

"Our operations have slowed down. All the ISPs and call centres have also experienced similar problems," said Sabbir Ahmed Suman, BDCom director and a senior member of the Bangladesh Internet Service Providers Association.

Sri Lanka also faced a drastic drop in service quality, according to Sri Lanka Telecom, the country's largest Internet service provider.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j4vuJ2N9tNs8AAQi0d8xY8H1yA8w

Sashyra8
Member # 14488
 - posted
<and predicted, with a hint of sarcasm, "complete social breakdown in vast swathes of upmarket Cairo districts, Heliopolis and Mohandiseen as thousands are unable to update their Facebook status."

[Big Grin]

LSLuxor
Member # 14374
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by didi_elsayed:
Damn...how long time is this gonna take?Days?One friend told me its gonna be 10 days,another one says 2days.Whats the truth anyway? [Frown]

If the sub-marine cables can be fixed in two days that's great but it will take another few days for middle-eastern Internet to 'work'. Some servers on the Internet have gone down as a result of the cable break and others were taken offline early on 30 Jan'.
These machines need to update and synchronise with the world-wide-web and THEN we get full speed back [Smile]

I doubt that any cables were cut - and if they were, the fibre-optic cables wouldn't be too important as the data is re-routed through different networks normally.
The reason Egypt is badly affected is that 'cables' don't come in from the south, west or east - just the north.

The truth is that no-one can tell you how long it will take - how long is a piece of string?

I know it's inconvenient for us but banks and financial institutions will be badly hit which will, obviously, have a knock-on effect but they have lines which are privileged... and rightly so.

egybrit
Member # 14388
 - posted
so why can i get connection to egypt some of the time and not others. Also i can phone a number and it works then 5 mins later says its switched off......the joys of egypt

Expecto Patronum (Alchemist)
Member # 12318
 - posted
I needz ma internetz.

egyguy
Member # 13646
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Expecto Patronum (Alchemist):
I needz ma internetz.

Where did you go?

Oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
Mine's ok! Last night and tonight - didn't come online until the evening though.
Got to make a 1 hour phone call on Skype tomorrow morning so that should be interesting - lucky I've got the usb modem thingummy bob.

chanel123
Member # 18293
 - posted
to anyone who cares [h3]cheap chanel earrings[/h3] cares for a wounded vet or is [h2]roger dubuis[/h2] is the surviving spouse of a soldier [h4]cheap tiffany jewelry[/h4] soldier who died
while in service.On Wednesday, cheap chloe handbags Wednesday, the SBA and Syracuse University announced 激安 アクセサリー announced that they are also starting entrepreneurship [u]replica oris watches[/u] entrepreneurship programs that
focus on female veterans bottega veneta boots veterans and National Guard and Reserve members [h2]hermes women[/h2] members and their families.Film producer Iglesias, who [h1]givenchy bag[/h1] who suffered an
injury to his neck fake cartier watches neck while in service, is a 2008 [u]hermes purse[/u] 2008 alumni of the boot camp program tag heuer replica watch program for disabled

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com