EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » mocking religious figures?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mocking religious figures?
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As people toss around the idea of public mockery of religious figures, some have suggested that "The West", whatever that is, wouldn't accept a disrespectful representation of Christian figures.
Welllll,

"NBC, fresh from giving us the anti-Christian The Book of Daniel, has decided to hit back at the Christian community by presenting an episode of Will and Grace which mocks the crucifixion of Christ.

On the April 13 edition of NBC's Will and Grace, Britney Spears will appear as a Christian conservative sidekick to Sean Hayes' homosexual character, Jack, who hosts his own talk show.

Jack's fictional network, Out TV, is bought by a Christian TV network, leading to Spears contributing a cooking segment called "Cruci-fixin's." To further denigrate Christianity, NBC chose to air it the night before Good Friday."

"NBC does not treat Jews, Muslims or other religions with such disrespect. Yet the network demonstrates a deep of hostility toward followers of Christ."

This info was gathered from AP reports and placed on an American Family Association website, which openly admits to being Christian minded. I agree with its statement.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Doubtfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All religious mockery is merely distasteful and it doesnt matter whether it is Christian, Muslim, Hindoo, or Jewish or any other religion.

Because of the idea of free expression and freespeech in the West, we are able to tolerate such satyre for what it is - merely the opinion of the author. It doesnt mean that we should like it, or even accept it. We are entitled to make complaints about such material.

However, I do tend to think that the Muslims have gone a bit overboard in their rejection of the Prophet Cartoons, but then they have just as much "right" to react as the person did who wrote it. However, the entire thing has got out of hand, which only goes to show just how distasteful these things can be in certain circumstances and to certain peoples.

If one is wise, I suggest that these particular cartoonists should change their career as they dont seem particularly suited to it.

Posts: 304 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two wrongs dont make a right queenbee
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Printing the cartoons was not wrong 7ayat. It may have been offensive to some people but that is just part of life.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not believe that two wrongs make a right, I posted that because people were repeating a mistruth, that being that Christians and Jews would never let the media treat their prophets like this.
And, of course, they often do, and sometimes protest.
I think the cartoons and most religious "mockery" is obnoxious. The struggle is not between good moslems and good christians, but between people of faith and people who have no faith.
FOOTNOTE:
The above episode was CANCELLED after significant protest (internet based and peaceful) and pressure from many people, again peaceful. "The Book of Daniel" an offensive drama was also cancelled, amid strong protest (not in the streets.)

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
Printing the cartoons was not wrong 7ayat. It may have been offensive to some people but that is just part of life.

but cartoons of the holocaust would be wrong ? what would you call that hor? id call it double standards!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
"Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy" okay, fairness, objectivity, and I don't mind adding good taste to the expectations for good journalism or reporting.
I don't approve of the NY Times putting photos of war dead, their side or ours, on the FRONT page. Maybe page 3, but we don't need schoolkids looking at that.
Also, I don't approve of editors publishing offensive material SIMPLY TO OFFEND, as some of the Eurotrash papers did after protests first began about the "cartoons."
However, in the interest of objective reporting and fair treatment of the issue at hand, there may have been a necessity for the paper to illustrate the story with the actual cartoons. However, I don't think this is how it was done - but I didn't see the whole paper.

dream123456
Member # 9287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dream123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Doubtfire:
All religious mockery is merely distasteful and it doesnt matter whether it is Christian, Muslim, Hindoo, or Jewish or any other religion.

Because of the idea of free expression and freespeech in the West, we are able to tolerate such satyre for what it is - merely the opinion of the author. It doesnt mean that we should like it, or even accept it. We are entitled to make complaints about such material.

However, I do tend to think that the Muslims have gone a bit overboard in their rejection of the Prophet Cartoons, but then they have just as much "right" to react as the person did who wrote it. However, the entire thing has got out of hand, which only goes to show just how distasteful these things can be in certain circumstances and to certain peoples.

If one is wise, I suggest that these particular cartoonists should change their career as they dont seem particularly suited to it.

First time I agree with you Mrs.Doubtfire !
Posts: 1022 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicMushroom
Member # 9531

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicMushroom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the first time also I agree with Mrs D. Religion is always a very sensitive area to be subjected to jokes. If anyone were to change their career though I think it should be the Editors who allowed the publications, because at the end of the day, the buck stops with them.
MM

Posts: 33 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a wholeharted christian but i can also enjoy the satirical input by drawings or movies. I especially liked 'The life of Brian' ('always look at the bright sight of life'!:-), 'Jesus Christ Superstar' (that arrose a lot of protest in that time for portraying Jesus like a hippie) and other religious mockery. I find it to be very educational at times and overall a good prevention from taking oneself to serious in the light of eternity.
I can have a very good night joking around with my family (some of whom are fundamental christians) mocking about the cultural ways we live our highly appreciated believe. Maybe it is just a luxury some folks cannot afford.

Demiana

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- magnouna khales taralaly:
quote:

but cartoons of the holocaust would be wrong ? what would you call that hor? id call it double standards!
nice one...well said..

where is horemb? [Confused]

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one would kill you over picturing the holocaust.

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dream123456
Member # 9287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dream123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah they might kill you if you try to get your land back only which is your right .. that they have taken from you
Posts: 1022 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
bibo, Life is not always fair. Without even taking sides in the argument lets look at reality...the land is lost. It has been lost for decades. I always use the example of the souix Indians, they would probably like to have South Dokata back but they are not going to get it....ever.
You are right though...if you try to get the land back, they will kill you and the United states and United Nations will help them.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw bits and pieces of the Book of Daniel TV show and it was comical. It was not anti-Christian at all. Far from it. It exposed a hypocracy that is tolerated in society.
There are those who profess to be Christians but they use and abuse like any other. They may be less abusive but situaltional ethics in any religion is bogus.

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
All religion is cultural yazid, that is the reason we have it.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Prime-minister Almadinejad, from Iran had recently, in a speech, extensively questioned the killing of 6 million jews and others in ww2 (scientific fact, no myth, living people still suffering the consequences).
So the Dutch interviewer, asked why Iraniens are responding this violent over an observed hurtfull act, a drawing, towards their beloved prophet, where they don't try to avoid hurting westerners in telling these lies about the holocaust.
The representative of the Iranian gouvernment that was interviewed just mentioned: "no-one responded to be hurt to us!":-)

Of course this is not ment to be a double-standard!:-)

Demiana

--------------------

TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
bibo, Life is not always fair.
You are right though...if you try to get the land back, they will kill you and the United states and United Nations will help them.

you forgot to add:
if america tries to put its nose in the affairs of the muslim, and steer up trouble.....
bin laden/qaida/hamas/wateva/muslims?/etc will kill you

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Doubtfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Satyre of religious figures is not a new thing. Even Josephus described Jesus as a hunchbacked 4' black dwarf with a long beard and stick! Christians in the main are able to tolerate Christian jokes. Dave Allen the comendian had a particular thing about Catholics, the Pope and Jesus Christ, and was very popular with most people. On the other hand there are those like Mary Whitehouse, for example, who would scream "blashphemy" at the slightest opportunity.

All people have their point of view, but what is so sad in the case of the Mahummad cartoons is the way that people of Muslim persuasion have reacted to it. There has been nothing but carnage, killing and wholesale destruction of the fabric of society in some places. Now, I ask you - is this the religion of Peace and the way God would want us to behave?

In my view, the over-reaction to these cartoons is not of God at all, but of the ego and pride of man. Now God is not concerned with the ego, nor with pride, nor with killing and carnage and destruction of property in HIS name. Now, really, where is this "religion of Peace", where is the tolerance and mercy Islamists are always on about?

Posts: 304 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Doubtfire:
Satyre of religious figures is not a new thing. Even Josephus described Jesus as a hunchbacked 4' black dwarf with a long beard and stick! Christians in the main are able to tolerate Christian jokes. Dave Allen the comendian had a particular thing about Catholics, the Pope and Jesus Christ, and was very popular with most people. On the other hand there are those like Mary Whitehouse, for example, who would scream "blashphemy" at the slightest opportunity.

All people have their point of view, but what is so sad in the case of the Mahummad cartoons is the way that people of Muslim persuasion have reacted to it. There has been nothing but carnage, killing and wholesale destruction of the fabric of society in some places. Now, I ask you - is this the religion of Peace and the way God would want us to behave?

In my view, the over-reaction to these cartoons is not of God at all, but of the ego and pride of man. Now God is not concerned with the ego, nor with pride, nor with killing and carnage and destruction of property in HIS name. Now, really, where is this "religion of Peace", where is the tolerance and mercy Islamists are always on about?

1.you cannot comaper chritistan, or any other religoin with islam....

2. the "religion of peace" being represtend with islam is not wholly true, cos this is sufi influences.... islam means submission to God

3. it not pride of men, ot pride of their religoin.
however, i do agree with you, that the matter could have been handled in a better way.
but this is only the beginning, this is a new learning curve for the muslim.

muslim have not been united in such away before...maybe it wasnt the best of unity...but it is a start..and maybe the muslim can learn from this...and learn form their religion...

Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
All religions are "comparative" otherwise they would all be exactly the same which they clearly are not!

If Islam means "submission to God", then let them submit to Him and not to religious pride which, after all, is a human failing, not a Godly one.

If all killing, carnage, and destruction of social well-being and good order, the intentional destruction of other peoples property be an evil thing - then it is not of the mind of God at all. For it says in the Koran that if any good happen to a man, then it is from God, but if any evil befall a man, then it is from his self.

Surely, it is not necessary for Mrs. Doubtfire to explain this to rational intelligent beings. Nevertheless, evil is from the ego of man and all good is from God. The Koran is quite clear on that, so no other "interpretation" is possible. [Big Grin]

dream123456
Member # 9287

Rate Member
If you let any one insult you and disgrace you or what you diginify and you stand still .. then you can say "So long" to what you are standing for .. some Muslims "and a big sum of them in fact" are willing to starve to death and no one insults his prophet .. some can accept it on themselves but not on there Mohamed or any other prophet (PBUT).
Islam never said to accept humilation in fact god had ordered us to stand for islam and its dignity and please it is not you whom can explain to us Quran. Not you at all

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com