EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » concentrating during prayer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: concentrating during prayer
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello everyone how are you? elhamdullelah i've been praying regularly for 10 years now. i care alot about my prayers, and rarely miss a fard. but the problem is i find it very difficult to concentrate while i'm praying, absolutly no khshoo3. i find myself thinking of al sorts of things like what i will do next, or a book i read, or a problem i have, or a chat i had with my friend. the problem became so bad lately that sometimes my lack of attention makes me forget which rak3a i'm in, and if you ask me which suras i said during prayer i wont remember, because i wasn't concentrating! its like my mind is programmed to say the words, but my mind is another far away world!
now this really bothers me, and i want to change it! so does anyone here have tips on how to improve focus during prayer, and have more khsoo3? thank you so much [Smile]

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i get that a lot too, sometimes its hard to concentrate. I found a good help is to close my eyes during prayers, imagine its just me and the universe and Allah, imagine also you are praying with all the prophets praying alongside you, that sometimes helps. [Big Grin] good luck

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
i get that a lot too, sometimes its hard to concentrate. I found a good help is to close my eyes during prayers, imagine its just me and the universe and Allah, imagine also you are praying with all the prophets praying alongside you, that sometimes helps. [Big Grin] good luck

thanks ayisha for your help. i think imagining that prophet mohamed (pbuh) is praying with me can really get my mind to focus. in ramadan sometimes i used to hold the quran and read from it while praying and that really helped. but i've been told that i can't read off the quran in any of the fards.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dream123456
Member # 9287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dream123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well you didn't get khosho7' ever in fard?
Posts: 1022 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum 7ayat!

You are not the only one in this position, most of us are affected in the same way, and we all have to work out ways to overcome the whispers.

Although closing eyes does help some people to concentrate during prayer, we are supposed to focus on the point of sujud when we are praying. Some scholars say that it is disliked to close the eyes while praying, although it is allowed. Ibn Qayyim said that if it doesn't affect your attention to keep them open, then it is preferred to do so; but if there is something in front of you that is distracting, then under those circumstances, it is not disliked.

One piece of advice that I was given to help concentration was that you should whisper the words under your breath, i.e. not so loud that someone can hear what you are saying. It is said that the actually expressing the words, rather than just moving the lips helps concentration. Other advice was to really prepare yourself properly for prayer, try to finish off what you are doing before you start to pray, eat if food is ready, go to the bathroom before you start, take a long time over ablution and concentrate when you are doing it. All this helps to prepare you mentally for praying, rather than doing it in a hurry when your mind is busy or distracted.

If you try learning some new surahs and recite them in your prayers, or recite ones that you don't usually use, that might help too.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
we alekum el salam newcomer, thank you so much for your tips! when i think about it i rarely look at the sujud point when i'm praying, ill try to do that from now on. also i need to learn new suras because i basically use the same ones i've been using for years! thank you so much for your help as usual!
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7ayat, i am not a muslimah, and i don't know very much about your routine when you're praying... but i think if you'll try to imagine everytime you pray that it's your *last chance* to ask for guidance and forgiveness, and you can visualise that mighty God is right in front of you, willing to listen to you...

BTW, i've also find this on the net, i hope it will help...
http://isoc-unsw.org.au/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=73

God luck, angel, and may God always listen to your prayers! [Smile]

Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new muslimah, for four months, and only been praying 5 times a day, for 2 months. I have been able to build my concentration in pray because I have no T.V., no radio, and I just got my lap top.I only listen to Islamic recitles, and Islamic CD's. Me and all 3 of my kids (12,11,and 4) only listen to the words of the Qur'an, as much as we can. So when we pray, all we have in are minds, is the Qur'an. This is what helps me. Although, I must admit the children are better than I. My mind still wanders.
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sadeeqy:
7ayat, i am not a muslimah, and i don't know very much about your routine when you're praying... but i think if you'll try to imagine everytime you pray that it's your *last chance* to ask for guidance and forgiveness, and you can visualise that mighty God is right in front of you, willing to listen to you...

http://isoc-unsw.org.au/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=73

thank you sadeeqy you are lovely!
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
I am new muslimah, for four months, and only been praying 5 times a day, for 2 months. I have been able to build my concentration in pray because I have no T.V., no radio, and I just got my lap top.I only listen to Islamic recitles, and Islamic CD's. Me and all 3 of my kids (12,11,and 4) only listen to the words of the Qur'an, as much as we can. So when we pray, all we have in are minds, is the Qur'an. This is what helps me. Although, I must admit the children are better than I. My mind still wanders.

you're right khadiga, the tvs, and radios, and the internet are a big distraction. in fact, they are probably the main reason why people have a problem concentrating while praying! i read the quran often elhamdullelah but i rarely listen to it. ill try to put it on more maybe it will help. thank you for your advice!
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 7ayat- magnouna khales taralaly:
hello everyone how are you? elhamdullelah i've been praying regularly for 10 years now. i care alot about my prayers, and rarely miss a fard. but the problem is i find it very difficult to concentrate while i'm praying, absolutly no khshoo3. i find myself thinking of al sorts of things like what i will do next, or a book i read, or a problem i have, or a chat i had with my friend. the problem became so bad lately that sometimes my lack of attention makes me forget which rak3a i'm in, and if you ask me which suras i said during prayer i wont remember, because i wasn't concentrating! its like my mind is programmed to say the words, but my mind is another far away world!
now this really bothers me, and i want to change it! so does anyone here have tips on how to improve focus during prayer, and have more khsoo3? thank you so much [Smile]
[/QUOTE

you are such a brave lady and very honest mashallh rbna yazdeek, sobhan Allah i was suffering from such a problem I ‘m done and i'm not a lair it sometime occurs nowadays Thank God, i will till you the whole story...
Although I was born Muslim, ast7`far Allah, devil came to me, toward my Faith, you know like is Islam the true religion bla bla, I suffered for a while plus nightmares from devil, but I didn’t stop praying it was like thoughts, of course it is wrong to say something like this, but I want to make it clear for you…

Finally after talking with many trustable persons, and reading ahdeith and Quran of course I was secured, and after this I begin “concentrating” in the sala as sala is from the most beautiful way that make us closer to God, you know how do baggers seek money, we have to seek everything from allah like what they do

Do you know how you can taste the beauty of anything? Do you know how to be true?
Think about it if you love someone and you are having this private time with him, what will you do?

I have attending a lecture about sala, the lady said something that hurt me, she said, girls we are not playing *aerobics, it is not a sport we are used to…so
1- think about the private time which you are going to give to Allah the gr8…are you generous or stingy?
2- we need both our heart and our mind.
3- think of how much do you love him, and when we love anything or someone what we can offer! For example if you do love yr husband what can you offer him, so what about allah, who we have to love him more than anything!
4- think that he is “al montkem al gabar” and on the other hand |” al ra7men al ra7em”
5- finally to know that this pray is true, you will have this feeling “i don’t want to finish it” like if you have a beautiful thing and you are sure that you wont find it anywhere so “you don’t want to finish it”
6- always say “ 23zowa ballh meen 2l shytan or meen 7`anzeb…this is the name of that shyteen his work Is to make ppl don’t concantarte in sala…

finally, start reading the meaning and analysis of quran, because this is what you are going to use…2l rsoul sws said what, sallow salat mwde3, do you know what is the meaning of mwdwe3 y3ney myat, like you are going to die after you say asulmow alkiom, salat mwdw3 means that these four things are surrounding you
1-Jannah is on yr right hand
2- hell is on yr left hand
3- the king of death, malk 2l mout is up waiting to take yr soul
4- the devil…behind you
5-the kubba odymek
while praying, uses as many duaa as you can, always ask allah 2now yrzow2k “7osen 2tkan 2l 3amal” don’t forgetmy dear mash 3yza 2olk 2n rbna momken mash yatkabel 2st7`fr allah I’m not the juge, but also think in this point
sorry for this long reply
hope that you understand every thing…
salam ya gamile....dont forget me in yr duaa

Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Asooma:
[/QUOTE

you are such a brave lady and very honest mashallh rbna yazdeek, sobhan Allah i was suffering from such a problem I ‘m done and i'm not a lair it sometime occurs nowadays Thank God, i will till you the whole story...
Although I was born Muslim, ast7`far Allah, devil came to me, toward my Faith, you know like is Islam the true religion bla bla, I suffered for a while plus nightmares from devil, but I didn’t stop praying it was like thoughts, of course it is wrong to say something like this, but I want to make it clear for you…

Finally after talking with many trustable persons, and reading ahdeith and Quran of course I was secured, and after this I begin “concentrating” in the sala as sala is from the most beautiful way that make us closer to God, you know how do baggers seek money, we have to seek everything from allah like what they do

Do you know how you can taste the beauty of anything? Do you know how to be true?
Think about it if you love someone and you are having this private time with him, what will you do?

I have attending a lecture about sala, the lady said something that hurt me, she said, girls we are not playing *aerobics, it is not a sport we are used to…so
1- think about the private time which you are going to give to Allah the gr8…are you generous or stingy?
3- think of how much do you love him, and when we love anything or someone what we can offer! For example if you do love yr husband what can you offer him, so what about allah, who we have to love him more than anything!
4- think that he is “al montkem al gabar” and on the other hand |” al ra7men al ra7em”
5- finally to know that this pray is true, you will have this feeling “i don’t want to finish it” like if you have a beautiful thing and you are sure that you wont find it anywhere so “you don’t want to finish it”
6- always say “ 23zowa ballh meen 2l shytan or meen 7`anzeb…this is the name of that shyteen his work Is to make ppl don’t concantarte in sala…

finally, start reading the meaning and analysis of quran, because this is what you are going to use…2l rsoul sws said what, sallow salat mwde3, do you know what is the meaning of mwdwe3 y3ney myat, like you are going to die after you say asulmow alkiom, salat mwdw3 means that these four things are surrounding you
4- the devil…behind you
5-the kubba odymek
while praying, uses as many duaa as you can, always ask allah 2now yrzow2k “7osen 2tkan 2l 3amal” don’t forgetmy dear mash 3yza 2olk 2n rbna momken mash yatkabel 2st7`fr allah I’m not the juge, but also think in this point

thanks asooma for the helpful advice. and yeah its definitly not aerobics, but thats how i feel i do it sometimes unfortunatly [Frown] i will put the ahadeeth you mention in mind, and i do want to give god as much time as possible. it always scares me that rebana mesh hayatkabl, and thats why i opened this thread.
i hope some day i can reach the level where i i think "i dont want to finish it," really this is probably the day i will know that my prayers are being accepted inshallah.
thanks ya asooma and definitly will not forget you in my prayers!

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may seem overly simple, but if you are collecting your prayers more into one or two times in the day, you may have a different feeling about them.
If possible, try to do them when the pray is called!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- magnouna khales taralaly:
quote:
Originally posted by Asooma:
[/QUOTE

4- the devil…behind you
5-the kubba odymek

thanks asooma for the helpful advice. and yeah its definitly not aerobics, but thats how i feel i do it sometimes unfortunatly [Frown] i will put the ahadeeth you mention in mind, and i do want to give god as much time as possible. it always scares me that rebana mesh hayatkabl, and thats why i opened this thread.
i hope some day i can reach the level where i i think "i dont want to finish it," really this is probably the day i will know that my prayers are being accepted inshallah.
thanks ya asooma and definitly will not forget you in my prayers!

dont be sad my dear, everything will be okay soon kefya 2nk honest within yrslef
everything is difficult at the beginning, believe me it is very hard...
rbna say, "man takroub elya zar3 takrebt 2lyhow shbreen and so on
believe me duaa is magic
ask from allah 2now yrzow2k sala fal 7aram,
kmn always make yr time for allah...
for example you are loving yr husband, 2bt3`a mardeat allah...
you are spend times with yr friemds, so7ba 7asna as our prophet said
yr are talkin to yr mother in the fone: salet ra7em
wa keda ht7`de swab tool ma 2ntey 23da, even if you are cooking or cleaning yr home you will takke thawab...
look divide everything in this life to good and bad
and you will not notice the diffrient soon
dont forget devil wont leave you, bas howa kydow da3ef... wa 2l rsoul sws said "Be optimistic' 7`lekey waska fa rbna, rbna by2ol ana 3end zan 3bdey bee, 7`lakey waska 2now hytakbel menek wa low 3`altey fal sala*|bulit yr thoughts on the less, like you are confused you prayed 3 rak3a or 4 so it will be 3 and at the end make two sagdat sahow, mygrash 7aga, what do you think god have created these two sagda and named them sagdet sahow?
bos ya bantey, low 3yza t3rfey 2ntey kwysa wla l2a ask yr heart, not yr mind...dont 4get houb allah da meen 2l mwtaw3
and duaa is magic
may allah protect you...

luv you...x

Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
thanks asooma you are right, in islam we can have god with us always! i noticed that always when i pray, i ask for things related to my life, you know like i hope i can get a job, or i hope my marriage is fine, or i hope i can pass this exam etc. i rarely ask for things in the akhra you know, like 3azab el kabr, or 3etk men el nar. i really should focus on them from now on.

thanks asooma!

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:
This may seem overly simple, but if you are collecting your prayers more into one or two times in the day, you may have a different feeling about them.
If possible, try to do them when the pray is called!

with the exception of the fajr i do all my prayers on time
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB] 7ayat, i am not a muslimah, and i don't know very much about your routine when you're praying... but i think if you'll try to imagine everytime you pray that it's your *last chance* to ask for guidance and forgiveness, and you can visualise that mighty God is right in front of you, willing to listen to you...

This is lovely, thank you for that. Im sure if we all thought it was the last chance we would be more inclined to concentration.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
[QB] 7ayat, i am not a muslimah, and i don't know very much about your routine when you're praying... but i think if you'll try to imagine everytime you pray that it's your *last chance* to ask for guidance and forgiveness, and you can visualise that mighty God is right in front of you, willing to listen to you...

This is lovely, thank you for that. Im sure if we all thought it was the last chance we would be more inclined to concentration.
thats true [Smile]
MaliG182
Member # 8227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaliG182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying the Sunnah prayers will help. They will increase your iman. Also, they make up for your shortcomings in the fard prayers.
Posts: 356 | From: NEVERMIND | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

One piece of advice that I was given to help concentration was that you should whisper the words under your breath, i.e. not so loud that someone can hear what you are saying. It is said that the actually expressing the words, rather than just moving the lips helps concentration. Other advice was to really prepare yourself properly for prayer, try to finish off what you are doing before you start to pray, eat if food is ready, go to the bathroom before you start, take a long time over ablution and concentrate when you are doing it. All this helps to prepare you mentally for praying, rather than doing it in a hurry when your mind is busy or distracted.

MashaAllah...very nice...thanks...

I wanted to add...i dont know if anyone else added...

im sure i read that you should pray as if Allah swt is in front of you...
and your only shy enough that you look down only at that point if sujud, not daring to look anywhere else...

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- magnouna khales taralaly:with the exception of the fajr i do all my prayers on time [/QB]
I used to miss Fajr too, until one of my friends told me "if you had an apointment with your boyfriend, or with your boss, at 5:00 AM, you would wake up and get ready for it. So how can you miss an appointment with God???"
Her words really touched my heart, and mashaallah, I always find the force to wake up and pray Fagr. And I feel it's such a particular time!
I am facing exactly the same concentration problem. Thanks for sharing it, really, because I thought it was only me, and I really felt guilty! Thank you so much!

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newcomer -I hope you will read this post, could you advice me some good islamic institute, or some women giving Islamic lessons, in Cairo of course. I will be there in summer, and I would like to keep learning, I feel I know so few.
I don't speak Arabic.
Thank you very much.

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum Barbapapa!

As far as I know, there is no institute in Cairo that gives Islamic classes in English, but there are a few halaqas (study circles) where English speaking women get together and study Islamic books, and sometimes they have guest speakers. If you can let me know which area of Cairo you will be staying in, I might be able to let you know if there is anything near to you.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Thank you so much for your quick reply Newcomer! I'm always fascinated by the info you give, the hadeeth, everything! I will stay in Madinat Nasr. Heliopolis will be just fine too. Please let me know if you know anything there. Insha'Allah I will be there at the end of July.
Thank you very much.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Assalamu alaykum 7ayat!

This was just sent to me...thought you might be interested:

How to Obtain Kushoo’
by Shaykh Husayn al-‘Awaayishah

Taken from: As-Salaatu wa Athurahaa fi Ziyaadatil Eemaan wa Tahdheeb in-Nafs [Note: All hadeeth quoted here have been authenticated by Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaanee]

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) said:

The Believers will prosper. Those who have khushoo’ within their prayers. (23:1-2)

And He (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) also said:

And stand before Allaah with a devout frame of mind. (2:238)

Abu Hurayrah (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) said: The Messenger of Allaah (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) prayed one day, turned around and said: "O so and so! Do you not beautify your prayer? Does not the one who performs prayer when he does so look at how he prays? Indeed he prays for him self."

This khushoo’ is perfected by a number of matters some of which are within the prayer itself and others outside of it. Amongst such matters are:

1. Remembrance of Death

Anas (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) said: The Messenger of Allaah (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "Remember death within your prayer because when a man remembers death in his prayer is strives to beautify h is prayer and pray the prayer of a man who does not think that he will perform another prayer after it. Take caution and an excuse is sought for every affair."

The Messenger of Allaah (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) has ordered the Muslim to remember death during his prayer. This is because it is a means of beautifying the prayer. The thought of death creates apprehension in the souls and by it the actions are sealed. What comes after it is even more frightening. Where is the escape from the compression of the grave? And what will our response be when we are questioned in the grave? Furthermore, we do not know where our destination is, to a garden whose width is as that of the heavens and the earth or to the fire whose fuel is men and stones.

Thus does the servant imagine the visions of death and what comes after it, so he prays the prayer of a man who doesn't think that he will perform a prayer after it? He, therefore, beautifies his prayer, counts himself amongst the dead, prepares his shroud, writes his will and returns the rights to those who own them. When he wakes up he does not wait for the evening and when he reaches the evening he does not wait for the morning.

In this manner he comes to perform the prayer, humble, submissive and weeping. Between fear and hope he faces the Hereafter and he bids farewell to the world. It is a farewell prayer and a prayer of farewell. By it he says farewell to his family, parents, brothers and his dearest and nearest ones, in fact the whole World.

And here he says "Allaahu Akbar" - Allaah is Greater - indeed He is greater than every single thing. He belittles this world and deems it insignificant. Then he makes one of the opening supplications and says "O Allaah make my sins distant from me as you have made the east and west distant from each other." He visualises the remoteness of the east from the west then he brings to mind whatever he can from among his sins and mistakes which his back carries. He fears that he will meet Allaah in this state and that death will pass him before he has repented; so he calls with this supplication, certain and convinced that it will be answered.

He reflects upon the meaning of all that he utters during his prayer, bringing to mind the greatness and might of Allaah in his heart, tears welling from his eyes because Paradise and Hellfire have become evidently closer to him than his shoelace. He personifies the saying of the Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam): "Pray a farewell prayer as if you see Him and though you do not see Him, He certainly sees you."

It is essential to be observant of Allaah so that the matter of prayer is set aright and that the world is placed behind our backs. If a person knew that his words are being heard and that they reach the King without a doubt what then will he say? And how will he speak? Will you not see him weighing his letters and words? How will it be for the one who stands erect in front of the All-Hearer the All-Seer and All-Knowing, the One from Whom no secret is hidden?

’Abdullaah ibn Shikhkhir (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) said: I saw the Messenger of Allaah praying with us and in his chest was a humming / buzzing sound, due to his weeping, like that of a cooking kettle (when it boils).

The weeping of ‘Umar (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) could be heard from the last row as been reported in Bukhaaree. ‘Abdullaah ibn Shaddaad said: I heard the sobbing of ‘Umar while I was in the last row and he was reciting: "I complain of my grief and sorrow to Allaah alone." (12:86)

As for Abu Bakr (radee Allaahu ‘anhu), the people could not hear his recitation in the prayer due to his weeping just as Aa'ishah (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) has described when she said: "The Messenger of Allaah (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said while he was in his (final) illness: "Call upon Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer." Aa'ishah said: "I said: When Abu Bakr stands in your place the people are not able to hear due to weeping so call ‘Umar and let him lead the people." He (the Messenger) said: "Call Abu Bakr and let him lead the people." Aa'ishah said to Hafsah: "Say to him (the Messenger) that when Abu Bakr stands in your place the people cannot hear him due to weeping so call ‘Umar and let him lead the people." Hafsah did that and the Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "Indeed you are like the companions of Yoosuf. Call Abu Bakr and let him lead the people in prayer."
Hafsah said to Aa'ishah: "I was never to gain any good from you."

In another narration: "Abu Bakr is a sorrowful man. When he stands in your place he is not able to pray with the people."

2. Reflecting upon the Meanings of the Words Which are Related to the Prayer

When he says "Allaahu Akbar" he brings to mind the meaning of these words and the greatness and might of Allaah the Exalted which they contain. When he seeks refuge in Allaah from Shaytaan - the accursed - he reflects upon the meaning of seeking refuge and that it entails recourse to and holding onto Allaah, the All-Hearing Who hears the servant, the All-Knowing Who knows what the Shayateen whisper. He brings to mind that with this (seeking refuge) he opens the door to every good and closes the door to every evil. In the same manner does he reflect upon the meanings of Bismillaah, the Tasbeeh (Subhaanallaah) and the sending of prayers upon the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).

It is essential to turn to the books of Tafseer and sayings of the scholars until a person understands what exactly he is saying and that is saying what he understands. This is for all of his prayer he strives to achieve that in accordance with his capability and strength.

3. Abandoning Sins & Disobedience

Allaah the Exalted said:

Indeed Allaah does not change the condition of a people until they change what is in their souls. (13:11)

Disobedience is a barrier which stands in front of khushoo' in the prayer. Included in this disobedience is clinging to a woman possessing evil manners and not divorcing her or giving a fool power to dispose of his wealth or giving a loan without it being witnessed. The Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "There are three who call upon Allaah, but are not answered: A man under whom is a woman of evil nature and he does not divorce her, a man who is owed something by another but who did not call anyone to be a witness over it and a man who gives a fool his wealth." Allaah the Exalted also said: "And do not give to the foolish their wealth."

Also included in this is the disobedience the wife shows to her husband and the slave who has run away from his master, as occurs in the hadeeth: "There are two whose prayer does go beyond their heads: A servant who has fled from his master until he returns and a woman who disobeys her husband until she returns."
Likewise obeying Allaah in abundance increases khushoo' in the prayer and adds to its beautification. Among the things which bring this about are: Being merciful to orphans, stroking their heads and feeding them. In this regard, the Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "Do you wish that your heart should become soft and that you obtain your need? Show mercy to the orphan, stroke his head and give him from your food. Your heart will become softened and your will acquire your need."

4. Avoiding too Much Laughing as it is Fatal to the Heart & its Khushoo'

There occurs in the hadeeth: "...Indeed too much laughing kills the heart."

5. Choosing Suitable Actions

This is from a number of different aspects:

1. In that they are halaal / lawful, because Allaah does not accept but the lawful and wholesome. Consuming unlawful property repels the supplication and prevents khushoo'.

2. That these actions do not oppose the times of prayer. If that is the case, a man will start to make decisions for himself by allowing himself to delay the prayers or even making them up if he misses the time in which they are to be performed. He may also ask someone who will give him such an answer.

3. That he tries to find out - according to his capability - those actions which are not strenuous or exacting, so that he enters into the prayer with a humble and repentant heart. The one who is tired and overworked must refresh his mind and this is at the expense khushoo' in the prayer.

The Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) has commanded us that when supper is served and the iqaamah has also been pronounced for the prayer, we begin with the supper until we have finished from it. This is because of the hearts occupation with the provisions outside of the prayer. Ibn ‘Umar (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) reported from the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) that he said: "When the meal of one of you is served and the prayer has commenced, begin with the meal first and do not hurry until you have finished from it."

6. Not Being Excessively Occupied with the Affairs of the World

This is because it will most certainly be at the expense of the Hereafter. Take, therefore, from the world that which will cloth you, your family and your children. If your work is done in the morning it will suffice you. There is nothing which necessitates work in the evening. If you receive a consistent amount of business which brings you profits in abundance there is no need for becoming entangled with a variety of trades, dividing your mind thereby, making you forget the rights of your Lord and destroying the rights of yourself, your family and your dependants.

7. Reciting the Qur'aan abundantly

Also what has been established from among the various remembrances and supplications from the Messenger as well as reading the heart-melting traditions and stories. These soften the heart and make the Shaytaan distant.

8. Coming to the Prayer Early

So that his zeal for the prayer does not force him to hurry towards the mosque and therefore enter the prayer while he is disturbed or muddled.

Abu Qataadah (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) said: The Messenger of Allaah (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "When you come to the prayer you must come to it at ease and with tranquillity and do not come to it hastily. Whatever you catch of the prayer pray it and whatever you miss complete it."

Also Abu Hurayrah (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) said: The Messenger of Allaah (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "When the prayer is recompensed for do not come to it hastily but come to it with ease, in tranquillity. Whatever you catch of it pray it and whatever you miss complete it. Indeed when one of you comes to perform the prayer he is engaged in prayer."

9. Straightening of the Rows, Making them Level & Filling the Gaps

This is because the gaps in the rows are the residing places of Shaytaan and the places where he stands. In a hadeeth there occurs: "Join together in the rows as Shaytaan stands between the gaps."

The Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to say when straightening the rows of the Companions (radee Allaahu ‘anhum): "Be equal (level) and do not separate lest your hearts separate." He also used to say: "Either you must straighten and make level your rows or Allaah will cause your faces to be separated."

In the absence of the straightening of the rows, making them level and filling the gaps is the separation of the faces and hearts, an impairment to Eemaan and killing of khushoo'. Conversely, in the straightening of the rows and their being level is the perfection of the prayer and its beautification as the Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "...as the straightening of the rows is from the perfection of the prayer" and also his saying: "...as the straightening of the rows is from the beauty of prayer."

Taken From www.calltoislam.com

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disobedience is a barrier which stands in front of khushoo' in the prayer. Included in this disobedience is clinging to a woman possessing evil manners and not divorcing her or giving a fool power to dispose of his wealth or giving a loan without it being witnessed. The Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "There are three who call upon Allaah, but are not answered: A man under whom is a woman of evil nature and he does not divorce her, a man who is owed something by another but who did not call anyone to be a witness over it and a man who gives a fool his wealth." Allaah the Exalted also said: "And do not give to the foolish their wealth."

Also included in this is the disobedience the wife shows to her husband and the slave who has run away from his master, as occurs in the hadeeth: "There are two whose prayer does go beyond their heads: A servant who has fled from his master until he returns and a woman who disobeys her husband until she returns."

I don't think this is correct hadith.
I haven't read hadith that ascribed evil to a person.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

How to Obtain Kushoo’
by Shaykh Husayn al-‘Awaayishah

Taken from: As-Salaatu wa Athurahaa fi Ziyaadatil Eemaan wa Tahdheeb in-Nafs [Note: All hadeeth quoted here have been authenticated by Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaanee]

Assalamu alaykum Queenbee!

I hadn't heard it before either, but the author of the article says that all the hadith he uses have been authenticated by Albani, and that, according to many scholars, can be relied on.

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
wa alaikom salam, newcomer.
I will check it. You know there are just thousands of hadiths "put after the prophet died," many of which are regarded as not correct. Some even say that there are many put by people who wish to make the Islam less.
I only wish the trail of authentication, and the source of the hadith was listed.
If I don't see it, I usually don't trust it.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Assalamu alaykum QueenBee!

Its because I know about the mawdua (false) and daif (weak) hadith that I try to be careful of my sources before putting anything on here, as I wouldn't want to mislead anyone. And for that reason I welcome it if anyone can give me evidence that what I have posted is wrong. But, as I am not a scholar to be able to verify the authenticity of hadith personally, I try to rely on those scholars who seem to be the most trustworthy and who do verify the authenticity of the hadith they use. Albani (may Allah be merciful to him) was the muhaddith (Hadith Scholar) of this time, and most scholars acknowledge this, even if they differ with him over his fatawa. I am not in a position to be able to argue against their knowledge, so until anyone can prove that his authentication was incorrect, I personally would choose to accept his judgement.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
salam aelekum newcomer, thank you so much for this post, i love it! i'm still struggling with my concentration unfortunatly. i will print this out inshallah! thanks
newcomer
Member # 1056

Wa alaykum salaam 7ayat!

Glad it was useful and hope it will help! One other thing that might help you also would be making a determined effort over fajr now. It’s an ideal time for you to get into the habit; especially if your sleeping pattern is still upset...you could start to build that into a routine for yourself. Once you get into the habit of doing that and adhering more closely to the pillars of Islam, my guess is that Allah will ease some things for you; remember this Hadith Qudsi? It's one of my favourites.

On the authority of Abu Dharr (may Allah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Allah, the Almighty, says: 'Whoever does a good deed will have ten times the like of it, or I will add more; and whoever does an evil deed its reward will be evil the like of it, or I will forgive (him). And whoever approaches Me by one hand-span, I will approach him by one forearm’s length; and whoever approaches Me by one forearm’s length, I approach him by the span of outstretched arms. And whoever comes to Me walking, I will go to him running; and whoever meets Me with an earth-load of sins without associating anything with Me, I will meet him with forgiveness the like of it."
(Reported by Muslim)

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
oh wow that hadeeth made me cry [Smile] you know i've been wanting to pray fagr for ages now, but i never come around to doing it except in ramadan. its very bizarre because in ramadan its so easy, as soon as i hear the azan i wake up, whereas on the other days its so difficult!
newcomer
Member # 1056

I often find that it is good when I have a change in my life to start to do something new Islamically, and you really do have the ideal chance now to start to pray fajr...no job to have to get up early for, a disturbed sleep routine...its the ideal time for you now 7ayat! Why not try it? If Allah sees that you are trying to get closer to Him...who knows how He might help you:

(و من يتق الله يجعل له مخرجا.و يرزقه من حيث لا يحتسب )

"And whosoever fears Allâh (and keeps his duty to Him), He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine." (Surah ٍAl-Talaq, 65: 2-3) (Taken from the Noble Qur'an, Muhsin Khan)

_XX_
Member # 10256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _XX_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muslims claim that Jesus prayed using the Muslim prayer posture, along with all the prophets. Yet Jesus instructed his disciples to pray while standing up. (Mark 11:25), King David prayed while sitting in (2 Sam 7:18), and Paul instructed prayer in church with hands lifted up in the air. (1 Tim 2:8) If Jesus was a Muslim, why would he instruct his disciples to pray standing up? And when it says Jesus fell on his face and prayed, how do you know he was not fully prostrate?
Posts: 375 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Egypt
Member # 10436

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Egypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by _XX_:
Muslims claim that Jesus prayed using the Muslim prayer posture, along with all the prophets. Yet Jesus instructed his disciples to pray while standing up. (Mark 11:25), King David prayed while sitting in (2 Sam 7:18), and Paul instructed prayer in church with hands lifted up in the air. (1 Tim 2:8) If Jesus was a Muslim, why would he instruct his disciples to pray standing up? And when it says Jesus fell on his face and prayed, how do you know he was not fully prostrate?

fell on your face and you will know how jesus prayed and compare it to our prayers.
Posts: 1201 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thasts very true, and make the quran that you read pass over your heart, don't just recite without understanding.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com