EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Did King Taharqa really make an expedition into Europe? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
I've been having debates about this for a while and finally decided to make a thread about this. Did Taharqa of the 25th dynasty really make an expedition into Europe specifically Spain? Is this really true? Some say its an Ancient legend and some say its true.

Greek historians Erathosthenes or Strabo state he advanced as far as Europe and even as far as the "Pillars of Hercules" in Spain.

Then we have this.

quote:
In 700 B.C during the 25 dynasty in Egypt, when the Ethiopian Warrior-Prince Taharka was a young general, but before he had been ceded the throne by his uncle Shabataka. It is this same Taharka (referred to in early Spanish chronicles as Tarraco) that led a garrison into Spain and invaded it during this period. There is clear and indisputable reference to this in a manuscript by Florian de Ocampo, Cronica General published in Medina del Campo in 1553. The name of the invading general is given as Tarraco. He is not only identified as head of the Ethiopian army. The reference is more specific. It says he was later to become a king of Egypt.

The name, the period, the historical fact of his generalship and his later kingship of Egypt, his Ethiopian origin and the wide-ranging trade and exploration of the Ethiopian in this period, all attest to the validity of this reference.

Also the most persuasive of all is the fact that cartouches of the Upper Egyptian kings of this period have been found in Spain! Evidence of such cartouches may be found in the journal of the Epigraphic Society (Vol. 7, No. 171-April 1971)[Golden Age of the Moor by Ivan Van Sermita]

Taharka was EVEN mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, under the name 'Taharqa'. Taharka,[Taharqa/Tarraco] Also led a Army into Palestine to support the Israelite king Hezekiah against the Assyrians; Defending Israel who was his ally. He is therefore in the Bible in two places, 2 Kings 19:9, and Isaiah 37:9. For this and other feats, Starbo [Greek Scholar] included Taharka in a list of history’s greatest conquerors. Taharka was also mentioned by Another Roman historian, Diodorus of Sicily.

http://kinghorus.tripod.com/PharaohTaharka.html

Is any of this true or just false legends?

Firewall
Member # 20331
 - posted
I think it's true.

There needs to be a movie or mini-series like the shaka zulu one for Taharqa.

More documentaries will be really good.

I use to say movie,but i think more so a mini-series will be better.

It will tell the story better and in more detail.

That is what they needed to do first before another alexander movie.

Mini series are best way to go first.

I know movies could reach a larger crowd,but i prefer the story to be told well then reaching a larger crowd right away and if done right,promoted right etc... it could reach that large enough crowd in time.

Will smith may have change his mind,because of Hollywood may have wanted to change the script.

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
^^^Agreed.

Not trying to be racist, but Hollywood is dominated by Jews and I dont think they would like to see a powerful African ruling over people who they claim were not African, that ruled over them(which was proven to be false btw).

Firewall
Member # 20331
 - posted
I ADDED SOME STUFF.

quote:
Originally posted by Firewall:
I think it's true.

There needs to be a movie or mini-series like the shaka zulu one for Taharqa.

More documentaries will be really good.

I use to say movie,but i think more so a mini-series will be better.

It will tell the story better and in more detail.

That is what they needed to do first before another alexander movie.

Mini series are the best way to go first.

I know movies could reach a larger crowd,but i prefer the story to be told well then reaching a larger crowd right away and if done right,promoted right etc... it could reach that large enough crowd in time.

Will smith may have change his mind,because of Hollywood may have wanted to change the script.

quote:
Originally posted by Son of Ra:
^^^Agreed.

Not trying to be racist, but Hollywood is dominated by Jews and I dont think they would like to see a powerful African ruling over people who they claim were not African, that ruled over them(which was proven to be false btw).

Yeah, and if it is to be done right egyptians or nubians there has to be other ways and forget Hollywood.

Africans are going to have to do this or even blacks from europe or other places or blacks in america will have to do it outside Hollywood.

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
quote:

Greek historians Erathosthenes or Strabo state he advanced as far as Europe and even as far as the "Pillars of Hercules" in Spain.

The Pillars of Hecules are a name given by the ancient Greeks to a pair of rocks at the Strait of Gibraltar, the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea. The northern, or European, rock is Gibraltar (ancient name: Calpe).

I'm not sure about how "as far as" applies

Rock of Gibralter  -

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

The Pillars of Hecules are a name given by the ancient Greeks to a pair of rocks at the Strait of Gibraltar, the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea. The northern, or European, rock is Gibraltar (ancient name: Calpe).

I'm not sure about how "as far as" applies

Rock of Gibralter  -

All I know is that Greek historians said he ventured as far as to Europe. That's all I really know.

Troll Patrol aka Ish Gebor
Member # 18264
 - posted
Another "intelligent" post by: " the great one".

Sarcasm [Smile]

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
Anyways back on topic..

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
read this

The Rescue of Jerusalem: The Alliance Between Hebrews and Africans in 701 BC

http://books.google.com/books?id=zB4MkkMkMD8C&pg=PT537&lpg=PT53

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
^I've seen that book, but I have not read it. Many people said it was really good, so I really wanna try it out. Did you read it? How was it?

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
quote:
^I've seen that book, but I have not read it. Many people said it was really good, so I really wanna try it out. Did you read it? How was it?

click the link you can read the part wher Tarahrqa and Pillar of Hercules is mentioned

also bible:

2 Kings 19:8-10
King James Version (KJV)
8 So Rabshakeh returned, and found the king of Assyria warring against Libnah: for he had heard that he was departed from Lachish.

9 And when he heard say of Tirhakah king of Ethiopia, Behold, he is come out to fight against thee: he sent messengers again unto Hezekiah, saying,

10 Thus shall ye speak to Hezekiah king of Judah, saying, Let not thy God in whom thou trustest deceive thee, saying, Jerusalem shall not be delivered into the hand of the king of Assyria.

Isaiah 37:8-10
King James Version (KJV)
8 So Rabshakeh returned, and found the king of Assyria warring against Libnah: for he had heard that he was departed from Lachish.

9 And he heard say concerning Tirhakah king of Ethiopia, He is come forth to make war with thee. And when he heard it, he sent messengers to Hezekiah, saying,

10 Thus shall ye speak to Hezekiah king of Judah, saying, Let not thy God, in whom thou trustest, deceive thee, saying, Jerusalem shall not be given into the hand of the king of Assyria.

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
Archaeological evidence suggests that Stone Age tribes lived in Gibraltar caves, but the earliest recorded history points to the Greek settlement of Calpe ('ship') The current name resulted in the 8th-century when the Berber general,Tariq ibn Ziyad, established a military camp here and from this natural fortress, he seized modern Spain and Portugal and established Iberia's hybrid culture. The limestone boulder gebel (rock) combined with his name, Tariq became Gebel Tariq which was shortened to Gibraltar.

Tukuler
Member # 19944
 - posted
No.

Pharaoh Taharqa did not invade Iberia.
His hands were quite full w/t Assyrians.

There is absolutely no pre-foreign
domination AE record of any direct
contact with Iberia, Appenninica,
or even the central to west Maghreb.

I used to own Heeren's Historical researches
into the politics, intercourse, and trade of
the Carthaginians, Ethiopians, and Egyptians

and there was nothing there.

There's plenty of authentic info
about Taharqa to besmirch it by
chasing fantasies.

Taharqa in Iberia is but a romantic legend.
Stuff like that is what makes some doubt
Africa has any legitimate history at all.

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371
 - posted
Have the book, quite good actually should be in your personal library along with Black Spark White Fire and Diop's classic African Origin of Civilization Myth or Reality,George G.M James Stolen Legacy, Man, God and Civilization John G. Jackson,Nature knows no color line J.A Rogers.
Mind you much in these works are dated due to new info especially from genetics but so much more is confirmed and stood the test of time.

Ps yall need to sign up for Swenet's facebook thing and ESR it should not be an either or neither situation,trolls keep fuking with you all and I refuse to make new meaningful threads under these conditions.

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
No.

chasing fantasies.

what is your opinion on

The Rescue of Jerusalem: The Alliance Between Hebrews and Africans in 701 BC

Tukuler
Member # 19944
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:

Have the book, quite good actually should be in your personal library along with
Black Spark White Fire and
Diop's classic African Origin of Civilization Myth or Reality,
George G.M James Stolen Legacy,
Man, God and Civilization John G. Jackson,
Nature knows no color line J.A Rogers.
Mind you much in these works are dated due to new info especially from genetics but so much more is confirmed and stood the test of time.

Ps yall need to sign up for Swenet's facebook thing and ESR it should not be an either or neither situation,trolls keep fuking with you all and I refuse to make new meaningful threads under these conditions.

co-sign on all you said
except I found that book
boring to read yet chock
full of very fine material
nonetheless

BTW - I linked a page from
VanSertima's Egypt Child of
Africa on Taharqa in Spain
for Swenet's Facebook group
but since then GOOGLE took
the book out of preview, hmmm.

Moral of the story save book
pages to storage 'cos you
never know when the powers
that be say it's time for ****
to go!

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
@the lioness,

Thanks. [Smile]

@Tukuler

Thanks for your contribution. But they say it happened when he was a prince and not leader. But I too am not sure if this is true, but I was just curious.

@Brada-Anansi

I heard black spark white fire was a good book. And yeah people should join Swenets FB group.

Tukuler
Member # 19944
 - posted
They? Who is they?
& when did "they"
say it?

I mean, seriously
read up on Dyn 25
you'd be surprised
what you might find

Dyn 25 pharaoh's left
annals on their doings
ya know

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
quote:
They? Who is they?
& when did "they"
say it?

I mean, seriously
read up on Dyn 25
you'd be surprised
what you might find

Dyn 25 pharaoh's left
annals on their doings
ya know

The Greek historians, like Strabo. I'm just going by what they said. Again I heard of this, so I was just curious.

zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718
 - posted
In 700 B.C during the 25 dynasty in Egypt, when the Ethiopian Warrior-Prince Taharka was a young general, but before he had been ceded the throne by his uncle Shabataka. It is this same Taharka (referred to in early Spanish chronicles as Tarraco)

On what basis did you say "Taracco" is the same as
the famed Tarharka? What "early Spanish chronicles" say
Tarhaka is the same Taracco? You haven't given any
credible sources just that the names may sound the
same and begin with "T"..

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova:
In 700 B.C during the 25 dynasty in Egypt, when the Ethiopian Warrior-Prince Taharka was a young general, but before he had been ceded the throne by his uncle Shabataka. It is this same Taharka (referred to in early Spanish chronicles as Tarraco)

On what basis did you say "Taracco" is the same as
the famed Tarharka? What "early Spanish chronicles" say
Tarhaka is the same Taracco? You haven't given any
credible sources just that the names may sound the
same and begin with "T"..

This is not me that said this, but the source...

Tukuler
Member # 19944
 - posted
Strabo Book 15
quote:

6 But as for us, what just credence can we place in the accounts of India
derived from such an expedition made by Cyrus, or Semiramis? And Megasthenes
virtually agrees with this reasoning when he bids us to have no faith in the
ancient stories about the Indians; for, he says, neither was an army ever
sent outside the country by the Indians nor did any outside army ever invade
their country and master them, except that with Heracles and Dionysus and
that in our times with the Macedonians. However, Sesostris, the Aegyptian,
he adds, and Tearco the Aethiopian advanced as far as Europe; 687 and Nabocodrosor,
who enjoyed greater p9repute among the Chaldaeans than Heracles, led an army
even as far as the Pillars. Thus far, he says, also Tearco went; and Sesostris
also led his army from Iberia to Thrace and the Pontus
; and Idanthyrsus the
Scythian overran Asia as far as Aegypt; but no one of these touched India,
and Semiramis too died before the attempt; and, although the Persians
summoned the Hydraces as mercenary troops from India, the latter did
not make an expedition to Persia, but only came near it when Cyrus was
marching against the Massagetae.

Apparently Strabo didn't believe it himself.

There is a page in a Spanish romance dated
1553 by Florian de Ocampo about "Taharqa"
conquering Iberia, and Barry Fell (yeah)
"found" a cartouche with his name there.
That's the info in VanSertima's journal.

What's really interesting though nobody
seems curious about it is the actual
AE recorded deeds of Taharqa and other
Dyn 25 pharaohs.

Can anybody tell us about Dyn 25?

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
Whats also interesting is that remember seeing a source that stated Romans mentioning Taharqa, again don't know if true.

Son of Ra
Member # 20401
 - posted
Bump.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
quote:

No.

chasing fantasies.

I concur. In all my years of research I have never come upon any evidence that Taharka made any gains in the Maghreb let alone Iberia or any part of Europe. It's one of those 'too good to be true' claims. And you are right that we should leave such fiction alone and go after real historical facts if we are to destroy euronut racism once and for all. [Embarrassed]

Tukuler
Member # 19944
 - posted
I couldn't care less about "destroying euronut
racism," that's just reactionary as if there's
nothing to African studies just euro bashing.

You do a lot of good research on Africa(ans)
but is the basis of your peoples studies etc
predicated on naysaying euronuts?

People's studies and researches are built up
by positive enquiry about self not crying
"what they say about us is wrong" as if if
they don't say nothing then we have nothing
to say because without them we are not.

I know u noy comin' from there but just sayin'

BrandonP
Member # 3735
 - posted
I was just thinking back to this. There doesn't seem to be any archaeological evidence for a significant Kushite presence anywhere in Europe during Taharqa's reign, but how would these stories about him visiting Spain (e.g. the one Strabo recounts in his Geography) have come about in the first place?

If nothing else, it would make a cool alternate-history scenario.

UPDATE: Even if Taharqa himself never went to Spain, I don't think a Kushite presence over there is impossible. We know the Phoenicians were setting up trading posts along the Iberian coast during that time period. The city of Cadiz for example got its start as the Phoenician colony of Gadir around 1104 BC, and it's already past the "pillars of Heracles". If Phoenicians could make it all the way to where Cadiz is now from their homeland in what is now Lebanon, why not Kushites from the Nile Valley?

I can even see a possible motivation for them going over there. For example, some of the Phoenician settlers on the Spanish coast could have requested Kushite backup against local Iberian tribes. It would explain why Taharqa's movement into the region is described as militaristic in nature.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ I don't think anyone ever said it was impossible but rather that it was implausible due to the fact that the Kushite Empire that annexed Egypt was a fragile state due to not only maintaining domestic control of the Egyptian state but also warding off the foreign threat of Assyria in Asia but also the the Libyans to the west which was still hostile to Kushite rule. In fact it was this Libyan hostility which left them more vulnerable to Assyrian attack. Some military historians think if the Kushites won the allegiance of the the Libyans they would have stood a better chance against the Assyrians, not to mention made it plausible for Taharqa to create a westward Mediterranean route that reached the Maghreb and thus 'Pillars of Herakles'.

BrandonP
Member # 3735
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I don't think anyone ever said it was impossible but rather that it was implausible due to the fact that the Kushite Empire that annexed Egypt was a fragile state due to not only maintaining domestic control of the Egyptian state but also warding off the foreign threat of Assyria in Asia but also the the Libyans to the west which was still hostile to Kushite rule. In fact it was this Libyan hostility which left them more vulnerable to Assyrian attack. Some military historians think if the Kushites won the allegiance of the the Libyans they would have stood a better chance against the Assyrians, not to mention made it plausible for Taharqa to create a westward Mediterranean route that reached the Maghreb and thus 'Pillars of Herakles'.

I still don't see why he couldn't have spared at least a small force to Spain or anywhere else, even if he himself didn't go. Like I said, those legends that Strabo and al-Makhari mentioned have to have come from somewhere.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ Taharqa could not spare any forces due to the Assyrian threat to the east and the hostile Libyans to the west, so I don't think he could afford to send an expedition to the far west. That said, I think it's possible the Greek tale may be based on something such as the theory I've read once that the Taharka spoken of may have been an entirely different African king.

I notice that the Greek legends have personages that share the same names found in historical records but with entirely different characters. For example the tale of the warrior queen Semiramis which is found not only in Greek legend but also in Armenian and Persian legends is different from the known historical record of Shammuramat that some scholars suggests the warrior queen represents a different queen with the same name.

BrandonP
Member # 3735
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Taharqa could not spare any forces due to the Assyrian threat to the east and the hostile Libyans to the west, so I don't think he could afford to send an expedition to the far west. That said, I think it's possible the Greek tale may be based on something such as the theory I've read once that the Taharka spoken of may have been an entirely different African king.

I notice that the Greek legends have personages that share the same names found in historical records but with entirely different characters. For example the tale of the warrior queen Semiramis which is found not only in Greek legend but also in Armenian and Persian legends is different from the known historical record of Shammuramat that some scholars suggests the warrior queen represents a different queen with the same name.

Fair enough. I never considered that the legends might have been based on individuals other than the ones we know from history.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ The same is true in Jewish legends or Mishnah outside of the bible. For example there was another Nimrod who reigned during the time of Abraham who persecuted the latter which was different from the Nimrod son of Kush in Genesis.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com