EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Attire of proto-Egyptians » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Nodnarb
Member # 3735
 - posted
What kind of clothes and accessories do you think the prehistoric ancestors of ancient Egyptians and Nubians (let's say Mesolithic to Neolithic, ending at ~4000 BC) would have worn?

I ask this as an artist who likes to draw those subjects from time to time. Looking at the Wadi Sura paintings that presumably represent their self-depictions, I see a lot of people with white bands around their arms and legs, but barely anything at the waist. Here are examples:
 -
 -

I presume the white bands represent jewelry, like this specimen from the Badarian period circa 4000 BC:
 -

This source mentions that the Badarian-era Egyptians would have possessed both woven (linen) and animal-hide clothing, as well as ceramic lip-studs (or labrets). Another source mentions nose studs and jewelry made from ivory and animal bone, and that Badarian Egyptians had similar attire to Sudanese way down in Khartoum.

Even those these figures supposedly represent Kushites from dynastic times, I think the hide loincloths worn by prehistoric Egyptians might have looked like these:
 -

What are your thoughts?

Nodnarb
Member # 3735
 - posted
BTW here are some of my own depictions of prehistoric Egyptians:
 -
 -
 -
(look to the farthest left)

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com