EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Sign Language » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
I wasn't sure where to post this so here is as good a place as any.

I was thinking of sign language the other day (don't ask me why). I wondered if sign language is the same for all languages...since it contains an alphabet and alphabets can differ from language to language.

Any information from anyone is welcomed. I always thought it would be fascinating to learn sign language. Do we have any ES users who are able to sign? [Smile]

MICKY A
Member # 11209
 - posted
yes i know how to sign . i use to go visit a lady in a nursing home who was deaf and blind . she use to hold my hand and i would talk to her that way. what an experience.. i am a little rusty now . i haven't did it for sop long. but i still know the ABC's [Smile]

Member # 10289
 - posted
Oh great, how exciting, and what a nice opporunity you had to visit that woman. [Smile]
Do you know if it is universal, the sign language you learned I mean?

brendaandakram
Member # 14139
 - posted
there are a few different ways of signing but the changes are not very noticable makaton is used when ur signing with children its an easy version for them to learn

MICKY A
Member # 11209
 - posted
I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THAT SMUCKS.

karen36
Member # 1076
 - posted
Look it up on the web and learn it for your daughter--it is wonderful!! My son (21mos) and nephew (1yr) both use many of the signs and it is so helpful to know what they want. They say it helps them as they don't get frustrated trying to convey what they mean. And as I'm sure your child will speak arabic and english, think how nice it will be for a third language [Smile]

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Here Smuckers that's what I quickly found on the internet:

http://signingbaby.com/main/?pp_album=main

There are quite a few books and videos out. Try to purchase if you can! Good luck!

Member # 10289
 - posted
Thanks for your opinions and the link looks great.

cairobug
Member # 10571
 - posted
It's actually different smuckers, I met a few people who sign in Egypt and it is different. Met an amazing, let me say that again amazing, Egyptian woman who's deaf and is so super creative (oh if I could remember where her blog is). I will actually be taking an American Sign Language class in a month! I'm very excited.

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Oh I thought Smuckers was looking for baby sign language.

Anyway here are the letters in Arabic sign language.

http://www.arabic-language.org/arabic/signlanguage.asp

Also here is an article about the ASHOKA Organization:

March 2005

Time for a Change

Ashoka, a non-governmental organization, gives new hope to ambitious social entrepreneurs with big plans to realize

By Aida Nasr

http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=4469

With a contact:

http://www.ashoka.org/contact/mena

Not really belonging to the topic but there are quite a few Disability Organizations out in Egypt. Take a look:

http://miusa.org/ncde/spotlight/muslimdisability/muslimdpos

tina kamal
Member # 13845
 - posted
well im kinda from the 80's and in louisiana they taight us the basics in singing in the 7th grade do they do that nowa days too?

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
well im kinda from the 80's and in louisiana they taight us the basics in singing in the 7th grade do they do that nowa days too?

Hey, I haven't see you on here for a while! What have you been up to? [Smile]

Korvin's
Member # 14099
 - posted
When I was a kid I wished to be a teacher for retarded kids and I kept that dream for quite long time but when it came to graduation in high school I changed my views of the world at that critical time ....

cairobug
Member # 10571
 - posted
Korvin, I'm not sure what it is that you do, but if you happen to be an engineer (or someone out there that is reading is) the streets and buildings really need to be made alot more handicap-friendly! You reminded me of kids with cerebral palsy, who are not retarded, but some are in wheelchairs and their poor mothers have to carry them all over the place.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com