EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Interview: Sally-Ann Ashton, PhD (6/9/2020)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interview: Sally-Ann Ashton, PhD (6/9/2020)
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

SHOW LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRxDHb0Ue8

Join us this Tuesday June 9th at 1PM Eastern (6PM London) as we welcome to the program Dr. Sally-Ann Ashton, Egyptologist/Psychologist. We will discuss a wide variety of topics including her research in Egyptology, the African character of the Egyptians, her time at the British Museum, her position as curator at the Fitzwilliam Museum, and her current transition in the field of psychology. This is a dynamic guest and we are glad to have her on the program. So like, set your reminder, and share with friends and colleagues.

In the meantime, GET YOUR COPY TODAY!
Towards a Comparative Dictionary of CIkam and Modern African Languages (2020): http://asarimhotep.com/shop-market/books/towards-a-comparative-dictionary-of-cikam-and-modern-african-languages

Aaluja Vol. II: Cyena-Ntu Religion and Philosophy (2020). : https://asarimhotep.com/shop-market/books/aaluja-vol-ii-cyena-ntu-religion-and-philosophy

To continue to support this channel, please consider donating with Cash App:
CashApp: $asarimhotep

Visit me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/imhotep06
Visit me on Instagram: imhotep1906
My webpage: http://asarimhotep.com

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow another one so soon?

-

Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, I already submitted.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will try my best to keep em coming.

quote:
Originally posted by Ase:
Wow another one so soon?

-

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Just a reminder that this show is today at 1PM Eastern standard time (U.S.) and 6PM London time. Hope to see you there.
Karem
Member # 22585

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for doing this interview. Very interesting discussion, and I'm going to have to listen to it a few times and in instalments.

As someone whose also worked in the Criminal Justice system in the UK, I would of been interested to know more about identity formation and offending in relation to Kemet - to what extent does a skewed version of history (i.e. where emphasis is on slavery not Kemet), not material poverty and lack of adequate resources produce a faulty identity, and to what extent does presenting Kemet in its African context solidly improve things for people of African descent, specifically those labelled 'offenders' ?

Posts: 61 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great show!
quote:
Originally posted by Asar Imhotep:
Just a reminder that this show is today at 1PM Eastern standard time (U.S.) and 6PM London time. Hope to see you there.

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karem
Member # 22585

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having had listened through again, the impression Im left with is that she focuses the issue of racial inequality and offending on culture and identity rather than structural inequalities. Theres mention of museums being white middle class (and colonial) spaces, but I would like to know more about how this links to policy and structural inequalities ie how do working class Black and non-white people benefit from middle class spaces like galleries and museums including them, and why do ordinary people need some sort of validation from the bourgeoise (people working in arts, academia and therapy) ?
Posts: 61 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Thank you for your commentary and questions. As it regards your first statements, the show wasn't about structural inequality and wasn't meant to answer questions along those lines. A simple answer would be to start your own Egyptian museum where you control the politics and resources. But given that most of the artifacts have already been unearthed from Egypt, and are already housed in various museums, if you want to view and study primary artifacts, you have to go to these spaces to do so.

Secondly, there are a number of benefits to people visiting museums. But none of them will benefit anyone (poor or rich) if you aren't intellectually astute and hungry for knowledge. That's like asking, "What purpose does a library serve poor people?" We have to be a bit more wiser than this. The first benefit is to satisfy a wisdom seeker's curiosity. From there they may be inspired to learn more about history, or themselves, and create history themselves. Museums house the relics and expressions of humanity's greatest minds and artists and we display these things to inspire a new generation to follow in their footsteps. So if you don't see the benefit of these spaces, especially since most museums have at least one day that is open to the public for free (usually Tuesdays) then there is not much we can say here.

quote:
Originally posted by Karem:
Having had listened through again, the impression Im left with is that she focuses the issue of racial inequality and offending on culture and identity rather than structural inequalities. Theres mention of museums being white middle class (and colonial) spaces, but I would like to know more about how this links to policy and structural inequalities ie how do working class Black and non-white people benefit from middle class spaces like galleries and museums including them, and why do ordinary people need some sort of validation from the bourgeoise (people working in arts, academia and therapy) ?

Karem
Member # 22585

Rate Member
Thats ok, and thanks for doing the interview.

the show wasn't about structural inequality and wasn't meant to answer questions along those lines. 

I assumed that its in Dr Ashtons capacity as psychologist that she works in the therapy industry with marginalized groups (offenders) so thought there would be discussion regarding structural inequalities as this disproportionately impacts them. Instead it felt like she was implying the causes of racial inequalities are cultural.

Museums house the relics and expressions of humanity's greatest minds and artists and we display these things to inspire a new generation to follow in their footsteps. So if you don't see the benefit of these spaces, especially since most museums have at least one day that is open to the public for free (usually Tuesdays) then there is not much we can say here.

Indeed, and its not that I dont see the potential benefits of this, but Im also not sure placing culture in the centre of conversations about racial inequality is useful, plus not sure to what extent Egyptology, which is an elite white interest rooted in colonialism can help marginalized people.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ase:
Wow another one so soon?

-

Ase/Oshun had the best memes.
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com