EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Parental Incest May Be Cause of King Tut's Short Life » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Miss_Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Updated: Thursday, 19 Aug 2010, 8:05 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 19 Aug 2010, 8:05 PM EDT

(NewsCore) - Using 21st century technology, including DNA and CT scanning, a team of scientists attempted to put to rest the mystery of King Tut’s death -- concluding he was a victim of his incestuous lineage, according to an article in the September issue of National Geographic.

For years, scientists have tried to unravel ancient clues as to why the boy king of Egypt, who reigned for 10 years, died at the age of 19.

Several theories have been put forth. One was that he was killed by a blow to the head. Another put the blame on a broken leg. As recently as June, German scientists said they believe there is evidence he died of sickle cell disease.

A team of researchers using a combination of CT scans, DNA testing and archaeological information now believe his fate was sealed by the fact that his parents were brother and sister. His body was just not built to last.

The research was conducted by archaeologists and geneticists who started performing CT scans on Tutankhamun five years ago and found that he was not killed by a blow to the head, as previously though. That same team began doing DNA research on Tut’s mummy, as well as the mummified remains of other members of his family, in 2008.

DNA finally put to rest questions about Tut’s lineage, proving that his father was Akhenaten and that his mother was not one of Akhenaten’s known wives. His mother was one of Akhenaten’s five sisters, although it is not known which one.

New CT images discovered congenital flaws, which are more common among the children of incest. Siblings are more likely to pass on twin copies of harmful genes, which is why children of incest more commonly manifest genetic defects.

Among the new discoveries is that Tut had a clubbed foot and that one toe was missing a bone and bones in part of his foot were destroyed by necrosis. It was previously thought that the staffs found in his tomb were symbols of power. The scientists involved in this new research now believe he may have used them as walking sticks.

They added he likely had a partially cleft palate, which is also a congenital flaw.

They also discovered that new bone growth had occurred in response to the necrosis, proving the condition was present during his lifetime and adding weight to the argument that the boy king had difficulty walking.

They also noted that while the bone disease would have been crippling, it would not have been fatal. His mummy was tested for various infectious diseases. They discovered DNA from several strains of a parasite proving he was infected with the most severe strain of malaria several times in his short life. Malaria can trigger circulatory shock or cause a fatal immune response in the body, either of which can lead to death.

It is just as likely, however, that Tutankhamun’s health was compromised at conception, said researchers. “Perhaps he struggled against others [congenital flaws] until a severe bout of malaria or a leg broken in an accident added one strain too many to a body that could no longer carry the load,” wrote Zahi Hawass, an archaeologist involved in the research.

The research is ongoing. They are now trying to determine the identities of mummified females found in Tut’s tomb. One mummified fetus is Tut’s daughter. There is only partial data now available for two female adults. One of them may be the infants’ mother and thus, Tut’s wife. It is thought that she might be the child of Akhenaten and Nefertiti, which would make her Tut’s half-sister.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpps/news/parental-incest-may-be-cause-of-king-tut%27s-short-life-dpgonc-20100819-gc-_9258099

The Explorer
Member # 14778
 - posted
These Tut-dedicated researchers are all over the place, with different reasons for the young royalty's death. Now, it is presumably because he was the product of incest. That they have to entertain that notion further underscores just how foreign the ancient Egyptian cultural complex is to them, notwithstanding the never-ending romantic fixation folks the in the "West" have about ancient Egypt. That doesn't mean that there are not a few observant observers out there who know about the concept of the "heiress queen" and how far it was from being an "incestuous affair": Polygamy in Ancient Egypt!. Certainly, this long held tradition would not have suddenly been abandoned for an "incestuous" one during the New Kingdom.

KING
Member # 9422
 - posted
The Explorer

Take it like this Explorer, Egypt is more and more being shown to be the work of"Black" Africans. So what better way of lowering the respect for AE then saying Tut, the most famous of Egypts royals was a product of incest.

The more African Egypt is recognized as, the more they will try and discredit it(Eurocentrics).

Peace

The Explorer
Member # 14778
 - posted
^It would seem so, doesn't it!

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ But I doubt this is the case here. I mean I hear no mention of Egypt's African identity in this article nor any of the other countless articles on Tut. It seems to me that it is merely a case of experts grasping for something.

LAW_OF_NATURE
Member # 16969
 - posted
OK folks, can a King be married to two "hieress-queens" at the same time. One being his actual spouse (or "great royal wife") and the other being more of a political marriage for the sake of "uniting" for example, Upper and Lower Egypt? Is that possible?

Chopper City
Member # 16969
 - posted
This is what I'm getting at - can the raigning King ( [Big Grin] ) be "strategically married (no sexual relations)" to a hieress-queen (who has her husband) while also being married to another hieress-queen who is his "great royal wife". The great royal wife could of course be his spouse or perhaps a sister or daughter.

Would appreciate some clarification on this.

The Explorer
Member # 14778
 - posted
It is my understanding that only one individual was needed to assume the role of the heiress queen for the pharaoh. Therefore, even though there might be occasions wherein more than one individual could take on the responsibility of the heiress queen, the role was assigned to just one based on seniority or special circumstance to be determined, if seniority was to be put aside for some reason or the other. And no, I don't see how the "great royal wife" who is treated in an intimate way as a wife could have been a heiress queen at the same time under ordinary circumstances; remember, the whole point of having the concept of a "heiress queen" in the first place, was because she is not the sort of person that the pharaoh is supposed to be intimate with. Otherwise, all the pharaoh simply needed was to find themselves somebody they were attracted to, and marry them as their "heiress queen" AND their "great royal wife" that they could be intimate with. Clearly, the "heiress queen" had to have blood ties with the out-going royalty, so as to lay claim on unbroken royal legitimacy. * Of course, as an exception to the rule, there are some cases wherein a person of no royalty ties, who wished to assume the role of the pharaoh, felt compelled to marry a heiress-queen from a preceding Dynasty, to gain royal legitimacy. This is the only instance conceivable, wherein the pharaoh could have been intimate and/or have a "great royal wife" who is also the heiress queen. Confusing somewhat, but I hope it makes sense.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ Correct. The whole concept of heiress queen means there was one and ONLY one woman who could assume such a title and that always meant the chief wife of the pharaoh. The actual concept itself rooted in matrilineage and may be a remnant of matrilineal times if Egyptian society during dynastic times was patrilineal. This was even mirrored in the mythology where the symbol of the goddess Auset (Isis) is a throne and thus seat of power where Ausar (Osiris) represents the king to wield the power.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ I forgot to add that while the royal heiress custom is not unique to Africa (as there is evidence suggesting it was also practiced in the so-called 'Near East' and even Europe in archaic Greece and Rome), one clue of Egypt's African nature can be found in the fact that although the pharaoh had his own harem of women the Great Wife was allowed to have sexual relations with other men. This can be seen in the 18th dynasty where the princes Kamose and Ahmose I were the sons of Ahhotep I not by her husband Sekenenra but by an unknown male. Such a custom is seen nowhere else but in Africa.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by KING:

The Explorer

Take it like this Explorer, Egypt is more and more being shown to be the work of"Black" Africans. So what better way of lowering the respect for AE then saying Tut, the most famous of Egypts royals was a product of incest.

The more African Egypt is recognized as, the more they will try and discredit it(Eurocentrics).

Peace

I seriously doubt this is a case of discrediting let alone denigrating Egypt for being African. As I said, works like this on Tut have nothing to do with Egypt's ethnic or cultural identity. Either the experts who write such articles are totally oblivious to Egypt's African nature OR they are just in denial.

Regardless there is no denying Tut's genetic findings

He is indeed the son of Akhenaten and the KV35 Younger Lady who is Akhenaten's full blooded.

-  -

We musn't forget that as disgusting as it is, incestual relations such as this was also traditionally a common practice among African royalty.

argyle104
Member # 14634
 - posted
And yet you have people who live and breathe that the African diaspora is "mixed", "admixed", or whatever peabrained term they use.

Afterall it is the pervasive belief that a limited few white men had continuos and damn near exclusive sexual relations with African women.

For AAs and those of the caribbean to be "admixed" they would have to have been heavily incest and those groups would have the various health disorders that would come with incestation.

People, this post is a clear demonstration of why one needs to have superior logic, analytical, and critical thinking capabilities.

Hammer
Member # 17003
 - posted
Djehuti has just retured from Neptune with some of the most comical pictures we have seen. We can always tune here for radical black racism 101.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ And what comical pictures are you referring to? Do you mean the photo of an actual authentic bust of Akhenaten or the Discovery Channel reconstruction of the KV35 Younger Lady??

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com