EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Genetic History of African-Descendant Maroon & South American Communities » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Elmaestro
Member # 22566
 - posted
Genome-wide Ancestry and Demographic History of African-Descendant Maroon Communities from French Guiana and Suriname

Cesar Fortes-Lima, Antoine Gessain, Andres Ruiz-Linares, Maria-Cátira Bortolini, Florence Migot-Nabias, Gil Bellis, J. Víctor Moreno-Mayar,

quote:

Abstract
The transatlantic slave trade was the largest forced migration in world history. However, the origins of the enslaved Africans and their admixture dynamics remain unclear. To investigate the demographic history of African-descendant Marron populations, we generated genome-wide data (4.3 million markers) from 107 individuals from three African-descendant populations in South America, as well as 124 individuals from six west African populations. Throughout the Americas, thousands of enslaved Africans managed to escape captivity and establish lasting communities, such as the Noir Marron. We find that this population has the highest proportion of African ancestry (∼98%) of any African-descendant population analyzed to date, presumably because of centuries of genetic isolation. By contrast, African-descendant populations in Brazil and Colombia harbor substantially more European and Native American ancestry as a result of their complex admixture histories. Using ancestry tract-length analysis, we detect different dates for the European admixture events in the African-Colombian (1749 CE; confidence interval [CI]: 1737–1764) and African-Brazilian (1796 CE; CI: 1789–1804) populations in our dataset, consistent with the historically attested earlier influx of Africans into Colombia. Furthermore, we find evidence for sex-specific admixture patterns, resulting from predominantly European paternal gene flow. Finally, we detect strong genetic links between the African-descendant populations and specific source populations in Africa on the basis of haplotype sharing patterns. Although the Noir Marron and African-Colombians show stronger affinities with African populations from the Bight of Benin and the Gold Coast, the African-Brazilian population from Rio de Janeiro has greater genetic affinity with Bantu-speaking populations from the Bight of Biafra and west central Africa.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajhg.2017.09.021

Elite Diasporan
Member # 22000
 - posted
Very interesting. And this is to be expected with long isolations. Surprised they have more African admixture than evem Haitians(if they have Haitians in their data). The African American Gullah ppl are a maroon like ppl and they usually score in the 90s for African admixture.

Elmaestro
Member # 22566
 - posted
Interesting, in general if it wasn't for the caste like system in North america every population in the new world would be relatively mixed besides a select few "isolated" populations. I've seen a few studies on Haitian genetics and though they are more African than black Americans, they don't come near 98% average. I don't recall much pre-revolution Isolation on Santo Domingo, not only that people who descend from Maroons score the highest for African from private DNA companies. Ive seen Jamaicans & Guyanese blacks score ~95% or more and figured it had to be marron ancestry, I don't think I've seen a Haitian score that high, yet.

Elite Diasporan
Member # 22000
 - posted
^^^

Well Haiti has had Maroon societies. Especially in the more mountainous parts. I do remember seeing Haitians scoring higher African admixture than Jamaicans but I forgot which study.

Anyways I remember you posting a vid of this guy scoring extremely high African admixture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8mG5SVDePE&feature=youtu.be

Linda Fahr
Member # 21979
 - posted
NICE TOPIC ELMAESTRO

I like to divide with you what I know about a group of Maroons which escaped from their slave owner plantation in the British Guyana and settled with his people by the margin of Amazon River in Brazil.

A decade ago, watching the Travel Channel documentary from a blonde Australian ex bricklayer guy, that decided to buy an old wood boat and travel around the world with his crew to make documentaries. One of his documentary trip was from a group of Maroons living by the Margin of the Amazon River in Brazil.

The Maroon people arrived in Brazil, by walking thru the Amazon forest, until they found a secure area to settled. They were all pure Africans, women, children, males and elderly. In few decades they built a nice community of their own, with many buildings and houses, including kindergarten and middle schools, where their people learned to write and speak two languages - English and "Nsibidi". Contrary to their Amerindians neighbors which still living in complete analphabetism. However, they live in peace, they were not attacked by mongoloids Amerindians, and did not interbreed among them. They live in a complete separated community, where they main activities are agricultural and trade along the Amazon river. They are free, happy, independent, and healthy community. The Brazilian government did not interfered with them. Now they have thousands and thousands of acres of fertile agricultural land, fauna and flora of their own...

the questioner
Member # 22195
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
Interesting, in general if it wasn't for the caste like system in North america every population in the new world would be relatively mixed besides a select few "isolated" populations. I've seen a few studies on Haitian genetics and though they are more African than black Americans, they don't come near 98% average. I don't recall much pre-revolution Isolation on Santo Domingo, not only that people who descend from Maroons score the highest for African from private DNA companies. Ive seen Jamaicans & Guyanese blacks score ~95% or more and figured it had to be marron ancestry, I don't think I've seen a Haitian score that high, yet.

Haitians continued to import Africans into the island even after the revolution

perhaps this is what blackened the population up even further

Henri Christophe was paranoid of french revenge on the island, so he imported a large amount of Africans from Dahomey called the Royal Dahomet to secure Haitian Independence

Red, White, and Blue + Christian
Member # 10893
 - posted
Thanks or Gracias Elmaestro.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com