EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Marriage of US Citizens to Egyptians as of April 10, 2007 (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Marriage of US Citizens to Egyptians as of April 10, 2007
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plastic everything is bigger and better in texas lol
come on down
na shittin ya im in nasty corn state

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plastic Bags     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need a cup of Arbuckle's [Big Grin] brb im done in here [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 178 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a cup of what??

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plastic Bags     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^lol^^wrack off [Smile]
Posts: 178 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Bags:
^^lol^^wrack off [Smile]

nothing personal
tempa_53
Member # 13863

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempa_53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tina helloo how going on?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shahrzaad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny even if I go to Egypt which is where I want to be I can not get married. I am american I can not marry in Egypt
Posts: 156 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shahrzaad:
Penny even if I go to Egypt which is where I want to be I can not get married. I am american I can not marry in Egypt

You can get married there. It just won't be recognized in the U.S.

[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shahrzaad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no I am not allowed to marry
Posts: 156 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not allowed to marry why?
You can have a marriage that is recognized in Egypt, it just won't be recognized in the U.S.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
if yr from usa yr free to marry who u want
u cant marry unless yr already married lol

--------------------

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
no I am not allowed to marry

Shahrzaad
As loved one said you can marry in Egypt and it will be a legal marriage in Egypt with the same rights as an Egyptian wife. It will also give you residency rights.
You just need to go to a lawyer and he will do the marriage contract for you and process it through the court. It is very simple.
It will not of course be recognised in the US as it will not have been via the ministry of justice. Depends really on where you have decided to live.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
I have an egyptian attorney. I am following his legal advice. The orfi marriage is not an option for my fiance and I. If you have something else of course I would love to hear about it.
Hopefloats Always
Member # 4693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopefloats Always     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget Egyptian attorneys seriously , they just take your money hon , really
Posts: 73 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Agreed, that attorney is not going to be able to help you.
Get married in Egypt and then go back to the states and file for a K1 visa if you don't want to live in Egypt.
You've no other option until the government decides to change its mind about the current policy, and it may never happen.

You have a choice to get married in Egypt or not. If you decide not to use it, that's up to you, but your options are about as limited as they can be.

mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually i was told by egyptian authorities in the case of foreigners, even if living in egypt the only legal marriage is through the ministry. And this marriage certificate is not even able to be used outside of egypt UNLESS you have it translated and authenticated at your embassy in egypt. So according to egyptian authorities there is no legal marriage in egypt, recognized by egypt for foreigners other than the ministry marriage.
But then again there are always different things told to different people

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have an egyptian attorney. I am following his legal advice. The orfi marriage is not an option for my fiance and I. If you have something else of course I would love to hear about it.

What Loved One is referring to is an Egyptian civil marriage, not an orfi marriage. The difference is that although a civil marriage is done through a lawyer, it is registered as a legal marriage in Egypt through the courts. This type of marriage for a foreigner is recognized in Egypt, i.e. the woman would be entitled to all her rights as a wife in Egypt, and she would need to go to the court to get a divorce not just tear the paper up, but it would not be recognized overseas for the purposes of immigration.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Thank you kindly. I love Egypt and I love my fiance. We have very specific goals. I have been to Egypt. I do know the attorney and I have him for more than one reason. I appreciate your responses.
Hopefloats Always
Member # 4693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopefloats Always     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone here know what year yahoo messenger came out?
They were pretty rude to my fiance when he told them we met in yahoo on 02.

--------------------
Brenda

Posts: 73 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yahoo also launched Yahoo! Messenger on 21 July 1999.

oops sorry forgot to copy link but I found that on Yahoo!-Wikipedia..

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopefloats Always
Member # 4693

Rate Member
TY SO MUCH
THIS WHAT I SAID THE WOMEN WAS VERY CRAPPY TO MY FIANCE SAYING YAHOO DIDNT EXIST IN 02 OONLY NET MEETING
TY SO MUCH

--------------------
Brenda

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you respond to them (or how did he respond)? The whole idea with dealing with the Embassy is for you to control the conversation with those idiots. I have noticed that the very few times I have been there dealing with paperwork (not visa related). If you hold control of the conversation and stick to facts and make them feel stupid in their questions and rudeness it goes a long way (I think my years of working in law in the states helped me with that). Just tell them their facts must be incorrect and leave it at that. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somewhere in the sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE July 25, 2007:

I just personally spoke with the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and they said that they are still not issuing the affidavit for Americans to get married. The consular officer said that it is the Egyptian Government who is not accepting the affidavit that was previously being issued by the U.S. Embassy. She also said that the U.S. State Department is aware of the stituation. The only other thing that she could confirm is that they "are trying to resolve is issue."

I think it's time to rattle someone cages and get some high profile people involved. Once again Congressional Members need to be aware of what is going on and the media. Maybe this will put pressure of the U.S. Government to change their position and do something. No enough noise is being made. Every other U.S. Embassy in the world is issue that affidavit with the exception of the U.S. Embassy Cairo, Egypt.

Get off your hands people and make some serious noise!!!

--------------------
'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "Allah's Apostle (صلى الله عليه و سلم) took hold of my shoulder and said, "Be in this world as if you were a stranger or a traveller."

Posts: 2342 | From: Its not where I'm from but where Im going | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how?
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree totally .i have already written to many of congressmen about this although i was lucky i got married there in 2006 but for the rest of you you need to write to everyone till you get some reponse
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somewhere in the sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact information at the U.S. State Department level:

Here are the contacts in the U.S. State Department in charge of the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.

I called the U.S. Embassya again not settlling for there basic line we aren't issuing that affidavit and I wanted to know who was in charged of the U.S. Embassy on this issue at the State Department level and I was told:

Kim Richter Telephone: 202 736-4978
Her office is: CA/OSC/ASC/NESC 4TH FLOOR SA-29

Also call Viktornia Lopatkiewicz: 202-736-4999

Now make some noise!!!

--------------------
'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "Allah's Apostle (صلى الله عليه و سلم) took hold of my shoulder and said, "Be in this world as if you were a stranger or a traveller."

Posts: 2342 | From: Its not where I'm from but where Im going | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

email ?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info i am ready to make some noise i just want to yell [Mad]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopefloats Always
Member # 4693

Rate Member
I called the #
Had to leave messages on both.
There is another #888-407-4747 ask for Tonya Wood
Lets see what happens ladies.
TY

--------------------
Brenda

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

who is tonya wood?

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
what shall we say when we call?
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Ask them why the U.S. Embassy is not providing the necessary services to assist American Citizens to get married in Cairo,Egypt?

This is totally unacceptable and many live are being put on hold when the U.S. Embassy claims that they neither have the legal authority to approve or deny marriages. I am sure that the lawyers at the U.S. State Department level can prepare a document which will both satisfy the U.S. and Egyptian authorities.

This issue has been ongoing at least since April 10, 2007.

I would also tell them that I think its time that my/our congressional members are aware of this and if necessary higher than them.

All other U.S. Embassies are meeting the requirement of their foreign government counterparts and there is no reason why the U.S. Embassy in Cairo should not be doign the same.

Enough is enough. Time to stop putting American lives on hold for politics.

Need I say more?

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thanks for the reply when i call i am going to read what you wrote if thats ok with you [Confused] [Wink]
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

LOL..yes that is fine..please feel free to add to or take away from it as well..LOL

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thanks [Wink]
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Here is the U.S. State Department's telephone directory..lot of goodies in there.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86889.pdf

Anyway..look of American Citizen Services..

--------------------

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

More contacts to bug!

Christine Tadros: 202 647 6175

Jenny Foo : 202 736 4997

Bill Hurst: 202 647 5395

Leslie Imes: 202 647 6179

--------------------

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think this is an emigration issue. you can get married, if you really don't want to put your life on hold. nothing the US govt is doing is preventing you from moving to egypt and living as man and wife under egyptian law.

they're just preventing your egyptian to-be-husband from marrying you in a Cairo marrige ceremony the States recognizes so that he then immediately apply for a US visa and try to emigrate.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Ladies and gents this is the truth. I have called congressmen and all the egyptian consulates in the US. Nobody knows anything about this situation. Call Call Call Ask your senators to start an investigation. Egypt is the only country that we can not marry. The senator's do not know about this. The Egyptian counsulate did not know until about 3 of us started calling. I am so glad to have others helping us with the phone calls

I was there and ready to be married. I had everything but was asked to just get a paper that I hand wrote notarized the US embassy in egypt refused that service to me.

Call the Egyptian Counsular in the US too. Call Oprah and I will gladly join you on TV to talk about this situation. Think if 20 0f us were on Oprah....

Not only that but why haven't the people (men and women) been complaining. I was told by one egyptian embassy that egypt was losing too many men (it was a personal comment from the person and she made it clear it was not official) but if that is true wouldn't there be a huge uproar from all the women that could not get married. This particular embassy that I called said they had only had one other person call in 3 months. Aonther embassy said that I was the second person but since I called them twice that means I was the only one!!!

We need to work together. Please PM me as several of us have been doing research and we need all of us working to help each other.

Thank you ... really

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

This has nothing to do with immigrations initally. There are those who want to get married and maybe live in Egypt. Without a civil marriage it is difficult getting U.S. passorts for your children born abroad when the other parent is Egyptian for example.

If you have children and were not married in a civil cermony the U.S.Government considers your children born out of wedlock..They actually considers them as bastards..

This is what is written on the U.S. Embassy's website:

If you do not have a civil marriage certificate or if you got married after the birth of the child, the child is considered to have been born out of wedlock.

and that statement is posted here: http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs2.htm

So getting married in a civil marriage has grave implication and should not be taken lightly.

We need to be able to exercise our constitutional rights to marry and allow our children to be born a free American Citizens and not potentially labelled as Bastards.

--------------------

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Im now starting to wonder. How a civil class action lawsuit against both the Egyptian Government and the U.S. Government will set with the public.

Meaning under the pretince of slander. If they are prevent us from getting married in a civil marriage and then on top of that they are saying that our children who are born out of wedlock since we did not have a civil marriage perform because we were denied this right.

Could not a civil class action lawsuit be brought against responsible parties and hold them responsible in court?

Something to ponder over. Are there any lawyers on this board?

--------------------

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Oh the Oprah Show deal sounds really nice. If this issue reaches that level you can be sure head will roll overnight.

Do you have any contact info for Oprah. I am sure she would love to eat this up and she is host a very big dinner party for the Senator Obama..No go figure!!

Keep the focus on civil liberities. Keep the focus on your constitutional rights as free American Citizens. Keep the issue about not being able to get married in a civil marriage to make our marriage legal and legal nationality for our children born abroad. No-one can dispute or deny these rights and I am sure the American public will be behind its fellow American citizens on these issues. Get your parents, siblings and relatives involved if you can.

Don't let this one slip by..

--------------------

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
again, you need to think about why this piece of paper has been provided for years and accepted for years, and suddenly...it's no longer acceptable. obviously the legal language which has never been a problem before is not the real issue here.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do y'all really think Oprah cares about this type of thing? Civil liberties and civil rights? What civil liberties and rights are in jeopardy here? The inability to marry a foreigner? I think you guys are going a bit too far. How can you take a class action lawsuit out against the Egyptian gov't more specifically the Ministry of Justice? I'm sorry to say this because I'm American myself but I think some Americans think they're too big for their britches. Seriously you're gonna sue the Egyptian gov't because you can't marry a few fallaheen?
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Mother War..

It is commonly known..if you don't have anything good to say..then don't say anthing at all.

Thank you for your warm and kind support. It is obvious what side of the fence you are on and you know second thought, you are entitled to your opinion so keep on expressing it. That's one of the freedoms and/or civil liberties you get to enjoy here and elsewhere and please don't let us rain on your parade.

Final note: "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person...so arm yourself"

I think enough said on this reponse.

--------------------

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say anything "wrong" I was just pointing out how ridiculous the notion of taking out a class action law suit against the Egyptian gov't is. And the idea of going on Oprah...sheesh. [Roll Eyes] I got married in Cairo at the ministry, I dealt with immigration and all that fun stuff. I saw all the foreigners lined up to get married at the ministry and I have to say, I don't blame the gov't for wanting to end that. File a fiance visa petition and save your time.

quote:
Originally posted by Somewhere in the sands:
Mother War..

It is commonly known..if you don't have anything good to say..then don't say anthing at all.

Thank you for your warm and kind support. It is obvious what side of the fence you are on and you know second thought, you are entitled to your opinion so keep on expressing it. That's one of the freedoms and/or civil liberties you get to enjoy here and elsewhere and please don't let us rain on your parade.

Final note: "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person...so arm yourself"

I think enough said on this reponse.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

I dont know how to say this any other way. This is not about immigrations.

Listen!.. I have two friends one American and one British.. They can't get married. Ministry of Justice won't let them because the U.S. Embassy won't give them them affidavit.

Another group of friends both AMERICANS THEY CAN'T GET MARRIED in Cairo, Egypt. Same The U.S. Embassy wont give the affidavit even to its own two citizens.

This issue is not about immigration. It about American Citizen wanting to get married legally to whomever they want to PERIOD!

--------------------

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Ok since this is not about immigration then why not move to Egypt and like ExptinCairo said, live as husband and wife in Egypt? The gov't is not preventing Americans from marrying Egyptians they just won't provide the no objection statement. If children are the issue (because of the born out of wedlock thing) this is what the US embassy site says...

If you do not have a civil marriage certificate or if you got married after the birth of the child, the child is considered to have been born out of wedlock. In this case, if the U.S. father is the applying parent, he must fill out an Affidavit of Parentage, an Affidavit of Support, and submit proof of 5 years of physical presence in the U.S. If the U.S. mother is the applying parent, she must submit proof of 1 year of physical presence in the U.S.

Ok so the children are "considered" born out of wedlock but there are ways of getting a US passport for this child. The Egyptian birth cert. will still have the mother and father on the birth certificate. You (and your family and friends) will know that this child is not born out of wedlock. I don't see how this would prevent someone (who seriously wants to marry an Egyptian for the sake of marriage only) from getting married.

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Okay Mother of War,

For some the matter is clear and for others well....

Let's just leave it at that!

--------------------

Former ES Member and Moving Away
Member # 10626

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 820 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com