EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Cross-religious couples (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Cross-religious couples
Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some days ago while waiting in a queue, I accidentally overheard a conversation between two women. One of them was telling the other that her daughter was going to marry a guy with Moroccan origin. And the other one really asked wheather it was tough for the family to adapt to the fact that the guy was Muslim [Eek!] [Confused] I canīt tell you, how stunned I was.

As far as I can see, there seem to be some people on this board being involved in a cross-religious relationship.

My question: Do these couples face many problems from their environment, like family, friends, coleagues, etc.?
If we take Egypt as an example: Is it more acceptable for a man to marry a woman with another religion? What if an Egyptian Muslim woman decides to marry a non-Muslim?
And what about the non-Muslim partner? Do they feel kind of a "pressure" to "adjust" to the new situation and convert?

(I know that if we just look at it from a religious point of view that such relationships are much more "acceptable" for men. Thatīs why I would like you to look at it from a societal point of view - thatīs why I did not post this topic in the "Religion" section [Wink]
Last remark: Iīm very well aware that Iīm generalizing here, so feel free to do the same [Razz]
Itīs not my intention to insult anybody, so please do not feel attacked by my question.

Thanks a lot for your comments [Smile]

Posts: 173 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mentality is more important than religion or nationality in a marriage ...
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree mentalitly is definatly more important than nationaltly in marriage...

unfortunaly this is not the case more often

but not more imp thatn religion [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
--
here...
[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0955020700/qid%3D1133898517/026-7853042-0414807= Recommended...![/url]

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:

And you must take in account the mentality of alot of people

You not just marrying a person, but an entire family (extended and otherwise), a local community, even in some respects an entire nation or in the case of Islam Ullema.

Its deep.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your eyes ok ki$$7eaven?
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:

You not just marrying a person, but an entire family (extended and otherwise), a local community, even in some respects an entire nation or in the case of Islam Ullema.

Its deep.

wrong.

part of your mentality is whether you take these people into account or whether they are a deciding factor in your life. both ways. and trust me, i have first hand experience with that.

TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
your eyes ok ki$$7eaven?

yes elhamdulilha...
Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Its deep.

wrong.

part of your mentality is whether you take these people into account or whether they are a deciding factor in your life. both ways. and trust me, i have first hand experience with that.

Have you married a khawagaaa?
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Ki$$7eaven:
quote:
your eyes ok ki$$7eaven?

yes elhamdulilha...
good ... i had a friend who used to roll her eyes all the time. one time they just stuck up there. u be careful now.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Its deep.

wrong.

Have you married a khawagaaa?
u r a smart enough girl to answer that ... i gave u enough hints in my post.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
I can see mentality being the most important factor with respect to the fact people with similar mentalities are going to place similar value on something like religion.

For example, I wouldn't want to marry a Muslim man who didn't feel comfortable with the fact I'm going over my parents' house for Christmas and exchanging presents. If a guy had a problem with that for religious reasons, it would interfere with my relationship with my family.

bravo. my point.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:

ES101: usernames putting up a front and pretending like they have experienced more than they have.

Personally I don't know who you are, and really I can't trust what people say online most of the time.

Besides when I married my husband I got a nice long lecture from an African American revert who just left Nation of Islam for Islam:

"When you marry a Muslim, a true believer you marry 1 billion people. You must honor and respect those 1 billion people because they are closer to God than you are."

Enough said.

TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
your eyes ok ki$$7eaven?

yes elhamdulilha...
good ... i had a friend who used to roll her eyes all the time. one time they just stuck up there. u be careful now.
hehe...

mashi...

i think im just trying to keep my tired eyes open...
n i dont like plain text writing...like some pictures .... [Roll Eyes] animated ones are better [Eek!]

well good night all

ma salam

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

ES101: usernames putting up a front and pretending like they have experienced more than they have.

Personally I don't know who you are, and really I can't trust what people say online most of the time.

Besides when I married my husband I got a nice long lecture from an African American revert who just left Nation of Islam for Islam:

"When you marry a Muslim, a true believer you marry 1 billion people. You must honor and respect those 1 billion people because they are closer to God than you are."

Enough said.

I thought i've been "tested" by u before?

As for your African American friend, let me assure u that no Arab muslim can even relate to their concepts ... it was no surprise that Mohammed Ali left the nation of islam as soon as he came back from Saudi Arabia and learned what the real islam is. the nation of islam is nothing but a political party with a religious front.

and don't u "enough said" me lady ...

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
your eyes ok ki$$7eaven?

yes elhamdulilha...
hehe...

mashi...

i think im just trying to keep my tired eyes open...
n i dont like plain text writing...like some pictures .... [Roll Eyes] animated ones are better [Eek!]

well good night all

ma salam

ciao ciao.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
I can see mentality being the most important factor with respect to the fact people with similar mentalities are going to place similar value on something like religion.

For example, I wouldn't want to marry a Muslim man who didn't feel comfortable with the fact I'm going over my parents' house for Christmas and exchanging presents. If a guy had a problem with that for religious reasons, it would interfere with my relationship with my family.

I have the privilage of the same tradition being tolerated by my husband.

But he won't go over to my family's house for the day and he won't allow any of my income to go towards gifts. So I end up making the gifts without his knowledge at little expense and by my own hands.

If he knew there would be hell to pay.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:

And how much of Islam is free from politics?

And how about verse 3:110 in the Quran?

What the African American revert had stated, was reworded and repeated by at least 40 other born-Muslims from Muslim dominated countries.

What all of these people forgot was my husband was marrying a person whose faith was ordained to be the true faith by 3/4 of the world. And he happened to make that committment to me in a Christian dominant nation.

Nice to forget the details? [Roll Eyes]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

And how much of Islam is free from politics?

And how about verse 3:110 in the Quran?

What the African American revert had stated, was reworded and repeated by at least 40 other born-Muslims from Muslim dominated countries.

What all of these people forgot was my husband was marrying a person whose faith was ordained to be the true faith by 3/4 of the world. And he happened to make that committment to me in a Christian dominant nation.

Nice to forget the details? [Roll Eyes]

I am not religious enough to be able to reply to you in detail quoting parts of the quran ... but i am able to present you with the following:

When Muhammad married Maria the Copt, did he also place the whole ummah ahead of her?

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:

But he won't go over to my family's house for the day and he won't allow any of my income to go towards gifts. So I end up making the gifts without his knowledge at little expense and by my own hands.

And that my dear is nothing by religious intolerance. hence, my point ... mentality, mentality, mentality.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
When Muhammad married Maria the Copt, did he also place the whole ummah ahead of her?

No, but she is the only wife besides Khadeja to bring him offspring (which subsequently didn't live).

But did the ummah ask Mariam to consider herself a inferior being to them because of her original faith?

No.

You couldn't possibly compare me to Mariam. Or any other kaffir who marries one of God's right hand.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
And that my dear is nothing by religious intolerance. hence, my point ... mentality, mentality, mentality.

Yeah, and how many Muslim husband go over to his wife's family home for Christmas?

How many sermons at the local Mosque advises against this?

Mentality isn't an individual whim in Muslim dominant nations, its a shared breath.

*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

said the wise OLD MAN . [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

By the way I agree with you completely..if I can alter this to *mental* compatibility .

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

No, but she is the only wife besides Khadeja to bring him offspring (which subsequently didn't live).

But did the ummah ask Mariam to consider herself a inferior being to them because of her original faith?

No.

You couldn't possibly compare me to Mariam. Or any other kaffir who marries one of God's right hand.

Thank u ... for u have brought up a very important topic for discussion: "iltakfeer"

What that word means is to proclaim other people kaffirs. When i first moved back to Egypt i was very disturbed at how common it was for people to refer to Christians as kaffirs. This is very sad, but also common. And it is a result of a weakness on the governments side to monitor the clerics residing over the various mosques who have become radical and ignorant. Christians are not kaffirs. Argue with any proclaimed religious Muslim (PRM) and he will argue that because they believe in the trinity, then they are therefore believing in more than one God. Whenever faced with such ignorance, i always carry on the following conversation:

Me: Can a Muslim marry a kaffir?
PRM: No
Me: Wasn't Maria a Copt, and in essence a believer in trinity?
PRM: Yes
Me: So, if she is kaffir, how is it that Muhammad was allowed to marry her?
PRM: *speechless*

Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

part of your mentality is whether you take these people into account or whether they are a deciding factor in your life. both ways. and trust me, i have first hand experience with that. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Itīs great that you donīt consider these people to be "a deciding factor in your life". Chapeau!
But when someone is living in a society with a high conformity pressure, is it really probable that s/he is going to "rebel" against the standard?

Posts: 173 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

Yeah, and how many Muslim husband go over to his wife's family home for Christmas?

How many sermons at the local Mosque advises against this?

Mentality isn't an individual whim in Muslim dominant nations, its a shared breath.

But that is THE whole point sonomod ... all of us who are religiously tolerant will tell u that the biggest catastrophe facing Islam today is the misinterpretation of the reigion. And hence, the popularity of people like Osama Bin Laden who would declare me kaffir in a flash.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger1225:
quote:

By the way I agree with you completely..if I can alter this to *mental* compatibility .

thanks for your vote of confidence tiggery pooh. [Smile]
Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:

This is exactly my question: Is there an interference with oneīs relationship with family when marrying someone from another religion?
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger1225:
quote:

thanks for your vote of confidence tiggery pooh. [Smile]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Merima:
quote:
quote:

Itīs great that you donīt consider these people to be "a deciding factor in your life". Chapeau!
But when someone is living in a society with a high conformity pressure, is it really probable that s/he is going to "rebel" against the standard? [/QB][/QUOTE]

but we must ... isn't that what individuality is all about? why were we given brains if we were expected to follow like sheep? surely, not just to choose our favorite sexual positions ...

what's everyone favorite sexual position by the way?

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

This is exactly my question: Is there an interference with oneīs relationship with family when marrying someone from another religion?
of course there is ... but if the husband made that decision to bring a woman from a different religion and culture, then he stands responsible for defending and supporting her. if u arent up for the challenge and just want to conform then don't bring injustice upon yourself, your wife, and your family.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Thank u ... for u have brought up a very important topic for discussion: "iltakfeer"

What that word means is to proclaim other people kaffirs. When i first moved back to Egypt i was very disturbed at how common it was for people to refer to Christians as kaffirs. This is very sad, but also common. And it is a result of a weakness on the governments side to monitor the clerics residing over the various mosques who have become radical and ignorant. Christians are not kaffirs. Argue with any proclaimed religious Muslim (PRM) and he will argue that because they believe in the trinity, then they are therefore believing in more than one God. Whenever faced with such ignorance, i always carry on the following conversation:

Me: Can a Muslim marry a kaffir?
PRM: No
Me: Wasn't Maria a Copt, and in essence a believer in trinity?
PRM: Yes
Me: So, if she is kaffir, how is it that Muhammad was allowed to marry her?
PRM: *speechless*

And this is how 90% of Muslims in the world view Christians.

Even though many Christians are more agnostic and don't believe in the trinity.

Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But when someone is living in a society with a high conformity pressure, is it really probable that s/he is going to "rebel" against the standard?

but we must ... isn't that what individuality is all about? why were we given brains if we were expected to follow like sheep? surely, not just to choose our favorite sexual positions ...

what's everyone favorite sexual position by the way? [/QB][/QUOTE]

A absolutely agree! BUT if we were to live in a "perfect world" with perfect people individuality and tolerance would be taken for granted. But isnīt the actual reality different? Would we otherwise be discussing this point?

And not to forget: Donīt you dare to distract from my original topic! [Razz] [Wink]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
And this is how 90% of Muslims in the world view Christians.

Even though many Christians are more agnostic and don't believe in the trinity.

i am glad to see your percentage slider declining ... when we first started our "discussions" on here, your favorite figure was 99%. At 90%, i feel like i have accomplished quite a bit ... 40% to go.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
of course there is ... but if the husband made that decision to bring a woman from a different religion and culture, then he stands responsible for defending and supporting her. if u arent up for the challenge and just want to conform then don't bring injustice upon yourself, your wife, and your family.

Yeah, but here you go, many Muslimahs are resentful of your husband for marrying a kaffir.

Especially since Muslimahs don't have the right to marry kaffir themselves.

So the buzzing in your ear starts, mostly from men who won't dare marry a kaffir or Muslimahs who won't ever challenge the Patriarchy unless its this condition.

So naturally you must turn on your wife or otherwise you are not faithful to the ummah.

I can't tell you how very spiteful Muslimahs can be about this. Really quite vampid.

Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
[/qb]

of course there is ... but if the husband made that decision to bring a woman from a different religion and culture, then he stands responsible for defending and supporting her. if u arent up for the challenge and just want to conform then don't bring injustice upon yourself, your wife, and your family. [/QB][/QUOTE]

The husband..., ok. But what about the woman who marries a guy from another religion? Is it as easy for her to "defend and support" him in front of her (Muslim?) family?

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:

A absolutely agree! BUT if we were to live in a "perfect world" with perfect people individuality and tolerance would be taken for granted. But isnīt the actual reality different? Would we otherwise be discussing this point?

And not to forget: Donīt you dare to distract from my original topic! [Razz] [Wink]

right ... the world has leaders and followers. the followers are expected to conform and follow, while the leaders are expected to set forth the proper path. when u get a leader like hilter, u end up with world war ii.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:

The husband..., ok. But what about the woman who marries a guy from another religion? Is it as easy for her to "defend and support" him in front of her (Muslim?) family?

ha ha, you are joking right?

A muslimah isn't allowed to marry a christain.

Period! End of Story!

Their marriage would invalid in the eyes of the Muslim world, let alone most North African and Middle East governments! [Roll Eyes]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

of course there is ... but if the husband made that decision to bring a woman from a different religion and culture, then he stands responsible for defending and supporting her. if u arent up for the challenge and just want to conform then don't bring injustice upon yourself, your wife, and your family. [/QB]
The husband..., ok. But what about the woman who marries a guy from another religion? Is it as easy for her to "defend and support" him in front of her (Muslim?) family? [/QB][/QUOTE]

now, that's a different issue ...

Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
You know, one of the things I was watching for in my fiance was whether he somehow treated me differently in Egypt when we visited for 2 weeks. We were in a business meeting (of all things) when one of the men there was trying to pressure me to change my dinner cruise plans that night so I could meet with an (important) investor. It was a $4 million deal or something. My fiance just *loves* business and I really thought he would put the business deal/man first over my desire to go on this cruise.

But he did the exact opposite! He totally stood up for me and insisted that he promised this guy he was taking me on the cruise and if the investor is so interested, he would be fine with rescheduling. The guy said to my fiance, *that's really an American thing to do.* And my fiance replied simply, *we're Americans.*

So it really depends on the person/people. He went against his love of business and his home culture to take me to a cruise that was merely a fun excursion, just because I wanted to. [Smile]

Oh Snoozin, Iīm happy for you. You found the man of every womanīs dreams [Smile]
Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Period! End of Story!

Their marriage would invalid in the eyes of the Muslim world, let alone most North African and Middle East governments! [Roll Eyes]

I know that it is not allowed from the religious point of view? But since weīre just human beings, itīs not impossible, is it?
So what happens when a Muslim woman actually falls in love with a non-Muslim guy?

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:

Period! End of Story!

I know that it is not allowed from the religious point of view? But since weīre just human beings, itīs not impossible, is it?
So what happens when a Muslim woman actually falls in love with a non-Muslim guy?

One of them converts ...
Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The husband..., ok. But what about the woman who marries a guy from another religion? Is it as easy for her to "defend and support" him in front of her (Muslim?) family? [/QB]
now, that's a different issue ... [/QB][/QUOTE]

A different issue? Why? If you consider men and women as being equal, why should we make a difference here?

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

now, that's a different issue ... [/QB]
A different issue? Why? If you consider men and women as being equal, why should we make a difference here? [/QB][/QUOTE]

i do ... but it isn't my religion.

Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Oh Snoozin, Iīm happy for you. You found the man of every womanīs dreams [Smile]

Not apparently. he is divorced, so some woman didn't like him. [Big Grin]

but thank you....although I didn't find him til I was 37. But he's worth the wait in my opinion. [Wink]

What about you?

Nothing wrong with divorced men. After all, they know what a marriage is like and they should have learned from previous mistakes and be brilliant in their next marriages [Big Grin] [Wink]
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

now, that's a different issue ... [/QB]
A different issue? Why? If you consider men and women as being equal, why should we make a difference here? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Because it does make a difference and thats the way it is.

NEXT!

Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

A different issue? Why? If you consider men and women as being equal, why should we make a difference here? [/QB]
i do ... but it isn't my religion. [/QB][/QUOTE]

And the tricky question is: Does one obey oneself and leads an independent and self-determined life even if it goes against oneīs religion? Or is religion put in first place?

Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but here you go, many Muslimahs are resentful of your husband for marrying a kaffir.

So the buzzing in your ear starts, mostly from men who won't dare marry a kaffir or Muslimahs who won't ever challenge the Patriarchy unless its this condition.

So naturally you must turn on your wife or otherwise you are not faithful to the ummah.

I can't tell you how very spiteful Muslimahs can be about this. Really quite vampid.

Oh Sonomod, please donīt be so unfair. Not all Muslimahs are like that. Some of us can be quite nice [Razz]
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

A different issue? Why? If you consider men and women as being equal, why should we make a difference here?
i do ... but it isn't my religion. [/QB]
And the tricky question is: Does one obey oneself and leads an independent and self-determined life even if it goes against oneīs religion? Or is religion put in first place? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Now that Muslims are so much better at obeying God and are so superior to Christians, what do you think?

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh Sonomod, please donīt be so unfair. Not all Muslimahs are like that. Some of us can be quite nice [Razz]
Thats if they are practicing Muslimahs. Disobediant Muslimahs don't count.
Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

And the tricky question is: Does one obey oneself and leads an independent and self-determined life even if it goes against oneīs religion? Or is religion put in first place?

Well, that's difficult. What do you mean by *obey* yourself? I would hope that a person can lead a self-determined life that is in concert with his/her religion...
But if we stick to my exampe with a Muslim woman falling in love with a non-Muslim: Is it possible for her to act according to her feelings and listening to her heart without violating religious rules?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com