EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Tonal vs Non-tonal Languages » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Yonis
Member # 7684
 - posted
I remember reading somewhere here that cushitic languages were tonal, while semetic and berber were non-tonal. So what does this mean?
Is Somali tonal?

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216
 - posted
Are you Somali Yonis? If you are are there any Somali homophones you can distinguish because of their different intonation? If yes, it means that the tone allows you to distinguish words and then has a distinctive value. That's a property of what linguists call tonal languages.

Yonis
Member # 7684
 - posted
You mean the same word which can have different meanings due to different tone? I can't come up with any right now, maybe macawiis knows.

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216
 - posted
Yep!

Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
I remember reading somewhere here that cushitic languages were tonal, while semetic and berber were non-tonal. So what does this mean?
Is Somali tonal?

from http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/july/somali.html#stru

quote:
Tones
Somali is considered to be a tonal language. Its tonal system is different from languages such as Chinese, in which every word is associated with a particular tone. The Somali tone-accent system is mostly active at the grammar and discourse levels to indicate grammatical categories and information structure rather than to make a difference in word meaning. Some scholars suggest that Somali has two tiers of tones: one associated with word stress, and one associated with sentence intonation. The two tones interact to produce different tones. Tones are not usually marked in writing.

Yonis
Member # 7684
 - posted
According to wiki article on tonal languages i just read it says somali is a pitch-accent language rather than tonal.

quote:
Many Afro-Asiatic languages in the Chadic, Cushitic and Omotic families have register-tone systems, such as Chadic Hausa. Many of the Omotic tone systems are quite complex. However, many other languages, such as Cushitic Somali, have pitch-accent systems rather than tone.

AFRICA I
Member # 13222
 - posted
Very interesting subject, I think Djehuti have some information on that...

Macawiis_Bile_Nigiish
Member # 11724
 - posted
Yonis I'm not an expert but some scholars classify Somali as a Tonal-accent language but like the Luganda language it's still unclear. There are many Somali words that differ in meaning, but have the same spelling; also some words differ slightly in spelling, which many Somalis do not know well or follow.

I will show some examples, of those that differ a bit in spelling and meaning, those differ only in meaning and those that differ in meaning and spelling, but close enough still.

first those that have a slight different spelling [which some Somalis are not well-aware of], but have very, very indiscernible pronunciation:

Xabbad: bullet

xabad: chest

Caddoow: white/whitey [for a male]

Cadow: enemy

Lab: male [as in gender]

Laba: two

Caddeey: whitey [for a female or a place; i.e., Marka Caddeey]

Cadey: Traditional toothbrush

Second Those that have a different meaning, but have the same spelling [Homophones]:

Doon: boat

Doon: want

Laan: a tree's branch

Laan: vagina

Af: mouth

Af: language

Daah: curtain

Daah: going late

Bar: a birthmark

Bar: teach

Yar: small

Yar: a little boy/man

Daaf: outside/out

Daaf: what some people have in their eyes when they wake up

Go': separate

Go': shaal or the white garment Somali men use on the upper body

Baar: a particular tree name [Baardheere is named after the 'baar' tree]

Baar: a bar or a mini-restaurant [borrowed from English]

Baar: a humble, maskiin person ["baari"]

[The word 'baar,' though universally spelled the same, has many different meanings.]

Third Some Somali words are also close in pronunciation, however still different in spelling and a huge difference when exactly pronounced. Such words as:

Bur: flour

Buur: mountain

War: news

Waar: "existing forever"

Mar: pass

Maar: copper

Fal: doing/do

Faal: astrology

Gaab: short

Gab: covering

It's much like the Rendille af Somali: Reer Diinle(people of God) language which is also a tonal-accent language or something close to that(?).

Yom
Member # 11256
 - posted
Interesting...I knew Caddow was white, but now I wonder if it's at all connected to Tigrinya Tsa`ida (=white). The equivalent Somali spelling would be tsacida, I guess. Since Somali doesn't have a "ts" sound, maybe it dropped it? (I don't really know anything about Somali historical phonology, so this is just a guess...)

Macawiis_Bile_Nigiish
Member # 11724
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
Interesting...I knew Caddow was white, but now I wonder if it's at all connected to Tigrinya Tsa`ida (=white). The equivalent Somali spelling would be tsacida, I guess. Since Somali doesn't have a "ts" sound, maybe it dropped it? (I don't really know anything about Somali historical phonology, so this is just a guess...)

Caddow(Addow)= from Cad(ad) when used in a sentence ''Cadaan''(Adaan) (it was probably originally used to refer to the Yemenis from Aden(?)..) still the Tsa`ida connection is interesting!..There is a Somali word ''Tacsida'' from ''Tacsi'' but that means ''Mourning/(or giving condolences to the family) [Frown] [Big Grin]

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICA I:

Very interesting subject, I think Djehuti have some information on that...

I am more familiar with the tonal languages of Asia than I am with African languages.

However, Mystery Solver provided some enlightening info in his ancient African chronology thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Solver:

Two other lessons have particular applicability to Afroasiatic. For one, the northerly Afroasiatic languages (Semitic, Berber, Egyptian) appear together to form just one sub-branch of the family, and if relied upon to the exclusion of the other, deeper, branchings of the family, give a misleading picture of overall Afroasiatic reconstruction. In addition, Afroasiatic is a family of much greater time depth than even most of its students realize; its first divergences trace back probably at least 15,000 years ago, not just 8,000 or 9,000 as many believe. --- Ehret: Reflections on Reconstructing Proto-Afroasiatic: Vowels, Tone, Consonants, and Vocabulary

..and why not add, the following:

The Semitic family can also trace their origins from this area in north-eastern Africa. Most modern experts hold the theory that the Semitic precursor-language must have at first existed in a cluster with ancient Egyptian and Berber, before exiting into its unique form. However the timing for these events is quite difficult to discern. The Semitic language-precursor being, for our purposes, the "last" language in formation, was somehow transported into Arabia and further east into central and northern Asia.

Tonal languages appear in the Omotic, Chadic, and South and East Cushitic branches of Afro-Asiatic, according to Ehret (1996). The Semitic, Berber, and Egyptian branches do not use tones phonemically.

From what I can tell, they are indeed closely related; Beja seems to be grammatically more similar to the "Berber" languages than other Cushitic languages. This is understandable if "Berber" and "Beja" diverged from a branch of an already differentiated "Proto-Afrasan" language, with perhaps Beja being the older. Indeed, there might well be something to Sforza's observation that Tuaregs ["Berber" speakers] were least genetically distant to the Beja. The non-tonal languages of Egyptic, 'Berber' and 'Semitic' branches cluster relatively closely in comparison to other Afrasan languages, while they are more grammatically similar to Beja than other groups under the Cushitic sub-family. Omotic, Chadic and Cushitic sub-families largely consist of tonal languages, perhaps exemplifying [possibly older] branches relatively closer to the ancestral proto-Afrasan language. Chadic and Berber may have seen enough inter-influences via interactions of moving populations, to entice some scholars to closely associate them; however, again, Berber languages are considered non-tonal, while Chadic groups are largely considered otherwise. Ethio-Semitic languages too have heavily been influenced by Cushitic languages like say, the Agaw.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
up

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com