EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Anok, Meti, and Pharaoh Neferkare » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
coleyk
Member # 17062
 - posted
Recently I was watching a show, and yes, I realize on a show..that they may just be spouting info for entertainment, and it may have no factual backround at all. But this happens to be a show that is based on science and they usually get things right. But last night on the show..they found a mummy that had been stolen from a museum, the person who identifies remains classified the mummy as being from the 18th dynasty...he was named as being Anok..the boy with the bleeding heart, the story goes that he was beheaded because he and his brother were out riding horses, and Meti was next in line for the Kingdom, so Anok killed him by throwing him from his horse and then making his horse stomp on him..right in the heart. Meti died and Anok was accused of being his killer so they beheaded him. Now..there is a debate going on on the forum for this show on a few things:

1. this could not be the 18th dynasty as there is no one with the name of Anok or Meti in that dynasty era.

2. the father of the boys was listed to be Pharaoh Neferkare..there is no pharaoh of that name in the 18th dynasty..but there is in the 6th and 7th dynasties correct?

and last but not least..is there any story in egyptian history like this? or was this just for entertainment.
Any info you could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by coleyk:
1. this could not be the 18th dynasty as there is no one with the name of Anok or Meti in that dynasty era.

That depends. I know all the names of the 18th dynasty kings and while non of them bore any of those names can we be sure for minor princes or even noblemen, let alone individuals other ranks in the kingdom.

quote:
2. the father of the boys was listed to be Pharaoh Neferkare..there is no pharaoh of that name in the 18th dynasty..but there is in the 6th and 7th dynasties correct?
One problem with this assumption is that pharaohs from at least Middle Kingdom times used 5 names! A pharaoh would have his birth name as well as 4 other titles-- the throne name, the horus name, the golden horus name, and the Nebti name. For convenience, scholars just go by the birth name, but unless this 'Neferkare' is an actual translation of one of the other names(?)...

quote:
and last but not least..is there any story in egyptian history like this? or was this just for entertainment.
Any info you could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks

Well considering that pharonic history is over 3,000 years old, I don't think we should rule such an event out. But personally this is the first I've heard of this particular story, though I've heard of many more political intrigue stories of murder in pharaonic succession that such a story would not be unrealistic.

Wally
Member # 2936
 - posted
coleyk,

This is entertainment and could very well be of Ancient Egyptian origins...

a) The names are fanciful;
Anok means "I"
Meti means "righteous man"

b) Neferkare or "the excellent essence of Re" is most likely an NsuBiti name, but it could also be his SaRe name, or Hor name, or...

Don't sweat it for facts; the Ancient Egyptians had cartoons as well for their entertainment...

[Cool]

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371
 - posted
quote:
Anok means "I" Meti means "righteous man"
That's funny...because that sounds very Rastafarian
Eg I man righteous.. [Big Grin]

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:

coleyk,

Anok means "I"

b) Neferkare or "the excellent essence of Re" is most likely an NsuBiti name, but it could also be his SaRe name, or Hor name, or...

Don't sweat it for facts; the Ancient Egyptians had cartoons as well for their entertainment...

[Cool]

Are you suggesting that not only was this story a fictional work, but one for entertainment purposes sort of like an ancient soap-opera??

Wally
Member # 2936
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:

coleyk,

Anok means "I"

[Cool]

Are you suggesting that not only was this story a fictional work, but one for entertainment purposes sort of like an ancient soap-opera??
Prezactly...if it was originally Kememou... [Wink]

madafaka
Member # 18217
 - posted
i asked my history teacher about the story of anok and she said the he really existed in the 18th dinasty but i dont really think that his brother had the sickness and his mother put a preceus stone in his chest like in the show BONES

Apocalypse
Member # 8587
 - posted
http://blog.zap2it.com/ithappenedlastnight/2009/10/bones-brennan-lets-her-geek-flag-fly.html

Slytherin_Princess
Member # 19085
 - posted
Anok, the Boy with the Bleeding Heart. He was the second son of the Pharaoh, and according to legend, Anok's older brother, Meti, fell off his horse and Anok trampled him to death to ensure that he would ascend to the throne. Anok insisted that his brother's Injuries were the result of the fall, but the Pharaoh didn't believe him and he went into a rage and he cut off Anok's head. He became known as the Boy with the Bleeding Heart because his grief was two-fold. Grief for the death of his brother, and grief for the loss of his father's love. but it turns out Meti suffered from osteogenesis imperfecta, otherwise known as brittle bone disease. Meti's fall from his horse killed him; Anok was innocent.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ What program or source does this come from?

KittyKatz
Member # 19645
 - posted
^ It was a tv show called Bones. I can't quite remember the name of the episode, though.

Whatbox
Member # 10819
 - posted
quote:
coleyk,

Anok means "I"

[Cool]

I read that the Ancient Egyptians (or their scribes) were big on word-play.

Like in the common title given to Ausar, and how it's doubted by Budge (who is the one who mentioned this) that folks knew or appeared to know the real etymology of the name Ausar as they would tend to resort to "childish plays upon words" whenever they attempted to find etymologies for the names of ntrw (deities).

He uses as two examples, the following:
  • "Your beauty (or goodness) maketh itself manifest in your person to rouse the gods to life in your name Un-Nefer"
  • "You come as the strength (wsr) of Ra in your name of Asar"
Word meanings:
  • un = to "make", "appear", or "make manifest",
    neferu here = "good things"
  • Second is like this also, Ausar's name being a throne either on an eye or before a disk and all (Ra's association with the sun, Khepera's eye, Heru's eye, the sky's eye).

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com