EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egypt Race for the Cure » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
http://www.bcfe.org/en/view.asp?SecID=117

Egypt Race for the Cure 2

On October 23, 2010, the Breast Cancer Foundation of Egypt (BCFE) and Susan G. Komen for the Cure® will partner in hosting the 2nd Egypt Race for the Cure® around the Pyramids of Giza under the patronage of The Suzanne Mubarak Women's International Peace Movement and Dr. Zahi Hawass, the Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

Amazing Success Last year!

Approximately 9000 people registered for the Egypt Race for the Cure at the Great Pyramids of Giza, and another 1000 attended.

People of all age groups gathered wearing their t-shirts and caps, and ran or walked from the smallest pyramid to the Sphinx. Awards were presented to race winners. BCFE was honored to recieve WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Cancer Control, Nancy G. Komen and Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, as well as Mrs Nagwa Shoeb of the Suzanne Mubarak International Women's Peace Movement, H.E. Minister Moshira Khattab and Yusra, Egypt's beloved actress.

I will be attending if any other ladies in Egypt wish to join me.

Shygirl
Member # 16693
 - posted
Hi Cheeky, I will be attending this to [Smile]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
The turn out this year will be overwhelming. It is such a good cause and worthy of as much support as possible.

[Smile]

Shygirl
Member # 16693
 - posted
It certainly is, there is quite a few from work going with me now to [Cool]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
Do you know the registration fee?

I will be asking friends soon too.. not just yet as if I give them too much notice they will back out or forget lol...

Did you see the pictures from last year, 9000 people!!! Amazing.

Shygirl
Member # 16693
 - posted
I mentioned doing it and everyone else liked the idea lol, not sure of registration fee, I think I saw it as 25LE somewhere??

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
Ok, well see you there then [Smile]

cbrbddd
Member # 3891
 - posted
Wow, Dallas comes to Cairo!!!

http://ww5.komen.org/ . . . headquartered in Dallas, where the 25th anniversary was celebrated in 2008. Hard to believe it has grown to be such an international event. The first race in Dallas was in 1983 with 800 participants.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
I read on their site it happens in numerous cities around the world.

Excellent. [Big Grin]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
Bump - This event takes place on Saturday.

I will be there [Smile]

Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Bump - This event takes place on Saturday.

I will be there [Smile]

Me too, meeting at the meridan hotel carpark 8am.... not bleedin parking at the pyramids! With me boy/shanta and SA.

Shanta Qadeama
Member # 9889
 - posted
Yeah - Seb Coe eat your heart out [Wink]

du du da di du du
du du da di du du
du du da di du du
di du da di di

(Chariots of Fire - Vangelis)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEF4zH6XHCk

More like Donkeys of Sand by the time we've finished [Big Grin]

Shanta Qadeama
Member # 9889
 - posted
Today's the day - get your trainers out.. not too late to just turn up - race starts at 10am so be at the Pyramids entrance for 9ish.

If you didn't register in advance, you have to pay the tourist entrance price.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
I fell ill again [Frown] had to sms my ride at 6.15 to tell her to go without me. Hope you had a great time.

young at heart
Member # 10365
 - posted
Sorry to hear that Ferret [Frown] Hope you're better soon.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
Aw, ta chuck. It will just be a bug and I will be fine. I just need TLC, tea and sleep [Big Grin]

Shanta Qadeama
Member # 9889
 - posted
Sorry you were sick CF! Maybe next time!

It was a brilliant time, so glad we went! The atmosphere was fantastic.

5 of us met at Meridian Hotel and walked up to the Pyramids. When we got into the pyramids area, we were herded into buses and transported to the start line which was behind the pyramids in the area where you get to see the publicity shots of pyramids standing majestically isolated in a desert as opposed to plonk in the middle of a busy area of the city.

Some 'typically Egyptian' bits - they were waiting for the road between the pyramids and the start up on the plateau to clear of traffic - didn't seem to dawn on anyone that you actually have to stop all the coaches from coming along the road!

Also, the route fell apart a bit near the end - it wasn't clear which way to go! But kudos to the organisers overall, we all had our t-shirts (white for most, pink for survivors, blue for workers), and at the end, you handed over your food voucher and got handed a bag containing water, 'juice', a small bag of chipsies and a small individual pizza.

The tourists on the coaches seemed a little bemused but a lot of them started waving and smiling when they clicked what was going on.

There were thousands of Egyptian women there, and we were also very pleasantly surprised at the number of Egyptian men who turned out to run the event - no reason why we should be given that Egyptian men have wives, mothers, sisters all subject to breast cancer (and of course men can get it too - I did see one guy in a 'survivors' pink t shirt) - probably because we unconsciously pay far too much attention to the entirely one-sided views of Egyptian men gained from ES despite the fact that they are as individual as any other man on the planet.

Anyway, we did our mile in about 30 minutes [Wink] walking like most of the rest of the people.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com