EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » is it really true?? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: is it really true??
saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for saeeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dears,

Please give me your opinion/advice.

My habibi got this new job for miserable 150 EGP a MONTH !!!! For this wage (which you'll get for 2-3 hours working in Germany) he has to work 6 days a week, 8 hours a day.

I was shocked about this exploitation and told him not to do it, but he told me it's the normal wage for a student's job and he can't get anything better.

Please tell me it's not true!!! In which field can a student get a better-payed job??? My hobby is almost perfect in english and is a true natural genius in almost everything he does. He turns into gold everything he touches!!! The only thing he lacks is the university degree.

Posts: 271 | From: germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is true.

I have heard of a teacher whose starting salary would not cover the costs of the service car she would have to use to get there and back from her house.

This is the world outside tourism, where salaries barely cover food costs never mind luxories like pens, school uniform, meat, electricity. Whole families have to live on the wage of 150LE.

Getting a job is not about merit in Egypt it is about influence and power. And that is true no matter your level of education. the best jobs in any field waiter to doctor go to those who have 'contacts'.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and, Saeeda, I know lawyers getting a 200 Pounds per month, after 15 Years work...

And I kow lawyers working as a waiter in restaurants to get Tips and can make a living...and I know Ingenieurs working on a hoteltelefoncentral,and, and, and...

Better : Take him to germany. Thats's what I am still preparing for my family and me...

Sara

Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, all of the above is right. No amount of education, intelligence and honesty can secure a job in Egypt. It is all about family contacts and shady ways of getting 'into the system'. And even then the salary barely covers the basics. If you can bring your man to your country, give it a try; it does not seem like he will be ever able to support you in his. I sincerely wish you good luck in whatever decision you make.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saeeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

how can anybody in Egypt survive from this money???? When I am in Egypt I spend 150 Punds in two DAYS... how, tell me how??? do they never go out?? do they never buy fancy clothes?? do they never get sick???

Sara and Kara Mia, now I understand why the lawyer who did the ORFI-paper for us was almost dancing out of happiness (he made a good deal receiving 200 pounds from us)

but...i'm afraid taking him to Germany is not a solution, as he will only get shitty jobs here aswell!! o.k. they will be a little bit better payed but life here is much more expansive so at the end...it will come down almost to the same

Posts: 271 | From: germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saeeda:

how can anybody in Egypt survive from this money???? When I am in Egypt I spend 150 Punds in two DAYS... how, tell me how??? do they never go out?? do they never buy fancy clothes?? do they never get sick???

Sara and Kara Mia, now I understand why the lawyer who did the ORFI-paper for us was almost dancing out of happiness (he made a good deal receiving 200 pounds from us)

but...i'm afraid taking him to Germany is not a solution, as he will only get shitty jobs here aswell!! o.k. they will be a little bit better payed but life here is much more expansive so at the end...it will come down almost to the same

Saeeda, i don't know where you stayed in Egypt, but in most places when you look around you will see completely heartbreaking examples of HOW people survive with little or no money at all...
It is a serious issue that needs to be carefully thought of and addressed before getting into a relationship with a person from a third world country. The emigration issues are more and more complicated, and staying in the country that our spouse can not support us in does not seem like an option either. I wish I could say that love conquers all, but unfortunately bills will not be paid with sheer love and affection. I know, sucks....

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dears,

Please give me your opinion/advice.

My habibi got this new job for miserable 150 EGP a MONTH !!!! For this wage (which you'll get for 2-3 hours working in Germany) he has to work 6 days a week, 8 hours a day.

I was shocked about this exploitation and told him not to do it, but he told me it's the normal wage for a student's job and he can't get anything better.

Please tell me it's not true!!! In which field can a student get a better-payed job??? My hobby is almost perfect in english and is a true natural genius in almost everything he does. He turns into gold everything he touches!!! The only thing he lacks is the university degree.

Welcome to Egypt, Saeeda!

My former boyfriend made about 600 EP a month working fulltime and as you can imagine he was very frustrated of not being able to offer me enough. I made 4, 5 times more money than him by working as a babysitter and giving German lessons.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

no they never go out

no they don't buy fancy clothes

yes they get sick but if they can't afford the dr or the medicines he prescribes they suffer

This is the reality of Egypt and why those guys hassling tourists are soooooo desperate and pushy. In my husbands family 2 of his siblings died at the time of Hatshepsut when there were no tourists and no money. Thye died because they were sick and there was no money for the DR and they were living on tea and bread so no nourishing food. they would have given their right arm for 150LE. If you get involved with an Egyptian from a disadvantaged background(most of them) you should be aware of these facts.

As the other girls have mentioned the possibility of him providing for you is minimal. If you are lucky and have capital you can set yourselves up in a business like my husband and I have. This then means you have a living that will provide you the standard you expect, a big one for me is A/C and of course the Internet. But expect your business to provide for a lot of people. Ours provides for 14 direct family members and gives work to drivers/cleaners/ captains/donkey men etc and their extended family members. Some of these are relatives as well.

It has totally changed my attitude to the money I have and how I should spread it to others. It is a joy to me that when my sister in law had her recent baby she was able to do it under medical supervision.

I find it really hard to spend money like I used to and the same has happened to my daughter. so much of what we brought out here has been given away. Recently I saw my niece wearing an old dress of my daughters which I have seen on two other little girls before in the 4 years it has been in Egypt.

Out of my husbands family only one girl, the youngest was able to complete her education. The cost of food, uniform, books etc being beyond their means for the others. Never mind the necessity of the boys going out and earning a living.

I am sure your hubby could tell you as many stories, perhaps he already did and you could believe it because it is so outside your orbit it is unbelievable. The two years i have been living here have made me understanding so much of what my husband tried to explian and i couldn't understand until I moved here.

That they still laugh and joke and take joy in lives is the essential element of Egyptian. I love them. admire them and am proud to have helped them

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragab Ibrahim
Member # 6222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragab Ibrahim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my brother was in Athens for a year and half,he was working for 1000 euros a month..he decided to go back to egypt,because his wife was expecting a baby..he spent every sent he had,and now he is totally.. broke.he is working for 300 pounds a month and dying slowly for that money..and bye the way saeeda..150 pounds you spend in 2 days are about 15 euros..that money is not enough for a good meal in restaurat through the whole europe,or to fill up your car for a 200 klm..what are you waiting for? save him from that hill out there
Posts: 59 | From: Athens,Greece | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ragab Ibrahim:
my brother was in Athens for a year and half,he was working for 1000 euros a month..he decided to go back to egypt,because his wife was expecting a baby..he spent every sent he had,and now he is totally.. broke.he is working for 300 pounds a month and dying slowly for that money..and bye the way saeeda..150 pounds you spend in 2 days are about 15 euros..that money is not enough for a good meal in restaurat through the whole europe,or to fill up your car for a 200 klm..what are you waiting for? save him from that hill out there

Ragab is right... even the most challenging living conditions in Germany do not compare to the hopelessness of life in Egypt. By all means I do not mean to put this beautiful country down; I just understand the frustration Egyptians are facing in their daily struggle. I come from Poland and remember the state of civil war (80-ties) when sugar, meat and other necessities (even shoes...) were distributed through coupons given to the people every month. Even now, however Poland joined the EU, finding jobs there is almost impossible, and the lowest requirements for anything above construction work include at least one masters degree and two foreign languages..
Ashkar is right about investing some money and starting a business together: it is HARD work but worth trying IF you have any money to invest...
If you love the guy, taking him to live with you seems like the best idea, even if you have your reservations. It is just my humble opinion, however, and the answer to your dilemma lays in your heart and there only.

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saeeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akshar,

thanks for your detailed answer...
yes indeed my love keeps telling me that I don't understand the situation in Egypt, and that's why I remain optimistic

Your description sounds desperate and incredible for a european who is used to complaints of totally another kind!!

Setting up a small business might be possible in our case, but I prefer to do anything else but work in business! I just hope that my hobby will accept that I earn a lot more than him... and carry home the income. For me no problem, but for him???! Am not sure...

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Ragab and Karah Mia,

I understand your points but my love told me himself that he doesn't want to leave Egypt...he loves his country...his culture, his people, his family, friends... and I really believe him and I honestly cannot imagine how he could ever be happy in, let's say Germany!

Ok a certain financial level is necessary to be happy, of course...but, money and a secure life alone will not make you happy!! Because of that, we decided to try to build a life in Egypt...even if it won't be a rich one...but if it's enough to live from, it's ok!!

The problem that I see now, is that it might not be enough to earn a living... is it really true that the business sector is the only one where to earn more money, if you are an Egyptian with no connections to above??

Ragab Ibrahim
Member # 6222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragab Ibrahim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
! I just hope that my hobby will accept that I earn a lot more than him... and carry home the income. For me no problem, but for him???! Am not sure... [/B][/QUOTE]

if he is that type of a man i expect,he will refuse your offer

Posts: 59 | From: Athens,Greece | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Saeeda,
don't forget ,that you aren't even injured in egypt!
And that you shouldn't get kids, because they cost the most?
And that you cannot save one piaster for the future...?
And that the egyptian Pound lost power every now and then, but the income doesn't raise...
How long you wasn't in egypt...? Let your husband go to the supermarket and compare some prices there with the german 'Aldi'...you will find not much differend...
Your husband MUST know and understand and better work in germany a 'lower' job to save your marrige...because if you are not satisfied (and that's impossible with that money) he won't be either.
...I speak from experience...

Wish you the very best...and let your husband read this/your topic

sara

Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ragab Ibrahim:
!
if he is that type of a man i expect,he will refuse your offer

Exactly most Egyptian men are too proud to accept their wife as being the breadwinner, he expects to provide for you, it is his culture and he will not see himself as a man if he does not. This is where real life kicks in Saeeda and you have to ask yourself if you are going to be happy living a life and raising children with this level of lifestyle. There are no easy answers, as you say he is unlikely to be happy in your country...does he have the language anyway? and can you be happy in his, living on a pittance.

The words ...love is not enough...are so true.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RetirementBitches
Member # 6332

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RetirementBitches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dears,

here's an idea...why not sell the gold

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Ok Sara,

but you are living in Egypt right??!!
And you are managing somehow right!!
And you have kids and an apartment and even rabbits who eat a lot and get sick

All of you are telling me: take him to Germany. But all of you are in Egypt and manage somehow!!! So why can you manage and I can't?? And HOW do you manage???

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
Ragab and Karah Mia,

The problem that I see now, is that it might not be enough to earn a living... is it really true that the business sector is the only one where to earn more money, if you are an Egyptian with no connections to above??

Unfortunately, yes.. Have you thought of temporarily moving to Germany, earning and saving as much money as both of you can and THEN moving back to Egypt? It seems like a compromise for both of you, and life would be much easier if you could at least buy a flat or even two (to make money of the extra rent) and earn enough just for living expenses (rent is a huge chunk to pay in every country I think...). I admire your willingness to live with very little, but you have to realize that poverty has the devastating power over love in way too many cases....

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Dear Penny,

I agree that love is not enough, yes of course... on the other hand, money and prosperity is not enough either!

I love my baby and am not gonna leave him for anything...so we HAVE to find a way to live together!

The question is: How? I don't need to be rich, but I don't wanna be REALLY poor, I want my kids to have a good life or I will not want to have any kids. This is the problem. So we need a certain income, surely a whole lot more than 500 Pounds.
We need mney to travel also, to visit my family from time to time. I can't live without that, I love my family.

My love doesn't speak german, no. He speaks english. I think I can be really happy in Egypt, provided that I find a good job which will give us enough income to have a good life. That means for me: going out from time to time, having a good apartment with AC and heating, being able to provide the best education for the kids. And buying some nice clothes from time to time. That's about it. How much do I need for that?? As much as in Germany?

Ragab Ibrahim
Member # 6222

Rate Member
dear lady..you can't feed yourself and your man with love,and the less you get ,the less you give..and don't forget..if you're poor,love leave from the window.

germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok Sara,

but you are living in Egypt right??!!
And you are managing somehow right!!
And you have kids and an apartment and even rabbits who eat a lot and get sick

All of you are telling me: take him to Germany. But all of you are in Egypt and manage somehow!!! So why can you manage and I can't?? And HOW do you manage???

--------------------------------------------
Dear Saeeda,
my husband was a policeofficer and lawyer, he let his job, because of the low sallary in the past, it was about 450 Pounds. He couldn't get well as a lawyer, netherless because they have to lie a lot and he couldn't...
Now, the only solution was a workshop, he can fix and repair everything, learned from his Ingenieurfather everything...except the Unidegree
Since all that time he earned only sometimes 100 per month, sometimes 700 per month. Now we got better, earn about 1500 per month.
But even that money isn't enough for 5 people, Saeeda, especially children cannot wait their food and milk or medication, educationpayment is just worse...

You want know how I manage?
I cannot.......my mom and dad or doing. Since many years, every month...
But, of course, this will not stay forever and I am fearing the future.
And my husbands soul isn't well, he's often depressed, because he cannot make it jet, is working from the morning till mostly one o'clock at night
We haven't injurences, no possibility to build a future for our kids.
You have to choose your steps very careful, the life in egypt got very expensive, even the medicine. You can find a doctor for 5 Pounds, but the treatment stays very expensive...especially for kids. Mostly I don't go to the doc and ask in the Pharmacie for an 'easy' treatment. Imagen, one bottle of Antibiotic for kids costs already 30 Pounds...
In our bathroom are tubes broken, the water is running in the housestairs, our walls are wet, the colour isn't anymore. It needs to remove the ceramic, will cost about threethousend Pounds, the bath has a hole also....So, you will maybe once a day face problems like this also; nobody can solve it without money. Or if you get a 'wrong' electricitybill of more than 400 Pounds? You have to PAY before you complain, it's law! I faced this problem also, I didn't like to pay; I faced the problem of cut off the mainelectricity of the company.
If you haven't FULUUS, you are on the looserway,
in germany it is a little different! You will get medicin, food, flat, education for the kids, clothes, etc.

Hmmm, believe me, I am sure, you can live in egypt a very happy life....but only with money...!

Wish you the very best; and ask me everything you like, if you like to send me a mail : saraheike2002@yahoo.de

Sara

germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------------------------------
Dear Saeeda,
my husband was a policeofficer and lawyer, he let his job, because of the low sallary in the past, it was about 450 Pounds. He couldn't get well as a lawyer, netherless because they have to lie a lot and he couldn't...
Now, the only solution was a workshop, he can fix and repair everything, learned from his Ingenieurfather everything...except the Unidegree
Since all that time he earned only sometimes 100 per month, sometimes 700 per month. Now we got better, earn about 1500 per month.
But even that money isn't enough for 5 people, Saeeda, especially children cannot wait their food and milk or medication, educationpayment is just worse...

You want know how I manage?
I cannot.......my mom and dad or doing. Since many years, every month...
But, of course, this will not stay forever and I am fearing the future.
And my husbands soul isn't well, he's often depressed, because he cannot make it jet, is working from the morning till mostly one o'clock at night
We haven't injurences, no possibility to build a future for our kids.
You have to choose your steps very careful, the life in egypt got very expensive, even the medicine. You can find a doctor for 5 Pounds, but the treatment stays very expensive...especially for kids. Mostly I don't go to the doc and ask in the Pharmacie for an 'easy' treatment. Imagen, one bottle of Antibiotic for kids costs already 30 Pounds...
In our bathroom are tubes broken, the water is running in the housestairs, our walls are wet, the colour isn't anymore. It needs to remove the ceramic, will cost about threethousend Pounds, the bath has a hole also....So, you will maybe once a day face problems like this also; nobody can solve it without money. Or if you get a 'wrong' electricitybill of more than 400 Pounds? You have to PAY before you complain, it's law! I faced this problem also, I didn't like to pay; I faced the problem of cut off the mainelectricity of the company.
If you haven't FULUUS, you are on the looserway,
in germany it is a little different! You will get medicin, food, flat, education for the kids, clothes, etc.

Hmmm, believe me, I am sure, you can live in egypt a very happy life....but only with money...!

Wish you the very best; and ask me everything you like, if you like to send me a mail : saraheike2002@yahoo.de

Sara

germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uuuups, why my reply came twice?
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Sara, you have spoken the Gospel.. If there is anything I can help with: iwonabc@yahoo.com. Hang in there, girl! XOXOXOXOXOXO
K.

Saeeda, is this the life you want? And Sara's husband is making GOOD money considering salaries in Egypt!

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Dear Sara,

yours came twice and mine didn't come at all!!

Anyway...thanks a lot for your description... it is not very motivating... doesn't sound like paradise at all...but it's good to know the reality, to think about other options!! Sara, why are you not moving to Germany?? Ok it will be hard for your husband to find a job, but alltogether life will be easier here!!! And education is more or less for free...

Hmmm....you really made me think a lot...no I surely don't wanna live on the expenses of my parents anymore, have been doing that way too long!!! And the best education for my kids is sooooo important for me...

I dunno...it's depressing...I guess we'll have to travel from Germany to Egypt all our lifetime... work here, live there...but that won't work either, once the kids are there...

So the only solution would be for me to find a great great job in Egypt...right?

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Karah,

no this is NOT the life I want!!!!!!!!!!
But aren't there any couples in Egypt, who are managing well?? Although he is a normal Egyptian guy with no special connections???

I mean, isn't it up to me, up to the work that I can find??? Do you think it won't be enough either???

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Dear Penny,

I agree that love is not enough, yes of course... on the other hand, money and prosperity is not enough either!

I love my baby and am not gonna leave him for anything...so we HAVE to find a way to live together!

The question is: How? I don't need to be rich, but I don't wanna be REALLY poor, I want my kids to have a good life or I will not want to have any kids. This is the problem. So we need a certain income, surely a whole lot more than 500 Pounds.
We need mney to travel also, to visit my family from time to time. I can't live without that, I love my family.

My love doesn't speak german, no. He speaks english. I think I can be really happy in Egypt, provided that I find a good job which will give us enough income to have a good life. That means for me: going out from time to time, having a good apartment with AC and heating, being able to provide the best education for the kids. And buying some nice clothes from time to time. That's about it. How much do I need for that?? As much as in Germany?

Good apartment
A/C
Heating
Best education for children(private international school)
Clothes
Overseas travel

This is a top whack Egyptian living. The only way you are going to get this kind of money is having some kind of top flight job or a large capital investment.

We have built 4 luxury flats, with swimming pool, private garden, roof terrace www.flatsinluxor.co.uk and we rent to tourists only. We have gone for top quality not cheapest price. We are now in our second year and Hamdulallah things are going medium which is quite good for a new business.

So I would say we are doing well, by Egyptian standards, very well. But I can’t afford all that

My daughter is educated locally; I don't have heating but do have A/C. I spend nothing on clothes, still using my pre Egypt clothes and some locally bought galabeyas. No overseas travel either.

But one major expense you seem to have ignored which I have mentioned already. The rest of the family, you will be expected to share if you are doing well.

The other big thing is your charitable obligations, without going into details because the point is to give to God not boast about it this is not an inconsiderable part of our expenditure.

You talk about getting a good job and depending on your skill set that is possible but no man in Egypt would be happy with his wife being a major breadwinner. That is one thing about having your own business I can contribute my skill set without demeaning my husband by going out to work or even worse earning more than he could dream of.

Personally I totally disagree with Sara about taking an Arab man out of his country where his prospects are even more diminished. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in large pond or by moving him to the West a freshwater fish in the sea.

I was previously married to an Arab and we lived in the UK, although highly educated with a master’s degree from the Sorbonne he was unable to get work. Seeing the affect that had on our relationship I swore never to take an Arab out of his country again. They just don't travel.

I know what I am saying is tough but that is the reality, I am really sorry.

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
Karah,

But aren't there any couples in Egypt, who are managing well?? Although he is a normal Egyptian guy with no special connections???

I mean, isn't it up to me, up to the work that I can find??? Do you think it won't be enough either???

I love the enthusiasm you have. I don't know much about what kind of job you can find, maybe indeed you would have bigger chance for making decent money. I wrote a suggestion in my previous post that seems like a compromise: make money in Germany and bring them to Egypt. That would at least give you a start. From what I have seen, there are plenty of medicine doctors, even people with Phd.'s driving cabs in Alex and Cairo! That alone tells a lot. We do not mean to discourage you here, just give you a glimpse of what you may be up against..

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Ok, akshar, Karah, everyone...

You convinced me!!! I have to get more concrete and realistic and stop dreaming.

So- Could you give me an idea of how much money i would need to:

- maintain a good apartment (let's say 100 square meters) with A/C and heating (I have enough money to buy one in Cairo)
- have good food every day and go out at least once in a week
- buy new nice clothes from time to time
- feed 2 kids, get clothes for them etc. and provide for them education in a private foreign school
- have a health insurance which will guarantee good medical treatment in case of serious illness
- travel to germany at least 1 time in a year.
- invite friends and family every once in a while and give them nice presents etc. (as it's usual in Germany)

?????????? I suppose your answer won't be very encouraging... but, please tell me your honest opinion!!! How much would that be, let's say AT LEAST????

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
ah I forgot,

- to have some money for nice holidays (in Egypt or abroad)
- flatrate internet is a must
- wine from time to time (which is very expensive in egypt, i know!!)

Ok this may sound like I'm expecting a very high standard of living, but as you all know the measures here in Europe are totally different!!! I just wanna know if I can lead this kind of life in Egypt, and how much money I would need for that monthly
!!!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saeeda, not to take out the wind under your wings but I hope I am on the right track that you haven't lived at all in Egypt, well maybe you came couple of times visiting.

The best thing is you go off to Egypt and see it for yourself. Are you still studying or are you already working? If not, please finish your degree.

There are many questions you are asking and as said before do a reality check by yourself. Try to live over there, see how it goes and one more thing: teach your hubby the German language. You both can't get wrong by doing so.

Sure you can get for yourself a well-paid job - for Egyptian standard - at some point but culture is different and don't think your hubby will be happy not being able to provide for you or sits at home and brings up the child - which will surely come along.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 23 January 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Dear Tigerlily,

you are right I have never lived in Egypt, only visited!!!
But I know the culture quite well I think, I spent 6 months living and working in Palestine. I know it won't be a nice feeling for my love to earn less than I do, but this will be the reality regardless of the place where we live, and we can't do anything about it!! Even if we live in Germany, he will find only a very bad job here, because he is a foreigner.
At the moment I am still studying, yes, but I will come to Egypt in may and write my diploma there!! And in this time I will hopefully learn to understand the life better, as I will stay for 6 months.
After that, I will finish my exams and then I'm free to do whatever I like. My plan was to go to Egypt, learn the language, get merried and look for a job.
Ok we will see, if we can't earn a living in Egypt, we will have to try to settle down in Europe. I think your advice is good, to try and see and if it doesn#T work out, change the plan!!!
Insha-Allah everything will go fine...
Though the posts of all of you seem to say just one thing: STOP DREAMING

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saeeda:

I just want to say good luck. It sounds like you have lots to do in the next year and step by step your decisions should become more clear for you.

If you are going to be in Egypt for six months you will find all the answers to your questions.

I just want to say I had young friends just like you two, only he had a University degree and they were constantly turned down by the German Embassy for a visa.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hotel staff at the place I stayed in Cairo were payed just LE180 per month. That's LE6 per day! Most tourists wouldn't last 10 minutes in Cairo on 6 pounds.

[This message has been edited by timbuctoo (edited 24 January 2005).]

Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
quote:
So- Could you give me an idea of how much money i would need to:

- maintain a good apartment (let's say 100 square meters) with A/C and heating (I have enough money to buy one in Cairo)
ELECTRIC IN SUMMER FOR A/C ABOUT 200,- IN WINTER ABOUT 80,-, DOORMAN 50,-, TELEFON ONLY EGYPT 50,-, NET THE SAME.
- have good food every day and go out at least once in a week
IT'S MATTER WHAT YOU EAT AND WHERE YOU GO...BUT FOR ONE AT LEAST 500 PER MONTH (SOME PEOPLE SPEND THIS PER WEEKEND..)IF YOU WANT BE MEMBER IN A CLUB YOU MUST PAY FIRST ABOUT 30.000,-POUNDS...PLUS EVERY 'MOVING' INSIDE.
- buy new nice clothes from time to time
A NICE PULLOVER COSTS AT LEAST 80,- AND MORE, SHOES 50,-, DRESS 200,- ...UPWARDS...!
- feed 2 kids, get clothes for them etc. and provide for them education in a private foreign school
LANGUAGESCHOOLS COST YEARLY BETWEEN 3000,- AND 50.000 POUNDS, YOU HAVE PLENTY OF CHOICE...KIDS COST FOR DRESSING AND FOOD MORE THAN THE ADULTS.
(SAEEDA, MY KIDS ARE IN A ARABICSCHOOL AND I HAVE ALWAYS STRESS AND FEEL SO BAD, BECAUSE I CANNOT HELP THE MOST OF HOMEWORK. AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GOVERNMENTSCHOOLS...MY KIDS WERE THERE : IT'S SIMPLY HELL)
- have a health insurance which will guarantee good medical treatment in case of serious illness
VERY EXPENSIVE (?) TAKE CARE, MANY DON'T PAY THE MOST EXPENSIVE THINGS: THE TREATMENT.....STUDY THEIR LAW WELL
- travel to germany at least 1 time in a year.
TICKET EGYPT AIR ABOUT 2500,-, IF YOU HAVE TO CHANGE EG.POUNDS IN EURO, THEN IT WILL BE VERY EXPENSIVE HOLIDAY, YOU CAN SPEND EASILY 10000 POUNDS.
- invite friends and family every once in a while and give them nice presents etc. (as it's usual in Germany)
INVITE TO YOUR HOME? YOU CAN COOK ANYTHING NOT EXPENSIVE FOR ABOUT 50,-, IN THE 'MAKTABA'ON EVERY CORNER YOU CAN BUY NICE PRESENTS FOR ALREADY 10,-

B]

Saeeda, my husband told the people, from we rent our workshop, that we will leave in the summer.
My husband doesn't like to go much, because here in egypt they call him 'mohanndes'(Ingenieur), Bascha oder Ja 'B', Bezeichnungen fuer 'Ansehen'. In Germany it will be the opposite...he will be the "foreigner", shameful living from socialmoney, his position in the society will be 'under level'...That's why he's stil trying to 'push the workshop upwards', he want give it the chance till summer...
And something else, you know the straight law of germany - egypt is the opposite...you find maaaaany things grazy, unbelievable.
One example only: To open a shop you need a licence, of course. But to get it you must rent a shop, sometimes it needs till 3 Years. Who can pay the rent all that time..? We opened, like sooooo many, our worshop. We finished kinds of papers, but not all. And we learned, that we will never get it at least! My husband got now the '2.order', that he's facing one year prison for that reason. He takes it easy
I am living in a constantly stress.....

The advice from Kara-Miah was the best, save lots of money in germany, get experience, then you can get a life in egypt.
And don't forget the cost of a mobil, every 2 month 115,-, broken washmashine, a new cost mini. 2000,-, and so on...and children, I cannot ALWAYS say NO! It hurts sooo much. Life with little money IS painful!

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by germansara:

My husband doesn't like to go much, because here in egypt they call him 'mohanndes'(Ingenieur), Bascha oder Ja 'B', Bezeichnungen fuer 'Ansehen'. In Germany it will be the opposite...he will be the "foreigner", shameful living from socialmoney, his position in the society will be 'under level'...That's why he's stil trying to 'push the workshop upwards', he want give it the chance till summer...

Dear Sara,

yes that's so right, unfortunately!! Don't think that anyone will say "welcome" to your husband here
Unfortunately, it's the reality...many people don't love to see "foreigners" here. Especially after September 11, many people look suspicious on everybody with "oriental-looking" skin. My friends told me so, I have many arab friends here. And they can't find a job, even though they know the german language perfectly and have the best education. The job market is in a miserable situation at the moment and even my german friends can't find a job!!! So the foreigners with no connections have basically no chance.
If you come to Germany, come to Berlin or a big city like that, with many "foreigners"!
Here in Berlin there are so many foreign (turkish &arab) looking people, there is no racism or stupid behaviour. It's part of the picture. My hobby saw a documentation on TV about my quarter in Berlin and he was wondering why there are more girls with HIJABS on the street than in Cairo. I told him "yeah that's Berlin"

Thank you very very much for the info about the prices, well I counted everything together and found out I will need to get a MEGA-SUPER-VIP-UPPER-CLASS-JOB or I won't be able to afford all that...

I guess the suggestion to work here for some time, collect money and go to Egypt will be the best "Plan B"...

thank you so much

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member

Saeeda, many Germans I meet they like nothing but Germans. They have something to say against arabic, turkish, russian, "black" people in general. The list goes on and on. Its a real shame that Germany is not more open-minded.
Then again, sooner or later they have to because children of foreigners are already more present now in schools then German children. So these people who have something against foreigners, will have to get used to the idea that their own daughter might going to get married to an Ahmed or Boris in the future. It will be an interesting turn.

gerda
Member # 6364

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gerda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody,

What I can say more...?
Everything said here it so true.
Life in Egypt is very expensive, specially when you want to live your life "the Western way".
When I first heard about the Eg. salaries I was in shock!!! No wonder why al these young boys try to make a better life or profit from their (different) Western girlfriends!!!
I don't agree but I understand it in a way...
My husband and his family are nor poor nor rich, they can live a good normal life. We have our own appartment and we bought nice furniture. We have a heater an a/c and the location is nice. When I was living in Egypt,I travelled twice a year back home and when we had holiday, we spent it in Egypt somewhere. So my life was quite nice, no real moneyproblems. But when I started to work, in a 5-star hotel, I started to realize how lucky I was to have a wonderfull life and husband and that I had nothing to complain about. I started with a salary of LE 300 per month and after a while a got a raise and ended up with LE 600 per month. Not to bad for Egyptian standards. But at the end of the month when the staff went to the accounting department to receive the salary I realised how "rich" I was. Most of the staff (housekeeping etc.) had a salary of LE 150 and they had to feed the whole family with that!!! Almost every month I had to PAY money to the accounting because I've spent already more then my salary in the hotel (drinks, telephone calls etc)!!!
And what is also very important to have a good health insurance, we were insured through my husbands work. He is working for American Express. But someone from the staff needed an operation for which he didn't have the money, they collected money from friends and other staff!!!
So the "holiday" Egypt is completely different from the "life" in Egypt!!! Think carefully what is important for you but don't expect an "easy" life. Specially when you have children, we have sent our son to a Koptic "kindergarten" but everything is expensive and not the standard you get used to.
Love is very important for your luck but it is not enough!!!

Gerda

Posts: 29 | From: Amsterdam-Holland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mai
Member # 6172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI ALL yes i think egypt is passing throught a turning point nowadays...it's the market-time ...not official one ...to be a doctor or ingineer now is not the suitable path to go ...a lot of companies are opening now...no 150 is not enought at all ..these days ...
i have an idea for you saeeda but think about
if your man is good at teaching i think private lessons will be a very profitabe way even for preparatory years...you will find a lot of parents need teachers for their children at home ...math,English,arabic,science
try that and there is no need for degrees to do it
God with u

Posts: 336 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad but true....I actually met a girl on my visit to Luxor who works at the university for LE60 per month.Was I shocked...yeah...I know about the low salaries but this was rediculous.I felt so bad when I shopped left right and center thinking that what she makes in a year I spent in 10 minutes.Anyway its hard but something will surface...you can always try to get something in the tourism field...tourguide,translater or sell packages to agents in Germany via a travel agent in Egypt.If you sit and gather your thoughts...you will come up with something.

I guess I should consider myself lucky!

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saeeda wrote:
" My habibi got this new job for miserable 150 EGP a MONTH !!!! For this wage (which you'll get for 2-3 hours working in Germany) he has to work 6 days a week, 8 hours a day "

Hi Saeeda,

I am shocked reading this post. I give each worker EŁ500/ month + free home + plenty of tips + food and yet they sell my water,sell and hire out my animals and other equipements to further fill up their pockets and complained to my family and friends that the money I give them is not enough to live on.
By the way, there is nothing to do in the farm, just make sure the water comes in on time.
How lucky are they. most of them could not ever read or write.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Natashiah:

I guess I should consider myself lucky!

Yes I know what you mean. I often find myself relating prices to wages and back and forth and sometimes it is hard to come to terms with just how lucky we are.

Salama you sound like a very fair employer.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Karah,

sorry but most people tend to marry within their own social circle/class. whether you like it or not, class DOES exist in egypt. you don't see many men on welfare/social support marrying millionaire women in your country... and yet you seem to think it should happen in egypt?

sure foreigners marry egyptians. but those egyptians don't make the wages you're discussing here. yes, there are the exceptions like ashgar but even in those exceptions you have to look at the facts. no offense to ashgar, but she invested her capital into a business that is providing her with a certain lifestyle. that's not to suggest there isn't a lot of hard labour on her husband's and the rest of the family in making that business successful. but there probably wouldn't be a business without the initial capital.

if you're saying your fiance would have a problem with you earning more money, then we would expect you to be satisfied with what he can provide you with. clearly you cannot be.

and ps, sure there are egyptians that make LE600, but a more realistic monthly middle income for a college grad right out of school in Cairo for example is anywhere btw LE 1300-2,500. (that's broad bcs it depends on his/her degree and field of specialization)

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by saeeda:
[B] Dear Sara,

yes that's so right, unfortunately!! Don't think that anyone will say "welcome" to your husband here
Unfortunately, it's the reality...many people don't love to see "foreigners" here. Especially after September 11, many people look suspicious on everybody with "oriental-looking" skin.
--------------------------
Ohh, Saeeda,
my husband and my 7 year old son have braun skin...so we should choose a very big town to 'not to be seen' so much...
...and not getting work for my husband...

But we haven't ,at the moment, an other choice to survive (the mainreason...)

But believe it, my kids are treated here in egypt as foreigner as well..
Even my big daughter(9), she speaks 'Masry', the kids say bad things to her, because she's german.... and they kick my son in his "back", because he speaks unclear doesn't understand many things...
Hmm, it cannot get worse in germany, right?

Saeeda, if you stay in germany, you will not get saved money, but a proofed experience. By that way you can get a nice job later in egypt!! Or in saudia!?

Sara

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

yes, there are the exceptions like ashgar but even in those exceptions you have to look at the facts. no offense to ashgar, but she invested her capital into a business that is providing her with a certain lifestyle. that's not to suggest there isn't a lot of hard labour on her husband's and the rest of the family in making that business successful. but there probably wouldn't be a business without the initial capital.

Spot on ExptinCAI the capital outlay was significant and unlike a business in the West we will never get back what we spent. Capital Return is not something that seems to happen here. We look upon it as an investment that ensures us an income but not a massive return such that we could build another block of flats in x years. So even business here is different from that point of view.

And again you are right about the amount of work we all do. Being in the tourist industry means you are working 24/7. Meeting trains at 5 am and planes at 22:30 and everything inbetween. But Hamduallah we can afford doctors when we need them.

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mai:
i have an idea for you saeeda but think about
if your man is good at teaching i think private lessons will be a very profitabe way even for preparatory years...you will find a lot of parents need teachers for their children at home ...math,English,arabic,science
try that and there is no need for degrees to do it
God with u

Dear Mai,
it's a very good idea and I had this idea also, but where to find families who need extra classes for their kids??? I asked my love about it but he said that the families he knows would ask teachers to give private lessons to their kids... not students!!!
however i do think that some families would prefer students...after all it's probably cheaper than to hire a teacher!! But do you have an idea where to find such families?? Only through family contacts or are there some special websites/newspapers/other places to put and find adds??? (sorry if this is a stupid question again, but in Germany we have special newspapers and public places where people who are looking for someone to support their kids with homework etc. are putting small adds...just wondering if there's something like that in Egypt also)

AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You received some decent advice from everyone, but one reality that was probably overlooked: the ORFI marriage,
1. Its difficult to get your husband a visa to your country with a registered marriage, an Orfi marriage, it's impossible
2. You could never become an Egyptian resident with an Orfi marriage, and when you began family planning, keep in mind your kids could have no rights.

And the lawyer was probably dancing with happiness because you paid him 200 LE for a marriage not recoginized outside the country, when the recognized, registered on is only 45 LE.

so i highly suggest you get a registered marriage on your next visit, to increase possibilities for you and him.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Dear Mai,
it's a very good idea and I had this idea also, but where to find families who need extra classes for their kids??? I asked my love about it but he said that the families he knows would ask teachers to give private lessons to their kids... not students!!!
however i do think that some families would prefer students...after all it's probably cheaper than to hire a teacher!! But do you have an idea where to find such families?? Only through family contacts or are there some special websites/newspapers/other places to put and find adds??? (sorry if this is a stupid question again, but in Germany we have special newspapers and public places where people who are looking for someone to support their kids with homework etc. are putting small adds...just wondering if there's something like that in Egypt also)

You can post private lesson ads here:
http://www.ewaseet.com/cgi-bin/wst/auction.pl?e&cat_id=a5b5c1&c=all

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Saeeda, ANM is RIGHT!!!! Do you have only ORFI paper? To consider any serious living arrangements, both in Egypt and abroad, you MUST marry in the Lazoughly Concentration Camp, I mean, Honorable Ministry of Justice! It is beyond the royal pain in the arse as well as unforgettable experience; however, it is the only form of marriage recognized outside of Egypt. Think of it before seriously planning your family life.
Mai
Member # 6172

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi saeeda:
i'll ask around about that but what is the subject he is intrested at????open a post and write his qualifications...and i'm with "newmember" about elwasit newsletter
and i think if he find that a good idea he should start searching befor the beginning of the second term ..or he will wait till next school year!!!
GOD with u &him!!!

Posts: 336 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com