EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Benha/Banha (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Benha/Banha
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand from talking to foreign wives and checking out the issue on the internet; a woman is eligible for Egyptian citizenship as soon as she marries an Egyptian, and can apply for it at anytime. The process takes two years from the time of application.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
Tiger, you are from Poland????????

No, but I am your "neighbor". My hometown infact is only a good 30 minutes away by car from the GE-PO border.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JA1023:
Do other countries have to grant you a visa once you get there? or does being arabic take away some of that chance? Doesn't everyone have the right to visit other countries, or is that just an American thing?

JA, you actually have a good head on your shoulders and think indeed quite maturely for your age: I am sure you will be all right. All the advice you are getting here is worth considering, as the decisions you are about to make will really turn your life as you know it completely up side down. As to 'living whenever' - think again. How can you possibly get up and move anywhere in the world from a thirld world country without a solid job and accomodations taken care of in the country you are planning on moving to? Unless you and your future husband are independently wealthy and may stay any place as money is not the issue. What is an issue, however, for an Egyptian citizen is a VISA. That is not given freely to almost any Western country. Think of it - you may be stuck in a small city with nothing to do, no language, no friends, no job, as the move to Cairo requires similar conditions as the move abroad: well paid job and a rent money in your pocket. I don't mean to discourage you, by all means: if you don't follow your heart at 18, you never will! Just consider all the factors, analyze the situation, and all will be good. I cross my fingers for you, wishing the bestest of luck for you and your boyfriend.

Ps. All the ladies 60 and up marrying Egy boys under 21 - I said follow your HEART (the one above the waistline)!

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
No, but I am your "neighbor". My hometown infact is only a good 30 minutes away by car from the GE-PO border.

Close enough, sis!

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JA1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate you saying I am mature, thank you very much. I agree, I do not act like most the people my age, and I have investigated this problem a lot, it is probably all I do all day long. I will take everyone's advice and listen closely but at the same time I will remember where my heart is. Thank you everyone once again!! I'm so happy I found this site, I really would know nothing without it.
Posts: 31 | From: West Chester, Pa, 19380 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medosa
Member # 8196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
Medosa, it seems that you will speak nevertheless so I have a simple question for you.

You explain foreigners are considered "egyptian women" after they get married. You then explain that by "egyptian women" you mean females with egyptian citizenship.

Are you saying a foreigner automatically becomes an egyptian citizen by marriage to an egyptian?

Can you please site a web site to back up this claim?

If it isn't correct, and you think foreign women do not get egyptian citizenship the moment they get married, then what is your point here?

I am not an expert on egyptian law, but it's my understand (from learning what rights foreigners have residing in egypt) that once you marry an egyptian, you can apply for a residency visa. After 2 years of marriage, you can apply for egyptian citizenship. The process takes at least 1 year.

Ok. I will speak, because I cannot turn down a request for help with information if I know it. It would be mean, and I hope I am not.

Although you mis-understand what I said, in answer to your specific question about acquiring the Egyptian citizenship by marriage, (Newcommer is right),the details are as follows:

The moment a woman gets married to an Egyptian man, she becomes entitled to apply for citizenship.

(it used to be applied automatically without even asking, but some women objected, stating that they may not want the citizenship and that in some cases, it caused them problems with their country of birth. So now the woman has to apply).

Once she applies,then every 6 months for the period of 2 years, she has to confirm that she still wishes to aquire the citizenship,a nd that she is still married and is living with her husband. ( a very simple form of declaration).

This requirement serves 2 purposes.

1: To confirm that she still wants it.

2:To prove that the marriage is genuine and still current, to stop sham marriages for the sole purpose of staying (ala USA !!!!).

At the end of this period of 2 years, citizenship is granted, and will now be permenant, even if she gets divorced or widowed.

I hope this is clear and detailed enough.

If I can be of help, please ask.

M.

POST SCRIPT:

To be treated for the purpose of one specific law, exactly the same as an Egyptians woman, does NOT mean that you are given the citizenship, NOR that you become the same!!!
[This message has been edited by Medosa (edited 20 October 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Medosa (edited 21 October 2005).]

Posts: 249 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baby tonna
Member # 9307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for baby tonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi can we talk? what is the truth about egyptain men> do they really want american women only for a green card OR can they really love them?

So many people on here are putting me down for my online relationship with an egyptian man and it is making me sick =(

how did u meet ur man> if u dont mind me asking....I need someone to talk to...to help me

I am supposed to travel to egypt for the first time in less than 6 months and i am so nervous and scared casue i have never been on a big plane OR in another country....I appreciate any friends on this subject...thanks tonna

Posts: 5 | From: W V, USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by baby tonna:
hi can we talk? what is the truth about egyptain men> do they really want american women only for a green card OR can they really love them?

So many people on here are putting me down for my online relationship with an egyptian man and it is making me sick =(

how did u meet ur man> if u dont mind me asking....I need someone to talk to...to help me

I am supposed to travel to egypt for the first time in less than 6 months and i am so nervous and scared casue i have never been on a big plane OR in another country....I appreciate any friends on this subject...thanks tonna

It's both, Tonna. There are good and bad men everywhere. An Egyptian man may only want a visa and may try to scam a foreign woman into getting one. Or an Egyptian man can be true and sincere.

It's very difficult to tell online or by phone. Go to Egypt. Enjoy the beautiful country. Get to know your friend better, live and in person. Just stay smart and keep yourself safe. He should never ask you for money, and he really shouldn't take it if you offer. Just don't rush into anything. I wish you the best.

Snoozin

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JA1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I have realized through dating an egyptian is that they have a lot of pride. My boyfriend would never accept money from me or let me pay for anything. He said he did not want to marry me only because he didnt want me to think he was doing it for his papers. He said we could under our religion, but not under court. If this man asks for money, or anything about you marrying him in the states then he is bad news tonna, if you want to know anything else about egyptians and how they act you can ask me because i have basically lived with them for the past three years and I have realized they are a lot different than we are. If you are not willing to change your life for this man, then dont do it. ONe more thing, are you muslim?
Posts: 31 | From: West Chester, Pa, 19380 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sofia
Member # 5629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JA,
I actually visited Benha when I was in Egypt in August (2005). It is very rural, I remember lots of dirt roads to get to Ahmed's sister n law's family home. We all walked to a friend of the family's home down a dirt road and their home was very nice also. I was also in Sinbelawain which was much poorer, so Benha has homes that are not so close to eachother so it is spacious. I guees alot like a farm town. You can alwawys go to Cairo by taxi..it's not really far...probably about 1 to 1.5 hour drive so you're not "stuck" there forever... you can travel to Mansoura also which is a smaller scale Cairo. Yes, most all women had their hair covered. Amir who was little sister to Sara actually wore very modern clothing inside the home. Once you meet friends (other muslim girls) you may be fine.

One of my fondest memories was when we were at Sara's home and they told me to go into the bedroom, including Sara's mom and my mopm, so all 8 of us girls went into the bedroom and they all took off their head dress and wrapped it on their hips, they were flipping their hair around and the music was turned up and we were all dancing. That is when I thought.. "oh yea, these girls let their hair down and get wild, they just don't do it around the men". As soon as the men starting knocking on the door, they all screamed like laughing and put the head dress back on. It was so cute! Sara who is married to Mohammed (Ahmed's brother) was giddyish and they are married.

I have never seen a modern washing machine in entire Egypt. Even though Sara's home was more modern, it still had plumbing problems and an old washing machine, but I guess you're considered high class if you even have a washing machine in your home. Another thing, I have yet to experience good plumbing in Egypt, no matter where we went the plumbing was bad. I remember staying at Le Meridian and the bath water was gray/brown.. must just be Egypt.

But Benha is definitely rural and you'll see lots of donkeys pulling a flatbed and either carrying big leaves (never found out what they were), families or children. It's definitely different from the big city life of Cairo. But remember, you can ALWAYS go to Cairo by taxi if you want some big city life.
Take Care, Sofia

Posts: 48 | From: California, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah yes... taking your veil - a religious symbol of piety - and tying it around your hips while you dance provocatively. as long as it's not done in front of men, it's alright.

didn't you think it was a bit weird? this isn't putting your hair down, this is wearing the veil because of social pressure rather than religious convictions.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
ah yes... taking your veil - a religious symbol of piety - and tying it around your hips while you dance provocatively. as long as it's not done in front of men, it's alright.

didn't you think it was a bit weird? this isn't putting your hair down, this is wearing the veil because of social pressure rather than religious convictions.

Weird??? I think is awsome! Veil is to protect woman's chastity/dignity from men's 'wondering eyes'. What is wrong with being happy and dancing only in female circle? Piety does not mean sitting for one's entire life like a kees gawafa, pondering upon chaste issues of this world!

However, you do have a point: in modern times wearing veil is more a result of social pressures than sincere religious convictions. Quite sad.

Ps. Modern washing machine a sign of a high class in Egypt??? Really? I lived in the apartment (rented in Alex) with a quite modern washing machine, and my Mom-in-law has one with the dryer! Also, the color of tiles in her bathroom gave me an artfully orgasmic experience: dark wine with matching accesories. Loved it! Egypt is NOT as backwards as some people think. There is gazillions of people not having any washing machines in their houses in the US.

Sofia
Member # 5629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't'get me wrong I absolutely looooooooooove Egypt too and miss it so much!! It was the experience of a lifetime and I really miss so many things about it and wish to go back soon. It was truley a very safe and beautiful place.

I was so fortunate to see how the high class lived and the poor. And I am not ashamed to say so. It seems that every one has a "thing" about the higher class or the rich families..but in my opinion, I found the less economically advantaged more humble and much more kind that the family that "had money". That's my opinion only so NO NEED TO ATTACK MY OPINION!

I think it's nice that your mother n law had a washer and dryer .. not everyone has one. I think alot of people on this site visited and lived in Alex, Cairo, Sharm, etc...... There is alot more to Egypt than those tourist spots and I feel very fortunate to have seen "Egypt" and lived like an egyptian rather than a tourist in the commercialized tourist spots.

You are right, it is not as backwards as some people think..I was pretty shocked at times, but then again....it was so very behind the times in alot of ways, but that is what makes it so intriguing and beautiful. My thoughts are "one has to truley apprecite the beauty of a third world country to love Egypt."

Posts: 48 | From: California, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq2005
Member # 7790

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sofia:
Don't'get me wrong I absolutely looooooooooove Egypt too and miss it so much!! It was the experience of a lifetime and I really miss so many things about it and wish to go back soon. It was truley a very safe and beautiful place.

I was so fortunate to see how the high class lived and the poor. And I am not ashamed to say so. It seems that every one has a "thing" about the higher class or the rich families..but in my opinion, I found the less economically advantaged more humble and much more kind that the family that "had money". That's my opinion only so NO NEED TO ATTACK MY OPINION!

I think it's nice that your mother n law had a washer and dryer .. not everyone has one. I think alot of people on this site visited and lived in Alex, Cairo, Sharm, etc...... There is alot more to Egypt than those tourist spots and I feel very fortunate to have seen "Egypt" and lived like an egyptian rather than a tourist in the commercialized tourist spots.

You are right, it is not as backwards as some people think..I was pretty shocked at times, but then again....it was so very behind the times in alot of ways, but that is what makes it so intriguing and beautiful. My thoughts are "one has to truley apprecite the beauty of a third world country to love Egypt."

You're very sweet Sofia.

Posts: 183 | From: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:

My all means I am not attacking your post, it is how I always talk... You seem genuinly loving Egypt just like the rest of us here. Welcome, sincerely. You are absolutely right: Egypt is ALL... and that's why we love so much.

Sofia
Member # 5629

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you........
JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
quote:
Hi JA,
I actually visited Benha when I was in Egypt in August (2005). It is very rural, I remember lots of dirt roads to get to Ahmed's sister n law's family home. We all walked to a friend of the family's home down a dirt road and their home was very nice also. I was also in Sinbelawain which was much poorer, so Benha has homes that are not so close to eachother so it is spacious. I guees alot like a farm town. You can alwawys go to Cairo by taxi..it's not really far...probably about 1 to 1.5 hour drive so you're not "stuck" there forever... you can travel to Mansoura also which is a smaller scale Cairo. Yes, most all women had their hair covered. Amir who was little sister to Sara actually wore very modern clothing inside the home. Once you meet friends (other muslim girls) you may be fine.

One of my fondest memories was when we were at Sara's home and they told me to go into the bedroom, including Sara's mom and my mopm, so all 8 of us girls went into the bedroom and they all took off their head dress and wrapped it on their hips, they were flipping their hair around and the music was turned up and we were all dancing. That is when I thought.. "oh yea, these girls let their hair down and get wild, they just don't do it around the men". As soon as the men starting knocking on the door, they all screamed like laughing and put the head dress back on. It was so cute! Sara who is married to Mohammed (Ahmed's brother) was giddyish and they are married.

I have never seen a modern washing machine in entire Egypt. Even though Sara's home was more modern, it still had plumbing problems and an old washing machine, but I guess you're considered high class if you even have a washing machine in your home. Another thing, I have yet to experience good plumbing in Egypt, no matter where we went the plumbing was bad. I remember staying at Le Meridian and the bath water was gray/brown.. must just be Egypt.

But Benha is definitely rural and you'll see lots of donkeys pulling a flatbed and either carrying big leaves (never found out what they were), families or children. It's definitely different from the big city life of Cairo. But remember, you can ALWAYS go to Cairo by taxi if you want some big city life.
Take Care, Sofia

That is so funny because my boyfriends name is Mohamed and his brother is Ahmed and they live in Banha. There are a lot of the same names though. I appreciate all of this information, thank you! I want to know, do they sell alcohol there? Or is it a completely dry country?

JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
Banha does not seem that bad, I am excited for a different lifestyle. I am just hoping time does not split me and my boyfriend apart, I believe our love is strong enough to last the 7 months we will have to wait. One more question, on the internet it said my passport has to be valid for 6 months before I can travel, is this correct?
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes on the passport. egypt produces beer and wine locally (al-ahram beverages) which is sold in specialty stores only. hard liquor is sold only via hotels and restaurants with the license.

i don't think you'll find any in a very small town and if you do, you probably will not want to buy it (as you will be gossiped about). best to stock up in cairo. there they're sold in the "drinkies" stores.

sorry - you can also bring alcohol into the country and also buy 4 liters of alcohol in egypt's duty-free shop (cheaper prices than US/EU but selection has the bigger brands as opposed to wide variety). You need to do so within 24 hrs of entering the country so best to do that after you land. what you do buy does get marked into your passport next to your entry stamp (there's some kind of a quota for the year, it seems)

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 25 October 2005).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Banha does not seem that bad, I am excited for a different lifestyle. I am just hoping time does not split me and my boyfriend apart, I believe our love is strong enough to last the 7 months we will have to wait. One more question, on the internet it said my passport has to be valid for 6 months before I can travel, is this correct?

Do you mean American passport? I got mine and traveled within a week from receiving it. It is good to go and you free to travel as soon as you get it in your hands.

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey an interesting side point to this curious conversation: Someone mentioned something about leaving Egypt with children. In an effort to prohibit kidnappings, many countries now require written permission for children to travel - from the parent that is not present. Some people who have not bothered, for various reasons, to obtain "sole custody" of their child or children have been put in a difficult situation by this requirement. I'm only aware of anecdotal references to it, but travel agents are super alert to the problem and even prepare documents for single parents to have signed by the other parent and then have notarized. I think that is very interesting, because you can imagine what a disgruntled ex can do with that power. However, we have probably all heard horror stories of a mom or dad stealing children away to another country. A friend of mine got turned around at the airport in Mexico with his son, because he didn't have written permission from the boy's mother.

Also, I really hesitate to say this (which probably means I shouldn't) but a muslim man who is having pre-marital sex with a young lady who likes to drink alcohol? huh?

I love rural, but haven't tried Banha yet. I have friends there and will go...with the request that my flat is cabled for internet access, which is part of how I work. Entertainment is so individual. I am cooking fanatic and probably be happy to lock myself in a flat for a few months, as Julia Child did in France, and experiment with the local ingredients. Having friends and family to "taste test" it all makes it even more fun. I wish I could bring my own knives.
So there is always more for the mind and soul and body to discover. I challenge Banha to bore me HAHAHA (kind of kidding.) I have never been bored in my life yet.
Here's a funny one: I'm into sport-fishing which is way unusual for a lady in hijab, but I am so eager to try some casts from Alex. Or West of Alex a little. Wire leaders? Can you catch anything in the Nile without going to Lake Nasser for the perch?
One who wants to live in the foreign land without the language must ask themselves how necessary "chit-chat" is to their day. What role do friends and the conversations shared with them play in the emotional support of that individual's life? It is good to consider, not as a reason to avoid travel - which is so awesome to do before you get THE JOB THE KIDS THE HOUSE THE CARS AND BOAT ARGHHH (ha) - but it is good to think about because you can plan how you will get your stuff off your chest when surrounded by those who don't relate. What do you do when you have talked and talked and talked your husband's ear off and you need a friend?

Sorry, really, for the long post.

I wish the young lady the best and also the best to her male friend who is in a difficult position.

salam

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:
Hey an interesting side point to this curious conversation: Someone mentioned something about leaving Egypt with children. In an effort to prohibit kidnappings, many countries now require written permission for children to travel - from the parent that is not present. Some people who have not bothered, for various reasons, to obtain "sole custody" of their child or children have been put in a difficult situation by this requirement. I'm only aware of anecdotal references to it, but travel agents are super alert to the problem and even prepare documents for single parents to have signed by the other parent and then have notarized. I think that is very interesting, because you can imagine what a disgruntled ex can do with that power. However, we have probably all heard horror stories of a mom or dad stealing children away to another country. A friend of mine got turned around at the airport in Mexico with his son, because he didn't have written permission from the boy's mother.

Also, I really hesitate to say this (which probably means I shouldn't) but a muslim man who is having pre-marital sex with a young lady who likes to drink alcohol? huh?

I love rural, but haven't tried Banha yet. I have friends there and will go...with the request that my flat is cabled for internet access, which is part of how I work. Entertainment is so individual. I am cooking fanatic and probably be happy to lock myself in a flat for a few months, as Julia Child did in France, and experiment with the local ingredients. Having friends and family to "taste test" it all makes it even more fun. I wish I could bring my own knives.
So there is always more for the mind and soul and body to discover. I challenge Banha to bore me HAHAHA (kind of kidding.) I have never been bored in my life yet.
Here's a funny one: I'm into sport-fishing which is way unusual for a lady in hijab, but I am so eager to try some casts from Alex. Or West of Alex a little. Wire leaders? Can you catch anything in the Nile without going to Lake Nasser for the perch?
One who wants to live in the foreign land without the language must ask themselves how necessary "chit-chat" is to their day. What role do friends and the conversations shared with them play in the emotional support of that individual's life? It is good to consider, not as a reason to avoid travel - which is so awesome to do before you get THE JOB THE KIDS THE HOUSE THE CARS AND BOAT ARGHHH (ha) - but it is good to think about because you can plan how you will get your stuff off your chest when surrounded by those who don't relate. What do you do when you have talked and talked and talked your husband's ear off and you need a friend?

Sorry, really, for the long post.

I wish the young lady the best and also the best to her male friend who is in a difficult position.

salam

I never said I drank, I asked if there was alcohol in the country. This question was for my parents incase they came to visit me. Also I never said I was having sex with this man, but regardless if I am or am not it is not your business and your quick assuming and your opinion was unnecessary, thanks anyways.

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hahaha...salam salam! okay calm down. If you think its not my business about why you ask about the "wine" or whether or not you have had "relations" with your guy, just remember, over there, especially in places like Banha, its EVERYONES BUSINESS, believe me. you can see that when you get there. landladies, cab drivers, neighbors, friends, relatives, shopkeepers, weeeeee!
Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:
hahaha...salam salam! okay calm down. If you think its not my business about why you ask about the "wine" or whether or not you have had "relations" with your guy, just remember, over there, especially in places like Banha, its EVERYONES BUSINESS, believe me. you can see that when you get there. landladies, cab drivers, neighbors, friends, relatives, shopkeepers, weeeeee!

Right. So she's posting under an anonymous nickname on a public forum asking this instead of asking her new neighbors, shopkeepers, relatives, etc.

I know we're all trying to help because innocent question are often loaded with potential social faux-pas (especially when you're completely unaware of the type of small town atmosphere you're going into) but this young girl got so much good advice already and she's not listening to most of it.

So let's not waste our pecking time at the keyboard and just answer her practical questions.

Probably we'll be able to help more with cultural faux-pas once she's there.

Oh and by the way - you can connect to the internet via phone for free in Egypt (meaning you don't need a subscription, just a phone line and it'll cost the same as a local call). So if you have a laptop you can stay in touch with your parents easily even in a small village without going to internet cafes.

JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
I already understand all of this, and I don't need you to think I am oblivious to what life is like in Banha, and that I do not know what I am doing because I am 18. These are stereotypes that I am hating right now. It offended me that you would make such a comment about what kind of girl my boyfriend is dating, because nothing about what you said was true and you made me come off as a trashy girl which I am not at all. Please be careful of what you say, because it seems you are fast at assuming. One more thing, I have taken most of the advice given to me on this site that I think is helpful. For example I will not be going to Egypt until I have completed high school in June. I am also very thankful for all the advice given to me, and I have said so several times. For your comment, Queen Bee, I'm sorry but I fail to find the importance of you saying that, and I'm not going to say sorry for being rude because I feel it was necessary.
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Two things, JA. Many of us felt we knew what we were doing at 18. Many of us made major life changing decision at that time including chosing colleges, chosing a major, chosing where to live, moving away from home, etc. Many of us also look back at this time, roll our eyes, and think...god, I was an idiot back then (compared to *insert whatever age you just happen to be now whether that's 24, 34 or 64)

Also. Many people living less than 1 hr from Benha who have lived 1 hr from Benha all of their lives and speak the language of that country -- wouldn't necessarily know what to expect.

So forgive posters who think that an 18 year old girl who's still in high school and who has never been to Egypt -- might, just might -- not know what she's getting into.

It has nothing to do with how mature you are for your age or how intelligent you are.

JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
Thank you, I appreciate your concern. I would also like for you to see where I am coming from. I love this man so much, he means everything to me. I would like to see if we are meant to be together. After I am done my school I plan to visit him for atleast 3 months, and if I enjoy my stay and still have the same feelings for him then I will think further about living there. No one can understand how I feel about him, and regardless if I change my mind about all of this in a couple years, I don't want to sit here and never find out. Also it has always been a dream of mine to move to a different country and speak another language. Would there be a possibility for us to move to Greece since it is so close, or would it be hard for him because he is Arabic?
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thank you, I appreciate your concern. I would also like for you to see where I am coming from. I love this man so much, he means everything to me. I would like to see if we are meant to be together. After I am done my school I plan to visit him for atleast 3 months, and if I enjoy my stay and still have the same feelings for him then I will think further about living there. No one can understand how I feel about him, and regardless if I change my mind about all of this in a couple years, I don't want to sit here and never find out. Also it has always been a dream of mine to move to a different country and speak another language. Would there be a possibility for us to move to Greece since it is so close, or would it be hard for him because he is Arabic?

Dear Ja,
Go to Egypt for 3 months and see what it is all about.
I think you are still very young and blue eyed.
To move to any foreign country will always be difficult and it costs very much so your dreams to move to some other country than Egyptare quite unrealistic if you don't have a job that would take you somwhere else.
How did you think it would work for you two to move to some other country how didi you plan it would go(I am just curious)
For an Egyptian to move to an European country just like that is impossible.
It is hard for an Egyptian even to visit an European country, it needs a lot of paper work and money.
So keep on studying and learining more about life.
Go to Egypt for 3 months and you will learn a lot it might change you as a person also.
Keep us on ES posted how it works out for you. Good luck with everything and take it slowely.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As an Egyptian he requires an entry visa for Greece, for that he needs to submit a number of supporting documents including proof that he has no criminal record/convictions. If he wants to work there he requires a separate visa for that as well (an entry visa does not give you the right to work in a EU country).

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JA, I know exactly how you feel about this man. Believe me, I also felt the same way about my first love. We lived together in three different countries. At this time I was willing to do anything that this relationship would succeed. Yes, you make things right, you make things wrong but we are all learning throughout our lives. I think you really have to go and see for yourself where he's coming from, how life is there. And most importantly to imagine if you can live in this environment, if your love to him is strong enough to survive. As I said before take the summer vacation as the opportunity to visit him in Egypt. Most importantly is that you feel good about yourself, that you are comfortable with the situation, that you are safe and if things don't work out you always have the chance to realize that and go back to your country. This trip will definitely change your life, it will let you mature. You are still so young, many things will happen to you throughout life and please, don't forget your education. Good luck with your plans and yes, keep us posted if you are moving to Egypt, when and what kind of experiences you have during your stay. And if you have more questions or need information please feel free to post on ES.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JA, the most important thing is that you live independently while you are in Egypt. You must be able to support yourself. You can't live with him till you are married, and it's not a good idea to get married so young, so you'll have to get a job. If it's just a 3-month visit then no problem but if you're going to stay you don't want to be dependent on your boyfriend or anyone else.
How does he plan to support himself? Has he got a job lined up? What does he say about your plans? You never mention what he thinks.

By the way, a university degree is a must for any kind of job here, so think about that too. Probably the only kind of job you'd find easily in Banha would be a teaching job.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
Thank you, I will definetly keep you posted when I go to Egypt. Like someone suggested in the beginning, I will look to be a nanny for an american family. Any recommendations for this would also be great. Approximetly how much money should I bring with me, and what else should I bring with me for the three months I will be there. Whenever I ask my boyfriend any of these questions he always tells me don't bring any money because food will always be supplied and my brother and I will pay for everything. He also tells me that we can live with eachother without being married. I know this is untrue. He wants to start a business up that me and him will run. He can't do that much research on it because he is in jail but he tells me all of his hopes and dreams and that is for us to be married and make a family one day. He thinks I should get my education first though.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thank you, I will definetly keep you posted when I go to Egypt. Like someone suggested in the beginning, I will look to be a nanny for an american family. Any recommendations for this would also be great. Approximetly how much money should I bring with me, and what else should I bring with me for the three months I will be there. Whenever I ask my boyfriend any of these questions he always tells me don't bring any money because food will always be supplied and my brother and I will pay for everything. He also tells me that we can live with eachother without being married. I know this is untrue. He wants to start a business up that me and him will run. He can't do that much research on it because he is in jail but he tells me all of his hopes and dreams and that is for us to be married and make a family one day. He thinks I should get my education first though.

Definitely take money, but he's right, he and his family will probably be paying for everything. But I personally couldn't go anywhere with out my own little emergency fund. Also, I had no problem withdrawing money from my US checking account using my ATM card over there.

You could also look at going to AUC for college if you want. Kill two birds with one stone -- get your degree and keep seeing your boyfriend in Egypt.

Good luck....

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JA1023
Member # 9187

Rate Member
Thank you, but how much money approximetly would be good for 3 months because I want to start saving now, I have about $700.
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Thank you, but how much money approximetly would be good for 3 months because I want to start saving now, I have about $700.

Somebody who's lived there for any length of time is going to have to answer this for you. I've only visited. Are you paying for an apartment or anything like that?

In general everyday things were really cheap, like 1/6 the price. If it's $5 here it's 5LE there. A $20 cab ride here seemed to be 15LE there. And 15LE is like $3 to us.

$700 might be enough. I personally would feel better with $500 a month. But I took $600 with me for my trip, bought everything in sight, including gold jewelry, expensive touristy souvenirs and books (which were expensive), and only spent $200 total. I *never* come home with extra cash from vacations.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Allow your parents to give you an emergency credit card, onto which you can charge an airline ticket to anytime you want.

Not that you will need it, but it will give you a sense of security and freedom. You will have a lot of things you now don't even think about taken away from you. Gossip and pretenses will rule your life in a way you will come to loathe in a small town and things you never thought twice about will become major cultural issues.

Having a little plastic thingie in your wallet that acts the same as a pair of red magic slippers will help you deal with the little idiotic things that get thrown at you everyday.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com