EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The mystery of the Aswan tombs: TWELVE new burial sites are found » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Doug M
Member # 7650
 - posted
quote:

Swedish archaeologists have unearthed a dozen new burial sites dating back 3,500 years near the southern Egyptian city of Aswan.

The new sites were found at the Gebel el-Silsila, a necropolis that was first discovered in 2015, and are believed to be from the New Kingdom era.

While experts initially believed the tombs may have been the final resting place of high status individuals, their identity remains a mystery.

The burial sites date back almost 3,500 years to the New Kingdom era of ancient Egypt, the Antiquities Ministry has said.

Human and animal remains were found in the cemeteries, which were discovered in the Gebel el-Silsila or Chain of Mountains area 40.3 miles (65 km) north of Aswan.

It is thought the cemeteries would have been used during the reigns of pharaohs Thutmose III and Amenhotep II.

Some of the cemeteries were for animals and contain one or two chambers with either stone or clay coffins, or ones made of cartonnage, Mahmoud Afify, the ministry's head of Ancient Egyptian Antiquities, said in a statement.

Further studies are expected to reveal the social rankings of those buried there and what exactly what purpose the uncovered cemeteries served.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4109174/Swedish-archaeologists-discover-12-ancient-Egyptian-cemeteries-near-Aswan.html

Project page of the research team doing the excavations:

http://gebelelsilsilaepigraphicsurveyproject.blogspot.com/

The team from a recent excavation season:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sws4GUxBLiE/WDgUhjx1Q1I/AAAAAAAAF04/F-aPSZ7XD2YhG6V-u5ecWq65ZCudXxD8gCLcB/s1600/IMG_8285.JPG

Mod Edit:

Just edited image into link form. It was very large and made it hard to read this good thread. Not trying to be picky.
[Smile]

[ 20. June 2017, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: BlessedbyHorus ]

BlessedbyHorus
Member # 22000
 - posted
@Doug M

While I appreciate the new info there is no need to spam the forum.

Doug M
Member # 7650
 - posted
How am I spamming? I am posting actual Egyptology news. These are recent "Egyptology" articles from this year. Otherwise what kind of "Egyptology" threads do you want in the forum? Just endless back and forth over one paper or study?

Just curious.

BlessedbyHorus
Member # 22000
 - posted
You posted four threads in a row. Just saying lets just take it slow and digest them one at a time.

THEN posting another would be a good idea after discussions have taken off in the first one. [Smile]

Doug M
Member # 7650
 - posted
I get your point. But I posted these because it would be nice to actually cover current news from Egypt which ES really was very bad at doing. And I get that it would seem like spamming but it would be nice to start actually talking about more than DNA and the same topics over and over again.

Look at the thread listing in the forum.

BlessedbyHorus
Member # 22000
 - posted
^I actually agree with you.

But anyways as for this topic I find this finding really good because the tombs are this far south near Aswan. Hope more gets revealed.

Doug M
Member # 7650
 - posted
Oddly enough with all the "chaos" in the country there still are quite a few digs going on in the country. There is also news of quite a lot of grave robberies and plundering as well.... Would make for interesting discussion.

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259
 - posted
I've always wondered how many undiscovered sites were lost with the building of the Aswan dam.

BlessedbyHorus
Member # 22000
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Oddly enough with all the "chaos" in the country there still are quite a few digs going on in the country. There is also news of quite a lot of grave robberies and plundering as well.... Would make for interesting discussion.

Yeah I heard about the robberies and plundering. Its VERY depressing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jGSerN_1sM

That crap is just barbaric. I find it ironic that the same people who tell "Afrocentrics" to stay away from their history are neglecting their history.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com