EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Another Question about Hijab

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Question about Hijab
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 5 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering how many women hear wear hijab? And what do you think of women who don't?

How am I regarded, as a Western woman, by Muslims (men and women) when I go to Egypt wearing loose-fitting attire, long sleeves/pants/skirts, basically covered from the neck down? Is there less respect for me?

Just curious.....

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
star44
Member # 7970

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for star44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience as Western woman visiting Egypt (covered up – jeans and top covering my arms) was that I still got attention. I am not really sure I would call it a lack of respect, but just lots of offers and innuendo directed toward me. I also got a lot of men hissing at me, which I was quite insulted about at the time, but was later told that this is a way of getting attention from someone?? Not sure how accurate this is??

Men thought it acceptable to approach me to ask if I am single, and I got the impression they thought I would be interested in sex. I think that might have been partly due to the fact that I was travelling with a female companion and without a male, therefore they may have thought that I was quite uninhibited, despite my conservative dress. I am unsure whether they would approach a woman wearing the hijab the same way?

Although having said that, many of the men that did approach showed a good sense of humour about things and meant no harm, however a few came across as quite menacing.

But then again, I went as a tourist…I’m not sure about whether this makes a difference if you are living there? I still had a good trip, but I felt very restricted to move about as I normally would due to the male attention.

[This message has been edited by star44 (edited 25 July 2005).]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Snoozin, whatever you wear, you will remain a foreigner to people in the street, which means you have lower values than an Egyptian woman, and that's why you will be stared at anywhere you go, and some men will come to you and ask you if you're a single, etc... just as Star said. I used to work with a very nice lady, married to an Egyptian for 30 years and living there for 20 years, who told me she still had this kind of remarks. So, yes, for all these ignorant people in the street, you will always be considered as someone who doesn't deserve respect.
As for your husband's relatives, no, if they know you're a muslim, it will be enough for them: wearing hidjab is not an easy decision, and people know it takes time to decide to wear it. So they will never think you're a bad muslim or something, it's really up to you to wear it ot not.
Back to people in the street, wearing hidjab will not prevent you from harrassement anyway, my veiled friends receive the same treatement as non veiled ones.

In Egypt now, there is a majority of veiled women, which wasn't the case 20 years ago. The country is becoming more religious. But you will also see all these young girls wearing hidjab and in the same time very tight jeans and tops, and wearing a lot of make up...
Hope it helps!
Rania

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Snoozin,

From what I have noticed over the last few years here, there seems to be two opposite trends among young women, one group of women seem to be getting less conservative in their dress and wearing tighter and more revealing clothes, I don’t remember seeing stomachs, thighs, or armpits when I first came here; and the other group is starting not only to move to wearing a headscarf over anything from tight figure hugging clothes to looser clothes and abayas (coats), but also more women are starting to wear all black clothing with a niqab (face veil). And both of these trends are happening at the same time.

Personally I would be surprised to see a non-Muslim woman wearing hijab and would think it pretty strange; it would look false and as if they were “dressing up”, to me. It would probably be more relevant for Egyptians to answer the second part of your question as mine would only be supposition, but I have noticed that as I do not spend a lot of time with non-Muslim foreigners here in Egypt, when I am in downtown Cairo I do notice that even my own eye is caught when I see a foreigner. They seem to stand out, even if they are dressed conservatively, either by the colour of their skin, their walk and body language, the style of clothes or shoes they are wearing, their back-packs, cameras, referring to guidebooks, or whatever. Any country that I have been in, where they don’t have a big multiracial population, people who look different attract attention, and the type of attention that is shown is often dependent on the level of sophistication of the people. And from what I gather the same applies here too, and it seems to vary from idle curiosity, to a strange sort of admiration sometimes, to regarding you as easy or a chance to make a fast profit. A lot of what happens after that is how you respond.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptfind
Member # 7388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptfind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered why is this.
It's such a racist way of thinking that it astonishes me.
Egyptian values must be revisioned too in certain aspects...I sometimes perceive a starting moral bankruptcy in egyptian society.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RaniaMe:
[B]You know, Snoozin, whatever you wear, you will remain a foreigner to people in the street, which means you have lower values than an Egyptian woman.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eman
Member # 8360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoozin,

I'm a Westerner living out here, married with a baby, wearing hijab, and I still get comments, looks etc.

I think to be honest, probably more people stare now I wear hijab than before - before I just looked like a tourist, but more modestly dressed - now to them I look like a tourist wearing hijab. There have been times I have gone out in niqab, to avoid all of this. Now I'm kind of sitting on the fence between hijab & niqab, trying to decide which is best for me.

its like RaniaMe said - if you're a foreigner, you're a foreigner. And I think its right that no matter how long you live here, a lot of people (in Upper Egypt anyway) will still see you as a foreigner/tourist and treat you accordingly.

Posts: 12 | From: Luxor, egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your comment Eman.

I hate these words, these kisses, this way we are looked at...I find it disgusting.
As for being stared at though, we should remember Egyptians in our respective countries are stared at too. I mean, as long as our color differs, people always look at you as a stranger, no matter how long you've been living in the country. It's a bad habit I used to have too, but since I have been so stared at in Egypt, when I come back to my country, I really do my best to stop looking at people who look "different".

Eman, may I ask you something? Are you wearing your hijab in your home country too? (I'm telling you this because some of my veiled foreign friends take them off when they're back home). Isn't it a problem with your family? Thanks a lot for replying!

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eman
Member # 8360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RaniaMe:

I haven't been home since I came to live out here, but I think (hope) that when I do go back to the UK for a holiday anytime, that I would have the courage (is that the right word?) to do the same as I do here. This is who I am now, so thats what people have to accept. My family aren't really a problem - they don't really understand, but they accept my choices.

I totally agree with what you said about we all look at what is different - its just not something I really realised when I was growing up, because where I came from was very small, and there were no minorities etc. Now if I'm honest, I guess I tend to do the same, but like you, I try to stop myself, cos I don't like it being done to me.

Posts: 12 | From: Luxor, egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please guys i want to add something very important. every egyptian woman i know and that includes me has complained from harrasment bitteryly. i can't remember walking around the street without having whistling, hissing and catcalling thrown at me. it has nothing to do with nationality. it also has nothing to do with the veil. personally i'm not veiled and ive noticed that whatever i wear gets comments. weather i'm bearing my arms and legs or weather i'm waring loose clothes that cover my entire body. and you know what? my veiled friends complain from the harrasing just as much. i made a reasearch paper about harrasment before, and every single veield woman complained bitterly. the harrasment in the streets its not really about sex or at least mostly not. i think it is a symptom of so many other problems in our society. but this is anotehr topic.
as for your question snoozin, well i really resepct veiled women. i do not in any way believe that the veil is repressive. my problem however is the attitude of both the veield women and the society. unfortunatly many muslims in general and in egypt in particular believe that if they do the islamic rituals which include praying, fasting, and donning the veil then they are "very religous". people forget that islam is so much more than the rituals. islam means being polite, kind, helpful, a good neighbour, a hard worker, honest, loving etc. but here in egypt women think that all they need to do is put the veil and now they are all set. how many veield women have i seen being agressive and rude? how many veield women have pushed me in the street? how many times i have went to a ministry and the veiled women there have rudely refused to do my paperwork?. please do not think that i'm saying that all veield women are like that. i'm just saying that in egypt we tend to simplify religion believing that just being veild means that god holds you in a high status.
another aspect that really bothers me is that veiled women feel that they need to "advise" any non veield woman. my sister in law was just telling me that a group of veield women surrounded her in a wedding and lectured her about the veild. and when she argued with them they told her she has the devil is in her (el shaytan rakabha) what on earth is that? who said that just because they are veield than they are better than me just because i'm not? maybe i'm nicer, kinder, sweeter, maybe god thinks i'm a better person? why do they make those assumptions?
and just like the veil is a fard, well so is patience, kindness and treating people nicely they are all fards. why are we cocentrating only on the rituals.
people are always saying that egypt is becoming religous. well i'm sorry egypt is far from religous. yeah the women are veield and people pray but where is the rest and vital part of our beautiful religion? where are the morals and values our prophet instructed us to hold?
as for the niqab i dont think its a fard infact it think its scary and impractical and islam is a practical religion. eman please do not put the niqab!!!

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
please guys i want to add something very important. every egyptian woman i know and that includes me has complained from harrasment bitteryly. i can't remember walking around the street without having whistling, hissing and catcalling thrown at me. it has nothing to do with nationality. it also has nothing to do with the veil.

Interesting. After I posted that, I was thinking, "well it's not like *American* men *here* don't say inappropriate stuff! Because they do! Usually lower-class kind of men. But I've had it happen at work, too. I give them a real dressing down and they shut up.

I suppose the issue is I know how to handle it here. I know I'm generally respected here. I don't know how I'll be viewed/treated in Egypt. But I'm an attorney for goodness' sake! How conservative in dress can you get?? :-)

Thank you all for your observations, though. Even with the bad points, it still makes me like Egypt more. :-)

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eman
Member # 8360

Rate Member
7aya,

you are 100% correct in what you say. I thought that sometimes people were rude to me because I was a foreigner etc, but obviously not!

I think some people do get so hung up on the external aspects of the religion that they forget the other things - as you said kindness etc. which are just as important.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum 7aya!

It seems to work both ways, some Muslimahs who wear hijab try to persuade others to wear it too and those who don’t try to dissuade others. When I first started wearing it there were several women who tried to stop me telling me that it wasn’t necessary, I should wait until after marriage, all my hair would fall out!, it doesn’t look nice/modern, you will never find a good job, etc. etc. and you don’t like niqab so you are trying to dissuade Eman. But it seemed a bit strange that you used the argument of niqab not being fard, so she doesn’t have to, and although you admit that hijab is fard you choose not to!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Assalamu alaykum 7aya!

It seems to work both ways, some Muslimahs who wear hijab try to persuade others to wear it too and those who don’t try to dissuade others. When I first started wearing it there were several women who tried to stop me telling me that it wasn’t necessary, I should wait until after marriage, all my hair would fall out!, it doesn’t look nice/modern, you will never find a good job, etc. etc. and you don’t like niqab so you are trying to dissuade Eman. But it seemed a bit strange that you used the argument of niqab not being fard, so she doesn’t have to, and although you admit that hijab is fard you choose not to!

well newcomer i told her not to wear the niqab because i think it is very dangerous and causes way too many problems. as for the higab well you know what?i dont even believe its a fard, but i didn't want to open a heated a discussion about that. and please do not start arguing about the higab with me, ive read the koran i know the verses about the higab, and i have made up my own decision just respect it please.
finally, newcomer, you have done what all these women i mentioned in my post do. you chose to comment on my lack of veil completely ignoring all the other aspects of my personality. i mean for all you know i might be the most impatient person in the world and patience is also a fard in islam, so why didn't you lecture me about that?

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

...because we were talking about hijab, not patience and although I have no idea about your actual real-life personality I do know that you don't wear hijab, because you have said so several times, and it was you who mentioned about it being fard. I didn't lecture, nor do I intend to get into a long discussion on that subject again, I just asked why you differentiated between the two.
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
I was just wondering how many women hear wear hijab? And what do you think of women who don't?

How am I regarded, as a Western woman, by Muslims (men and women) when I go to Egypt wearing loose-fitting attire, long sleeves/pants/skirts, basically covered from the neck down? Is there less respect for me?

Just curious.....

First of all, It's very refreshing to see people asking about what's apropriate when visiting another country which speak of how much respect you have for others. Much of the misunderstanding Egyptians have about others would vanish if many people followed the same approach.

There are two kind of staring, that which is normal in every country due to differnces and the other which happen mostly by the young Egyptian men to pretty girls or the ones wearing tight or revealing clothes, You can rest your mind and consider them some animals (as most do), but if you're into understanding things then knowing that most of them are un employed, can't afford marriage and at the same time try not to commit a major sin like fornication puts them in a big dillema between their natural desires and culture or religion. Things would have been exactly the same in the west if it was as difficult as here for men to make relationships.Sometimes it's one of the ways to make a relationship as some girls sometimes do respond positivly to that kind of staring. Another point to keep in mind is that Egyptians understand that westerners are more opned to others than Egyptian women and while this could be true, still most confuse being opned to others with having no limits in this openess.Also Egyptians like to talk to forigners out of curiosity.

The way you dress will ave you much troubles, and if you are in the process of buying clothes specially for this visit you ma consider saving most of the shopping untill you come here and then you will know what exactly you want and I guess things here might be cheaper and also nice.

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:

First of all, It's very refreshing to see people asking about what's apropriate when visiting another country which speak of how much respect you have for others. Much of the misunderstanding Egyptians have about others would vanish if many people followed the same approach.

There are two kind of staring, that which is normal in every country due to differnces and the other which happen mostly by the young Egyptian men to pretty girls or the ones wearing tight or revealing clothes, You can rest your mind and consider them some animals (as most do), but if you're into understanding things then knowing that most of them are un employed, can't afford marriage and at the same time try not to commit a major sin like fornication puts them in a big dillema between their natural desires and culture or religion. Things would have been exactly the same in the west if it was as difficult as here for men to make relationships.Sometimes it's one of the ways to make a relationship as some girls sometimes do respond positivly to that kind of staring. Another point to keep in mind is that Egyptians understand that westerners are more opned to others than Egyptian women and while this could be true, still most confuse being opned to others with having no limits in this openess.Also Egyptians like to talk to forigners out of curiosity.

The way you dress will ave you much troubles, and if you are in the process of buying clothes specially for this visit you ma consider saving most of the shopping untill you come here and then you will know what exactly you want and I guess things here might be cheaper and also nice.

Thank you for your kind words, Troubles. I actually was in Egypt for a few weeks in June, and this is how I dressed. I *agonized* over what to wear, to attempt to respect the culture and to stay true to myself. So I ended up just wearing baggy clothes that I already had. I'm 38. It's not I like a dress like a teeny bopper anyway with belly button on full view.
:-) I personally feel uncomfortable when I see teenage girls here in the US with it all hanging out. I wouldn't want to make others uncomfortable like that. And I *did* find it weird to see European tourists at the pyramids and stuff wearing short shorts and little camisoles. Even though that's normal here too for younger women, it felt very out of context there.

I guess I am more concerned if I live there, that my appearance and my behavior don't cause any disrespect for my fiance and his family.

But you are right. Staring just because someone is different is natural. Where I live, 60% of the population is black, so I don't think anything of seeing an African American. When I was in Egypt, I think I only saw one person who looked of sub-saharan African ancestry and I caught myself staring at him, too, because he seemed so unusual for Cairo.

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
well newcomer i told her not to wear the niqab because i think it is very dangerous and causes way too many problems.

What's the difference between hijab and niqab? Is niqab the all-black veil with a face covering? Do you mean it's dangerous because the women have no peripheral vision? (That's what I was thinking when I saw them wearing it).

Thanks!

newcomer
Member # 1056

There are different definitions to both of these terms and it can get a bit confusing, but basically hijab is used for a scarf that covers the head, neck, and chest, and a niqab is a face covering. Colour isn't included in the definition. Many women seem to have no problems with periferal vision wearing niqab as you see many of them driving cars here in Cairo.
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
I totally agree with you 7aya. I'm taking the subway and the microbus and bus everyday, and how many times, even during Ramadan my God! (not even at the end of the day, in the early morning) fighting, being rude, violent, everything!, and most of them had the Quran in their hands! I was really shocked.
And when I converted, so many women told me I had to cover my hair, that I was wrong, that it was part of Islam...Thanks God, my family in law doesn't think this way. Everytime we are talking about this, they tell me, take your time, be sure of your decision, cause after, you can't take it off...I know I will wear it one day, but to me, the day I wear it, I want my heart to be pure, I want it to be the final step of my conversion. There are so many things I want to change in myself before taking it. But I met many Western women who decided to take it the first day, and these women, I really call them true Muslims, you can't imagine how strong is their faith mashallah!! It's so wonderful.
Everyone goes his one's pace I think, let's respect everyone's decision.
As for the Niqab, woww...Never thought of wearing such a thing. Have you ever tried to listen to a niqab girl in the street?? You can't hear what she says. She's not free, she can't move as she wants. And yeah, some of them are driving cars...so crazy...

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often thought of wearing a niquab... just so men would think there was somebody stunningly beautiful inside!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
I often thought of wearing a niquab... just so men would think there was somebody stunningly beautiful inside!!!

I have to say this really works. The mind of man has no limits

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
What's the difference between hijab and niqab? Is niqab the all-black veil with a face covering? Do you mean it's dangerous because the women have no peripheral vision? (That's what I was thinking when I saw them wearing it).

Thanks!

well its dangerous in many ways. for one you don't know who is behind it, you can't see their face. this is often used by criminals to hide their faces. even male criminals use it. i mean honestly can you tell if this is a man or a woman? further, in my university we had only one girl wearing the nikab. the university administration forbid her to enter with it. because how can the security know if she really is that girl, and how can the proffesros know that she is the one who is sitting for the exam and not someone else hiding under the face veil.anyway that girl was so stubborn she ended up spending the entire day holding a paper on her face to hide it. oh my.
let me tell you a little story that hit the newspapers a couple of years ago. a couple are married and have a small baby. one day the woamn tells her husband that her best friend who wears the niqab had gotten divorced and is very lonely and she will be sleeping over at their house a couple days of the week. she told him that ofcourse she wouldnt be able to leave her best friend sleep in their spare room alone and she would spend the nights with her.
anyway the husband agrees and the lady starts sleeping over at their house with his wife joining her ofcourse. and everything is fine. until one day the husband comes home early and find the "lady" is actually a man who is in bed with his wife! this is why i say it dangerous.
i'm not saying that every woman who wears the niqab is hiding something. im saying the niqab often acts as a camfoulage for people with very bad intentions. and that IS dangerous.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:

Thanks!

well its dangerous in many ways. for one you don't know who is behind it, you can't see their face. this is often used by criminals to hide their faces. even male criminals use it. i mean honestly can you tell if this is a man or a woman? further, in my university we had only one girl wearing the nikab. the university administration forbid her to enter with it. because how can the security know if she really is that girl, and how can the proffesros know that she is the one who is sitting for the exam and not someone else hiding under the face veil.anyway that girl was so stubborn she ended up spending the entire day holding a paper on her face to hide it. oh my.
let me tell you a little story that hit the newspapers a couple of years ago. a couple are married and have a small baby. one day the woamn tells her husband that her best friend who wears the niqab had gotten divorced and is very lonely and she will be sleeping over at their house a couple days of the week. she told him that ofcourse she wouldnt be able to leave her best friend sleep in their spare room alone and she would spend the nights with her.
anyway the husband agrees and the lady starts sleeping over at their house with his wife joining her ofcourse. and everything is fine. until one day the husband comes home early and find the "lady" is actually a man who is in bed with his wife! this is why i say it dangerous.
i'm not saying that every woman who wears the niqab is hiding something. im saying the niqab often acts as a camfoulage for people with very bad intentions. and that IS dangerous.
newcomer sorry for my agressive answer!

newcomer
Member # 1056

Thanks for that, I guess I hit a sensitive point! And I’m not going to get into a long argument about the pros and cons of niqab either, but just wanted to make a couple of points. In my pre-Islamic days we used to go out dancing to a club where there some cross-dressers used to go and there were many times these mini-skirted cross-dressers were approached by men who genuinely thought that they were women, even to the point of leaving with them. My point being that if someone wants to do something bad they will find a way to do it, they don't have to cover up to do it; it's not the fault of the niqab that it is being abused by some people.

Also if there was only one girl in the university who wore niqab, I would have thought it would be fairly easy for any half-decent professor to know their own student and if there was any danger of them being an imposter they could be checked by female security agents, as they are at airports. I have heard a lot of the arguments AUC give for this policy, but most of them don’t seem very strong to me.

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Thanks for that, I guess I hit a sensitive point! And I’m not going to get into a long argument about the pros and cons of niqab either, but just wanted to make a couple of points. In my pre-Islamic days we used to go out dancing to a club where there some cross-dressers used to go and there were many times these mini-skirted cross-dressers were approached by men who genuinely thought that they were women, even to the point of leaving with them. My point being that if someone wants to do something bad they will find a way to do it, they don't have to cover up to do it; it's not the fault of the niqab that it is being abused by some people.

Also if there was only one girl in the university who wore niqab, I would have thought it would be fairly easy for any half-decent professor to know their own student and if there was any danger of them being an imposter they could be checked by female security agents, as they are at airports. I have heard a lot of the arguments AUC give for this policy, but most of them don’t seem very strong to me.

At my University we had a lady who would take the niqab girl to an office and look at her face.

I can understand someone rejecting Niqab for personal choice but portraaying girls who go with Khimar or Niqab in such a bad way is absurd. Hijabi women represent most of the girls of our societies and it's very possible to find good and bad between them however their bad is usually more magnified by people than the bad done by other girls as they usualy are expected to have the highest morals. Just like how bearded men face much bias and pressure and when one of them is being bad, it becomes an every day story and will usually be generalized.Needless to speak about how badly our Movies usually portray them.

If the woman mentioned wanted to cheat her husband she will do it anyway and it's her fault not the fault of the thing other people wear, right?!

Isis83
Member # 8438

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Isis83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hi! Just curious in regards to this...
Is it part of Arab society to wear the niqab or is it part just Saudi society? I always thought the more you cover up the more curious men will become to find out what's under it all (not that showing everything is better)!! I feel I dress very conservatively. I usually wear the Indian Salwaar kameez suit (long top, pants and scarf). What is the "common conservative" dress in Egypt? Maybe a nieve question! But please do give ur views on this! Thanx

Posts: 94 | From: India | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi Isis!

The origins of the niqab come from Islam as there are Hadith that describe the early Muslims wearing them, although some people say that it was introduced later. Some scholars of Islam say it is obligatory, others that it is preferable, and others say it is not part of Islam. Until Hoda Sha’arawi took hers off in public at the beginning of the last century, I think it was, it was what all “decent” women in Egypt all used to wear. Nowadays it is more commonly seen in Saudi Arabia, but its use is spreading throughout the Muslim world and even among Muslim minorities in the West.

Common conservative dress here in Egypt, especially for non-Muslim woman is generally seen as western style loose, non-see through clothing that covers the knees, upper arm, and chest.

Isis83
Member # 8438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isis83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx a lot newcomer for explaining that! Much appreciated!!
Posts: 94 | From: India | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Isis83:
Hi! Just curious in regards to this...
Is it part of Arab society to wear the niqab or is it part just Saudi society? I always thought the more you cover up the more curious men will become to find out what's under it all (not that showing everything is better)!! I feel I dress very conservatively. I usually wear the Indian Salwaar kameez suit (long top, pants and scarf). What is the "common conservative" dress in Egypt? Maybe a nieve question! But please do give ur views on this! Thanx

Love the shalwaar kameez! :-) It looks so comfortable, traditional and trendy at the same time.

Isis83
Member # 8438

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Isis83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Love the shalwaar kameez! :-) It looks so comfortable, traditional and trendy at the same time.

Hey Snoozin!
Does anyone wear salwaars over there? Just curious to know if Indian fashion has caught on there too and not just in the "west" with the Indo-Western styles...
Caio!

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Isis83:
Hey Snoozin!
Does anyone wear salwaars over there? Just curious to know if Indian fashion has caught on there too and not just in the "west" with the Indo-Western styles...
Caio!

Some younger western women here in the DC area wear it. Not a lot. But by far the largest immigrant group here in my neighborhood growing up were Indians and Pakistanis, so it *feels* like home to me.

Isis83
Member # 8438

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Isis83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some younger western women here in the DC area wear it. Not a lot. But by far the largest immigrant group here in my neighborhood growing up were Indians and Pakistanis, so it *feels* like home to me.

Ok, thanx for the info! Really interesting!

dawn4ever
Member # 8216

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dawn4ever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Just curious.....

hi snoozin

first here in egypt many many egyptian women wear the hijab..so basically any egyptian woman that wear unrespetable tight or short dresses that makes her look sexy, and let the ppl in street to look at her ! she will be unrespected by ppl and she will be totally criticized by most of egyptians.

but inspite of this, there are many egyptian muslim woman that wear un appropriate clothes !

but for the foriegners, it's a different situation, because we know that their customs and habits are different from us..

so we give them some sort of excuse to wear anything but within limits ! but for an arabic muslim woman it's some how criticized !

but unfortunately there are many foriegners that do many criticized actions.as walking topless in the hotels and i ve heard that they may become naked in the beaches!!!

but for any foriegner that will respect the culture and habits of egypt and wear descent ,respetable clothes, sure she will be highly appreciated and respected by the all !!

i think it's very nice to respect one's culture and customs.

that's it

Posts: 56 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RaniaMe:
You know, Snoozin, whatever you wear, you will remain a foreigner to people in the street, which means you have lower values than an Egyptian woman, and that's why you will be stared at anywhere you go, and some men will come to you and ask you if you're a single, etc... just as Star said. I used to work with a very nice lady, married to an Egyptian for 30 years and living there for 20 years, who told me she still had this kind of remarks. So, yes, for all these ignorant people in the street, you will always be considered as someone who doesn't deserve respect.

I agree completely but I'd like to add that while wearing decent clothes will hardly make a difference in the way you will be treated wearing a veil does. It seems that a hijab gives a certain message that even the most ignorant people usually tend to respect.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dawn4ever:
but for any foriegner that will respect the culture and habits of egypt and wear descent ,respetable clothes, sure she will be highly appreciated and respected by the all !!

As I said in my previous post - unfortunately that's not true at all!!!

I can walk the streets wearing a sack (meaning wide linen pants and knee-length shirts) while right beside me there are Egyptian girls ten years younger than me and wearing skintight jeans and tops – still I will be the one getting harrassed. Very annoying!

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 07 August 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

U are an really funny too LOL

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com