EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Brit Club in cairo ? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Life is a journey
Member # 17655
 - posted
Hi,

Myself, husband and daughter will be 6 weeks are comin to cairo. Someone reccommended we go to the Brit club in maadi ? can any one tell me where it is, what they do, or a link to a website.

Thanks xx

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
the BCA Club Maadi os on Port Said... all the local drivers know this road. It is a nice club with a lovely garden... (It is a big pink house!)

Visit: http://www.bcaegypt.com/

There are 3 Brit clubs in Cairo (Ma'adi being the most child friendly) and there is also the ACE club in Ma'adi which is more popular of late as it is cheap and a good night out.

Life is a journey
Member # 17655
 - posted
thanks, we are going to come along. When we are there x

Chef Mick
Member # 11209
 - posted
we liked the Heliopolis Clubhouse [Wink]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
CM, you went to the Heliopolis one [Wink]

They are nice to visit occasionally but the management are fecking clueless when it comes to looking after us regulars... they haven't got a management bone between them!!!

Which is why a lot of folk are defecting to the ACE club where the people who spend the cash are looked after [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209
 - posted
well i guess next it will be the ACE CLUB.but NO 4 seasons [Big Grin] [Wink]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
ACE club is cheappy cheap cheap... [Big Grin] 4 seasons, not so lol [Wink]

And the food there rocks whereas the Brit clubs overcharge for crap food... IMO obviously. But I have been frequenting them all a lot over the last 4 years [Big Grin]

Ma'adi does havea nice garden area though which the others don't offer. Shame the pool they advertised to get the membership numbers up never materialised [Wink]

Dalia*
Member # 10593
 - posted
Why do you want to go to a British club when visiting Cairo?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
No different from an Egyptian visiting England and going to find a shisha cafe really.

I love the clubs I do, alcohol, English footy, Sunday roasts with yorkshires (on a saturday) darts [Big Grin] Ah, the taste of home [Big Grin]

tigerlily_misr
Member # 3567
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
we liked the Heliopolis Clubhouse [Wink]

Well I was there ...... *scratching my head*.... must have been something like 16 years ago. [Cool]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
16 years ago would have made it a different clubhouse

Dalia*
Member # 10593
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:

No different from an Egyptian visiting England and going to find a shisha cafe really.

I find that weird too. [Big Grin]

Dzosser
Member # 9572
 - posted
You find people who tend to mingle with likes in hangouts, when in a foreign society, weird Dalia ? Birds of a feather flock together after all. [Wink]

weirdkitty
Member # 15365
 - posted
I recommended maadi Brit club as it's a nice place to take a little one for some fresh air. When you have a baby with you sometimes a time out from the crowds a chaos of the streets is refreshing.
I think their bbqs have started up again now too, which makes a nice evening.
Take along a wedding certificate just in case, we have had to show it once to get Sam in, though most of the time they dont ask.

Dalia*
Member # 10593
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
You find people who tend to mingle with likes in hangouts, when in a foreign society, weird Dalia ?

I might be wrong, but I understood that the original poster was just coming for a vacation?

Yes, I find it weird if people travel to a foreign country and then look for restaurants and clubs serving their native food, TV programs etc.

It's different of course for people who live abroad and feel they need a taste of home occasionally. That said, I've never actively searched for Germans in Cairo and lived here for years without having any German friends. As for expat clubs like BCA, they are not my cup of tea, there is something strangely colonoial about the atmosphere there that makes me feel uncomfortable.

Dzosser
Member # 9572
 - posted
OK Dalia, I see your point, but the OP is a Brit. after all and needs to find a way to identify with her 'colonial' environment..maybe ?

tigerlily_misr
Member # 3567
 - posted
I have to admit when I lived in Cairo I was happy whenever a German crossed my path. I was just happy to hear and to be able to communicate in my own native tongue. I missed home at times very very much.

Dzosser
Member # 9572
 - posted
We all do that TL, but sometimes in my case, my compatriot could be trouble, specially if I'm in an Arab country like Saudi, with all those Wahabis and Salafis on the loose.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
Well I was in Deals last night which is not an expat bar and I went with expats... the music was in English, the waiters all spoke English and I was with English people (bar one who is Australian) so I have a choice of either going to bars that are Westernised or Western bars [Smile]

You can take a girl outta England [Wink]

The BBQ at the Ma'adi BCA is lush, the meat is so delicious. We do enjoy going to the BBQs [Smile] 50le a head if I recall... Also, for the kids there is a play area and most weekends there is a bouncy castle, that the adults usually wind up on by the end of the night.

I am off for an Indian tomorrow, and I dare say there will be Indians in there [Big Grin]

Expat bars also celebrate events that Egyptians don't... St Patricks or St George's for example. They have Christmas parties, halloween parties... coffee mornings so the workers wives can gather and plot or whatever they do but they share a lot of info that is very helpful. My Mom loves meeting with the English ladies and talking about their days.

There are numerous reasons why people like to spend time with people from their own community. and the Brit club allows all Westerner passporet holders in and there are many Germans and Americans for example who frequent them. I think there is around 2000 registered memebers.

I look out for British programmes as it is my native tongue and I understand what is going on, I see nothing odd about that at all. I also buy English magazines... as I can read English. I also bring produce back from the UK. you can't beat a good pork sausage sandwich on a Friday morning followed by a bag of Monster munch and a packet of wine gums. LUSH!

Lastly, a lot of us congregate for the English football, rugby or cricket. Damned if I am sitting through and Ali v Zamalek match...

Horses for courses [Big Grin]

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681
 - posted
I also find it odd that so many tourists travel to places then search out 'their own kind' of restaurants, clubs, people etc. I've had American friends visit me in my home country and genuinely wanted to eat Big Macs and KFC every day.
And a Scandinavian [did I spell that right?] friend tells me that her compatriots complain all over the world if they don't get Swedish meatballs on the menu at foreign hotels.

But maybe these folks are thinking of relocating, and want to get a feel for expat life here.
She writes on here a lot, so maybe she wants to meet some of you guys.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
Karaoke Mohandiseen BCA Thursday 7pm... just come through on my email [Big Grin]

After meeting 30+ folk off ES I think it is quite common for people with a common bond to want to meet.

Swedish meatballs, go to IKEA [Big Grin] nom nom

weirdkitty
Member # 15365
 - posted
Her husband is Egyptian and they are going to Egypt to visit family with their newborn. Maadi Brit club is lovely with children of all ages- zain now likes to run about and go on their slides, before he could walk it was good just to get away from all the noise and pollution.

Mmmm the BBQ- we went when it was some special welcome back night. The queue to the food stayed long the whole night. Sadly the BBQ was closed for winter when I was there last [Frown]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
Yeah, it would have been the welcome back. The 3 clubhouse all put something on in Jan to welcome back all the expats who go home for Xmas and NY [Smile]

Yeah, it is child friendly. We try to go in the week when there aren't as many kids about as I have a few mates who cannot tolerate the noise lol. But at least the parents sit outdoors away fromt he smoke as all the Clubhouse permit smoking. That is why Ma'adi is popular with families.

Liaj... I think you will enjoy it, so will your hubby [Big Grin] Especially now the warmer weather is coming. Like WK said, it is nice to get away from the crowds and chaos.

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681
 - posted
Since it's been deducted that the OP probably wants to meet ES folks etc ... and this is probably o/t and should be another thread, Q.? If you could meet anyone at all from ES, not just in Egypt, who would it be?

Life is a journey
Member # 17655
 - posted
Why do you want to go to a British club when visiting Cairo?

Simply - you aint met my Mil pmsl [Big Grin]

Why not ? From what i can gather is a safe environment to take the kids to as well. x

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
See ya there then, I will be the one under the clock with a carnation [Big Grin]

Mo, I would like to meet loads of folk off here, mostly Sono so I can dare her to act all high and mighty to my face and Tina as I have chatted with her and she is really nice [Smile]

Monkey
Member # 17287
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Life is a journey:
Simply - you aint met my Mil pmsl [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889
 - posted

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com