EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » "ANA" means Ancient Northeast Asian not "Ancestral North African " » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
"ANA" means Ancient Northeast Asian
according to professional geneticists

You may think it means "Ancestral North African" or "Ancient North African"
I think that comes from a blog but it is not the correct professional scientific description of the term ANA.
I see people using this term in the forum and they probably assume it means "Ancestral North African" and is being used in science articles but I don't think it is. I recommend not doing that because it leads to confusion. It might resemble the
popular three letter abbreviation Isosif Lazaridis uses in his articles such as
European Farmers (EEF)
Ancient North Eurasians (ANE)
European Hunter-Gatherers (WHG)

but (ANA) is not actually used in science articles referring to Africans. It's used for Asians

try finding (ANA) in google scholar a research article and it meaning "Ancestral North African" or "Ancient North African"

https://scholar.google.com

Now look up with quotes and (ANA) outside of the quote like this:

"Ancient North Asian" (ANA)

you will see some articles using (ANA)

Now type:

"Ancient North African" (ANA)

or "Ancestral North African" (ANA)

You will see the phrase but not with (ANA)

-
Figure 2.
An admixture graph model of Paleolithic West Eurasians.

Paleolithic DNA from the Caucasus reveals core of West Eurasian ancestry
Iosif Lazaridis
, 2018

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/423079v1.full

He uses the term "Ancestral North African" near to Mota at the top
but I don't see this in articles as ANA
and "Ancestral North African" is not in the text of the article itself or even "ancestral"
but I did see the abbreviation ANA used for Ancient Northeast Asian in other articles

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
LOL ANA in regards to African and Western Eurasian genetics does mean "Ancestral North African" or "Ancient North African". In Eastern Eurasian genomics ANA means " Ancient Northeast Asian" or "Amur Neolithic Ancestry" which is not to be confused for its ancestral macro-clade Ancient Northern East Asian (ANEA).

Yes it is confusing especially when similar acronyms are used.

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
[QB] LOL ANA in regards to African and Western Eurasian genetics does mean "Ancestral North African" or "Ancient North African".

show us one or more journal articles using there abbreviation ANA
where it means African not Asia

- not a blog

"ANA" as meaning African is not in any of these articles
Stro tricked yall

They don't have DNA in NA older than around 15Kya
Taforalt

So when you look at that Lazraidis chart above that has spelled out "Ancestral North African" (which is not even used in the article text or long supplement)
this does not include genetic data from Jebel Irhoud or the Aterian, which would fit into that term (if they had recovered DNA ) and it is not known how genetically if there is any continuity or overlap with the Iberomaurusian

The lol part is people going around, trying to look smart thinking "ANA" is being used in genetics articles as meaning African when it's not

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ I'm not talking about the original Lazaradis paper but in follow ups and discussions. Ancestral North African just gets abbreviated into ANA for convenience. It's just coincidence that it is the same abbreviation for Ancient Northeast Asian which by the way isn't older than 10,000 years so what's your point? These are the same abbreviations for different names.

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
 -

Try to find and Journal article saying ANA means North African. I'm not against the idea, just saying it's confusing to use it that way since these other three letter abbreviations starting with "Ancient" you can look up in science articles and find usually, consistent descriptions and used in conjunction sometimes with more than one of these 3 letter terms in comparison discussions and testing

Above a wiki page and science articles using the 3 letter abbreviation
There is no analogous page or articles using ANA and meaning African

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ That's because most population genomics papers are Eurasian centered. So when the acronym ANA is used in population archaeogenetics it's likely to refer to Ancient Northeast Asian. There's no monopoly on acronyms especially in science because so many terms and phrases use the same acronyms. This is why in all scientific papers whenever an acronym it's meaning is specified. It's just an acronym so why are you making mountains out of molehills?

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
[QB] ^ That's because most population genomics papers are Eurasian centered.

People are always talking about Lazarids in the forum

He has
"Ancestral North Africans" on his chart

and that comes from

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/423079v1.full

Paleolithic DNA from the Caucasus reveals core of
West Eurasian ancestry

people didn't talk about "ANA" before this article in a which a blogger came up with that based on that tree chart which says "Ancestral African Ancestry" (but not ANA)

The 3 letter acronyms Lazaridis uses in the article are

⬤ (PGNE) Post-glacial Near Easterners and North Africans

⬤ (PPNB) pre-pottery Neolithic farmers
from the Levant

⬤ (EHG) Eastern European hunter-gatherers

⬤ (CHG) Caucasus hunter-gatherers

⬤ (WHG) western European hunter-gatherers

I'm not saying these are the best terms but if you start talking about Lazaridis and use some of these and then throw in ANA you are throwing in one he didn't use

Yet the other terms, other researchers have been using also

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ That's because when that paper was first published, 'Ancestral North African' was a new and recent signal discovered. The other abbreviated phrases were not. Again the point you are trying to make is mute. Ancestral North African can still be shortened to ANA.

BrandonP
Member # 3735
 - posted
Why not use ANEA for Ancient Northeast Asian instead?

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ Because that acronym was already taken by (Asian) ANA's parent clade Ancient Northern East Asian (ANEA).

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
 -

Just to add more confusion

I guess they will have to battle it out

-

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com