EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Can someone translate this Arabic to English for me please » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
JessRobinson
Member # 18612
 - posted
كام جمل ؟

Dzosser
Member # 9572
 - posted
How many camels ?

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#ar|en|

copy and paste it in there, if what I read is correct, it's NOT nice.

JessRobinson
Member # 18612
 - posted
Oh gosh, Hope it's not what google says!

Dzosser
Member # 9572
 - posted
Google is wrong.. [Roll Eyes]

JessRobinson
Member # 18612
 - posted
Yeah i've been told it says how many camels but wasnt to sure so thought i'd make sure.. Thanks for your help!

Monkey
Member # 17287
 - posted
[Eek!]

marydot
Member # 15932
 - posted
Go on cam and lets see your cus..WTF

I dont think i'll be asking anyone to translate this for me at the moment [Eek!]

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
If you type in How many camels? and translate English to Arabic, it looks entirely different than what you posted Jess. Hmmmm

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Google is wrong.. [Roll Eyes]

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

JessRobinson
Member # 18612
 - posted
Long story short someone wrote it on a piece of paper (when i was on holiday in Sharm) and out of curiosity i asked a friend back home and i didnt believe him that it said how many camels!

Ayisha
Member # 4713
 - posted
agree with Dzosser, how many camels. Naughty Google!

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
If you type in How many camels? and translate English to Arabic, it looks entirely different than what you posted Jess. Hmmmm

I've tried this one and it gave
كم عدد الجمال
which means "what is the number of camels?"

Now here's the intersting thing, if you take this very same Arabic sentence that google gave you, and feed it back into translation from Arabic to English, it gives you "How many beauty"!!!

So google contradicts it's own self.
I hereby declare google to be wrong. It's all Wael's fault, part of the conspiracy against Egypt! [Big Grin]

Ayisha
Member # 4713
 - posted
No conspiracy, Jess is being offered marriage and the mahr is how many camels she requests [Big Grin]

Either that or she is being sold into slavery for some camels, depending on how many she's worth [Big Grin]

Ask for 1000 Jess, 1000 is the magic number, and a few chickens too. [Wink]

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

Either that or she is being sold into slavery for some camels, depending on how many she's worth [Big Grin]

It actually occured to me that he might've asked
كام يا جميل

which effectively means "how much, love?"
The meaning is obvious of course [Embarrassed]

tina m
Member # 13845
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by JessRobinson:
كام جمل ؟

when i trandlated it with google it said cam pu@@y

this
Member # 17234
 - posted
I you wrote it properly as كم جمل google translates it to "How many sentences". It all depends on the context I guess.

tigerlily_misr
Member # 3567
 - posted
Lol, I was asked "How many camels?" in 1994 while going camel riding at the pyramids with a friend from Munich. She had long blong hair, blue eyes... well anyway I told that boy that I am not her mother, he needs to go and ask her parents. Fun times!! [Big Grin]

weirdkitty
Member # 15365
 - posted
Egyptians play up to the whole camel buying thing as a joke (tunisians too, and im sure other middle eastern countries). They will shout it out as you walk through a Market loads. My parents were asked jokingly all the time how many camels they would sell me for (my patents said three racing camels and 20 chickens, Sam still hasn't paid up!). They know Many westerners have that stereotypical view of the middle east, and so just give the tourist what they want.

tigerlily_misr
Member # 3567
 - posted
Well this just brings to mind the 'etneen geneeh' offer from a Cairene guy while walking by one time. My friend was furious. What did he think? We are THAT cheap???? [Razz]

JessRobinson
Member # 18612
 - posted
So it does say How many camels then! Thanks everyone for the help.

Ayisha - very funny! [Razz]

marydot
Member # 15932
 - posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayisha:
agree with Dzosser, how many camels. Naughty Google! [/QUOTE

Indeed Ayisha.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
Egyptians play up to the whole camel buying thing as a joke (tunisians too, and im sure other middle eastern countries). They will shout it out as you walk through a Market loads. My parents were asked jokingly all the time how many camels they would sell me for (my patents said three racing camels and 20 chickens, Sam still hasn't paid up!). They know Many westerners have that stereotypical view of the middle east, and so just give the tourist what they want.

In Morocco they do exactly the same camel joke stuff.
Sorry TL,but in Morocco they offered 200 camels for me.That was some years ago,though [Big Grin]

metinoot
Member # 17031
 - posted
Its sounds like a joke the tourist touts play on tourists who have stars in their eyes.

This subject comes up once or twice a year in the last 4 years of ES.

Between 2002 and 2005 it came up twice a month, so obviously the tourist touts have been laying off the wisecracks for a while.

Possibly showing more restraint and respect.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com