EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Questions about Gates' wonders of the African world » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Pax Dahomensis
Member # 9851
 - posted
Hello all,
I recently watched the H.L. Gates' documentary about Kush and I have two questions about it.

1)There was a Sudanese archeologist who claimed that a meroitic complex was a kind of college. Is this theory widely accepted? If not what are the other theories about the use of this place?

2)There was also an Italian Egyptologist who claimed that Piankhy chose to depict himself as "a strong man with black skin". However, I don't remember seeing any portraiture of this king. Has anyone seen any of him? If yes, do you know where I could find it?

Supercar
Member # 6477
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Pax Dahomensis:
[QB] Hello all,
I recently watched the H.L. Gates' documentary about Kush and I have two questions about it.

1)There was a Sudanese archeologist who claimed that a meroitic complex was a kind of college. Is this theory widely accepted? If not what are the other theories about the use of this place?

Clarification: By "a complex", do you mean a specific setting within the Meroitic cultural complex, or are you referring to the said cultural complex in general?

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
I think by "complex" he means an actual constructed area.

Pax Dahomensis
Member # 9851
 - posted
^^Indeed!
Here is a link to a french translated version of the episode:
http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/Nubie/video/xd9dh_les-pharaons-noirs-et-leur-royaume

If anyone knows where I can find other episodes of Gates' documentary, please let me know.

Israel
Member # 11221
 - posted
up......

I saw Gates documentary about ten years ago. He began his journey in: 1)Egypt and Sudan(Nubia), then came to 2) Ethiopia, 3)Swahili Coast of East Africa, etc, etc. He eventually went to Timbuktu where he came upon keepers of the great book collections of Timbuktu. A very interesting, and very underated documentary.....Today, people barely are aware of his documentary.

Concerning the above questions, I don't know. There is a book which might have the key. I haven't read the whole book, but I read a few pages and saw some pictures in it. It is called:

The Nubian Pharaohs: Black Kings on the Nile by Dominique Valbelle

Israel
Member # 11221
 - posted
The Nubian Pharaohs: Black Kings on the Nile by Dominique Valbelle

Also, I just found part of the documentary of Henry Gates in Nubia! If you watch between 2:50-3:02, you will hear the man tell Gates his belief that the Meroitic complex was a college of somesort. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoBn1M3iHpU&feature=related

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com