EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Another depressing article about Giza Zoo » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
San Diegans Shocked by Circus at Giza Zoo

By David Harvey
Staff Writer
Sunday, Mar. 9, 2008

An ominous sign posted at the entrance to the reptile exhibit reminds eager vistors to keep their hands to themselves. (Photos courtesy of David Harvey) Welcomed to the gates by a lush, green garden sculpture depicting an elephant, visitors to the San Diego Zoo are prepared to enter one of the world’s most renowned and progressive animal habitats. It is also one of the most expansive, stretching over 100 acres of San Diego real estate. The cost of entrance: $33 — the “best value” rate.

Ushered in through an immense green gate, flanked on either side by etched stone giraffes, visitors to the Giza Zoo in Cairo can enjoy the once fourth-ranked zoo in the world, also mapped at 100 acres, for one Egyptian pound, or 18 American cents.

Idyllic walking trails for guests and spacious living accommodations for residents have put the San Diego Zoo ahead of many around the world. It is known not only for its educational aspect and mission to inform the public, but as a leader in conservation and protection of endangered species. The zoo has been pivotal in breeding and reintroduction efforts for the California Condor and the African Black Rhino. It is even more famous for raising the first Panda cubs born in the United States.

A zookeeper helps a child feed a hungry seal through cage bars. The Giza Zoo uses thin bars and chainlink fences to separate impulsive crowds from the wildlife. (Photos courtesy of David Harvey) Most of the animals are transferred between the zoo and the Wild Animal Park, which operates under the same management. Entrance fee proceeds go to maintaining animals and locations, education programs, research and conservation efforts.

The Giza Zoo’s income doesn’t even cover upkeep costs, but remains low to allow residents and tourists of all incomes a chance to experience everything the facility has to offer. The zoo houses an extensive breeding facility, where the first California Sea Lion was born in the Middle East, and a fully operational taxidermist. Nevertheless, the zoo staff’s focus is less about education as it is about entertainment.

The green gardens and wide walkways of the Giza Zoo contrast the crowded and urban landscape of Cairo. Even on Friday, the first day of the Egyptian weekend and Muslim holy day, the zoo is less crowded than its San Diegan counterpart on the slowest of days.

While the San Diego zoo welcomes visitors to snap photos of the resting, frolicking or pacing creatures, the Giza Zoo prohibits guests to enter with their personal cameras. But this rule, like so many others in Cairo, is flexible and laxly enforced.

Another practice that sets the Giza Zoo apart from the San Diego Zoo is the proximity with which tourists or guests can find themselves from the animals. The San Diego Zoo is a pioneer in building cage-less exhibits; at the Giza Zoo visitors can stand mere feet from lions, tigers and bears, separated from the confines of their tiny cells by only a few steel bars.

At the sea lion cage, a member of the zoo staff gave a long stick to a young child, which he then used to feed the excitable animal a meager chunk of fish. The sea lion, flinging itself against the cage and stuffing its face into the holes of a rusty cyclone fence, likely spent its entire day in that same predicament. The kids can’t seem to get enough.

Walking past the bears, Earl Warren College seniors Wesley Horne, Meaghan Beatty and I all paused. One small black bear with a bald spot and dangling tongue was raking its head along the bars in brain-damaged fashion. Another group squealed and cried out as zookeepers splashed a large barrel of what looked like oatmeal into the center of the cage. The bears attacked the food ravenously. At the far end of the complex a small boy nearly lost a hand as he spoon-fed a lone member of the exhibit.

One elephant garnered similar treatment; a crowd waited at the edge of the gate to hand his wandering trunk leaves and lettuce. Masses of baby crocodiles flooded across small, glass enclosed caverns in the reptile center and a sign outside, surely meant to prevent reoccurrence of past mishaps, asked visitors to refrain from catching the animals.

By the time we reached the lion exhibits we had managed to attract the attention of a zoo photographer, eager to show us everything the zoo had to offer. Without even stopping outside the cages, we were whisked into the off-limits area and the feline backroom.

We had heard there was a good chance we could hold baby lions, chimpanzees or really do just about anything we wanted with them. Still, when we were handed the cubs and asked to kneel, pose and smile, it felt a little uncomfortable — not because claws were digging into my leg or because the cameraman insisted that next we would stand with our back to a full-grown tiger as another man dangled food above us to distract it from reaching through the bars. No, I felt uncomfortable because I have grown up with the kind of quality and environment the San Diego Zoo offers animals, and even then thought the idea of zoos to be a bit perverse.

We walked out and tipped the zookeeper about $10. The pictures cost a pretty penny more. As soon as we had them in hand we left, unable to spend anymore time wandering the grounds.

I felt bad about the zoo’s conditions, especially about the mistreatment of the animals. I was annoyed that they were treated so poorly so the staff could make a little money, but I guess that is the problem. How can the quality of care for animals go up, when the quality of life for those who care for them depends on the circus sideshow of the Giza Zoo in Cairo?

http://ucsdguardian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9745&Itemid=6

Giza Zoo used to be once the fourth-ranked zoo in the world?? [Eek!] OMG.... lot has changed and unfortunately not to the better!!

Entrance fee: 1 L.E.

No wonder the place looks so run down and animals are not properly taken care of.... [Frown] [Frown]

harankash
Member # 14248
 - posted
I was absolutely shocked when I went. From the minute you walk in the cameraman follows you around trying to get you to pose with UNCAGED!!! dangerous animals. It was shocking to see young kids with all sorts posing.

The cages are terrible, there is an old decrepit train there linking one bit to the other.
I had to get out. I was so upset to see animals treated like this. Filthy stinking cages with paint (probably leaded) peeling off.
Big beautiful creatures miserably 'rocking' back and forth and tigers doing the 'insanity cage walk'. God help them!

They really need to close this monstrosity or invest in it.

For Gods sake dont take kids there as a day out.
you will hate yourself if you did.

civil society
Member # 14880
 - posted
i hate to see that rocking, harankash. it is heartbreaking. [Frown]

Alchemist Shines On
Member # 12318
 - posted
I see the zoo as a metaphor. Sad, really.

civil society
Member # 14880
 - posted
interesting point of view, alchemist. i hadn't thought of that though i can certainly see it that way.

With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
I agree with Alchemist, it is a metaphor for the society, sadly. Some locals are often quick to point out that 'why care more about an animal than the human beings' without realizing that the societies treatment of its animals are a direct reflection on them as a people.

Do yourself a favor, do NOT go to this zoo. If you have never seen anything other than this type of zoo you would not care, otherwise, if you've ever been to something (for example) as the San Diego zoo you will be heartbroken. [Frown]

samakwish
Member # 9228
 - posted
I watch Animal Planet on TV sometimes and they have this programme about the Animal Rescue Team in Huston and Arizona. People get fined and imprisoned in America for mistreating horses and cows that actually look better than the animals you see here. What would they think if they came to Egypt? They wouldn't know where to start. [Frown]

With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
I've thought the same things, there's a hotline in Texas that you can call if you see horses or animals that look malnourished or neglected...it's a great thing. They actually have an agency set up to go out and rescue these poor animals from people who can't or won't do right by them. If they came to Egypt...lol....there wouldn't be enough bribe money in existence. I've seen hip bones sticking out of horse (mangey horse!) four inches high, the poor thing was limping and frothing at the mouth while being beaten with a stick. That man's punishment should be the same, pull a rickshaw while being starved, uncleaned with a skin disease, a limp foot and dying from thirst while being beaten with a stick...that would be justice. [Big Grin]

happybunny
Member # 14224
 - posted
^^^^ i agree smuckers, i did that once to this man in downtown who was beating his poor, poor donkey. I jumped out of the car and ran over and grabbed his stick and hit him with it shouting in my confused mix of arabic/english. I was crying and crying and people came to see what had happened. when i told them about the donkey they looked at me like i was mad! I think they thought he had done something to me not the donkey! They walked away muttering about me being a crazy agnabayor! lol

I went years ago when i was teaching and it was a school trip! It was so sad [Frown] The other teaches couldn't understand why i was so upset, i cried when i saw the elephant, it had the iron strap around its ankle and was in a cage! OK the cage wasn't tiny but it wasn't big either and i saw no where for the elephant to turn around nevermind walk!

My SIL suggested we visit last time i was there but no way, i could let my kiddies see it, i truly think they would have nightmares [Frown] [Frown]

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com