EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Ishango Bone » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371
 - posted
Posted by Nesben over at ESR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyduQYmlowM&feature=feedf
I first came across it in a book called Blacks In Science Ancient and Modern by edited by Ivan Sertima also it showed that system of counting spreading north into Kemet and West towards the Niger I had try to make a case that the Great Lakes regions in central Africa was bound to have been one of the cultural incubators of the making of Kemet.

They should not take the artifact into space that's nonsense it should be protected and shown to the public a replica should be used instead.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=polysci&thread=783&page=1#ixzz1MPyVb4tr

Sundjata
Member # 13096
 - posted
^Wow, I've heard about the Ishango bone but never heard about the connection with the development of Egyptian mathematics. Good post Brada and big ups to Nesben! I'd like to read more on this, perhaps track down a publication from the lead archaeologists who mention this. [Smile]

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
The Ishango bone was discussed here some years back but it's been so long ago I can't locate the original thread. I will say that the bone is perhaps the oldest evidence of a mathematical tool on earth. It's also interesting that many scholars believe the bone represented a six month lunar calendar and some think that it was used by a woman to track her menstrual cycle.

Calabooz'
Member # 18238
 - posted
Just found this article:

The role of mathematics and scientific thought in Africa: A Renaissance perspective

Authors: Daniel Thanyani Rambane and Mashudu C. Mashige

International Journal of African Renaissance Studies - Multi-, Inter- and Transdisciplinarity
Volume 2, Issue 2, 2007, Pages 183 - 199

Abstract:

quote:
This article examines the centrality of mathematics and scientific thought in the sociocultural, human and intellectual development of a sampling of African societies. Evidence is presented which refutes the theory that Africans had no 'intelligible sense of numeracy' before contact with the West, and demonstrates that the propagation of this myth was part of the larger colonial project to marginalise and 'other-ise' African knowledge systems. Tracing Africa's early contributions to mathematics and scientific thought forces a shift from the standard Western-based approach to pedagogy in this field. It renders a subject that is perceived and presented as alien to African culture, more accessible to African learners. And ultimately, acknowledging the long history of mathematics and scientific thought in Africa is a step in foregrounding African epistemologies in knowledge production, human and social development and towards the realisation of the African Renaissance.
It looks into the logical mathematics of African games, Sand drawing, riddles/puzzles etc.,

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com