EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egypt finds 17 lost pyramids » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
tigerlily_misr
Member # 3567
 - posted
A satellite survey used infra-red images to detect underground buildings.

News Desk
May 25, 2011 02:10

A new satellite survey of Egypt reportedly found 17 lost pyramids along with more than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements.

The survey used infra-red images to detect underground buildings, the BBC reports.

Satellites above the earth were equipped with cameras that could pin-point objects on the earth's surface. The infra-red imaging then highlighted different materials under the surface, it states.

The work was done by a NASA-sponsored laboratory in Birmingham, Alabama.

"To excavate a pyramid is the dream of every archeologist," Sarah Parcak who led the project told BBC.

Meanwhile, Egypt opened the tombs of seven men, including some who served King Tutankhamen, to tourists earlier this week after restoration, the Associated Press reports.

Egypt hopes the tombs in the New Kingdom Cemetery in South Saqqara will draw more tourists to the area.

Egypt's tourism industry has been badly hit by the revolution that toppled the government in February and subsequent political uncertainty.

The number of tourists to Egypt fell 46 percent in the first quarter, Reuters reported Sunday

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/egypt/110525/egypt-finds-17-lost-pyramids

Perhaps my son should study Egyptology after all. He's so into this stuff. It's actually a great idea!!! He will do what her really wants to do as a grown-up and I keep getting to see Egypt from time to time [Wink]

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
That's great tigerlily. I would not discourage him but I hope he has money set aside for PHD level Egyptology classes. Having medicine or law as a back up plan might turn out to be more lucrative.
Egyptology/Anthropology is a hard field to break into unless you have deep pockets or grants from people like the McArthur foundation. Best of luck to your son.

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126
 - posted
Personally, I care about the craftsman townships that grew up to build them. Those places have records.

adrianne
Member # 10761
 - posted
a program next monday or wednesday on the bbc is about these buildings

The Explorer
Member # 14778
 - posted
Underground pyramids?...which were "lost"?

Just call me Jari
Member # 14451
 - posted
^^^
Its prob. just an attempt to jump start tourism in Egypt..

Whatbox
Member # 10819
 - posted
Awesome!

rahotep101
Member # 18764
 - posted
How careless do you have to be to lose SEVENTEEN pyramids!?

vwwvv
Member # 18359
 - posted

typeZeiss
Member # 18859
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
That's great tigerlily. I would not discourage him but I hope he has money set aside for PHD level Egyptology classes. Having medicine or law as a back up plan might turn out to be more lucrative.
Egyptology/Anthropology is a hard field to break into unless you have deep pockets or grants from people like the McArthur foundation. Best of luck to your son.

IF he goes to a proper university in the states they generally don't pay for PHd. you get a stipend and you are a teacher assistant and in return you get PHd for free. THat is unless you go to a less traditional university, then you will have to pay.

HERU
Member # 6085
 - posted
And it sucks you-know-who will get to them first

rahotep101
Member # 18764
 - posted
The most interesting implication of the satellite imagery is the number of additional settlements that there appear to have been in ancient Egypt, indicating a larger population than previously estimated, especially in the delta region where lost cities lie deep under modern settlements and farmland.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com