EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Actually named "The Egyptian Museum"? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
kaytie
Member # 4440
 - posted
Is the museum at this link really named the "Egyptian Museum"? I have also seen it referred to as the "Cairo Museum." Which is correct? Does it have a different name in Arabic?

It's just that the name seems too easy for a museum of such grandeur.
http://www.touregypt.net/egyptmuseum/egyptian_museum.htm

Thanks for the help...

Osiris II
Member # 3079
 - posted

I've always heard it called the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.
It is a wonderful place, full of excellent objects. But the museum is old and understaffed, and a lot of the cases are poorly illuminated, and many of the items shown could use a bit of restoration-work.
I understand plans are underway to build a new musuem--I wish them success, and hope to see it on my next trip!

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
Unfortunatley,you can't take pictures in the Cairo Museum anymore. The officals have banned this because I guess the flash in the camera wears away the paint on the artifacts. The same rule applies for temples.

BTW, some people might not know but you have to pay for pictures taken of ancient monuments. One of the way Egypt generates income is from this pratice.

Artemi
Member # 3176
 - posted
Is this a recent developement?
This is how it was when I was in Egypt last year:
All sites had an additional fee for photography.
You could not take FLASH pictures in the museum, but you could take non-flash photos.
In the temples you were allowed to photograph in the sunlight.
In the enclosed temples (that are not exposed to direct sunlight)you could not use flash, but could take photos without.
Inside the tombs no photography was officially permitted anymore - with or without flash.

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
The current no pictures at the Egyptian museum is recent. However,I think some sites in Egypt are allowed to take free but others they charge tourist for. Then again I might be confusing video tapes with cameras.

Marcus
Member # 3035
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Artemi:
You could not take FLASH pictures in the museum, but you could take non-flash photos.

Nothing has changed since, but it's still possible to get away with using Flash. (You pretty much have to, as the museum is poorly lit in many areas.) I took some photos on my last visit to Egypt, but I use film so I cannot post the photos here.

These were posted on another board though:

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 05 August 2004).]

Marcus
Member # 3035
 - posted

Marcus
Member # 3035
 - posted

Marcus
Member # 3035
 - posted

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 05 August 2004).]

kaytie
Member # 4440
 - posted
I'll assume that the name is:

The Egyptian Museum in Cairo

I was there in late winter of 1997 and remember being fascinated by the artifacts. I like old buildings, so that didn't bother me much--but then, I was there for the experience, rather than an academic interest in the displays, so the fact that some items weren't labeled and others were poorly lit didn't bother me.

I remember enjoying the grounds, too.

As to the photography...I recall there being rules about when and where, and fees for some inside shots, but mostly that we had to take care not to include Egyptians unless we didn't mind tipping them.

rasol
Member # 4592
 - posted
Good photos Marcus.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com