EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Would women be offended by a request for a prenuptial before marriage!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would women be offended by a request for a prenuptial before marriage!!!
Gulfy
Member # 10089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gulfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or would the women of this board advise against it!!
Posts: 299 | From: Dubai | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This woman (and attorney) would highly advise all people to have a prenuptial agreement.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not if it was a fair one but so often they are not fair as the party demanding it is seeking to hold onto everything.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pre-nuptial agreements do not have a legal status in English law, courts can take them into account in divorce settlements, but they're not enforceable if the divorce court thinks they are unfair.
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the US, a prenuptial has the force of (contract) law, unless it's deemed unconcionably unfair to one of the parties, or if it can be proved one or both parties signed under duress, fraud, etc. In addition, one lawyer cannot draft the document for both parties -- each has to have his own lawyer review/approve it, to help prevent unfair terms.

I recommend it to people here in the US, especially if they have children by a prior marriage, because spouses automatically get certain assets in the event of death or divorce, and most people want to protect these assets to pass onto their children.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pre-nuptial agreements do not have legal status in Romanian law too and have no value into the courts.
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dream123456
Member # 9287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dream123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In islam prenuptial Agreement is OK unless it restricts a Halal or agrees on something that is Haram
Posts: 1022 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mirox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no practical use of such an agreement under Egyptian law whereas there's no confusion of each party's assets and who would they ultimately belong to. Sometimes, of course, it is the bride who requests a document evidencing the movables that have been brought by her into the household. Any dispossal of those assets by the husband would qualify for a criminal offence (breach of feduciary duty).
Posts: 88 | From: Khonfesharia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by bibo1978:
In islam prenuptial Agreement is OK unless it restricts a Halal or agrees on something that is Haram

Bibo, I'd be interested in knowing more about that, if you don't mind. I know we've had this discussion on the board here about Egyptian law, with marital contracts not being allowed to specify that a husband is prohibited from taking a second wife.

But American Muslims put this type of clause in their marriage contracts all the time. Is that still prohibited under Islamic law? [Confused]

FWIW, I think Islamic marriage contracts are really cool and have protected women's rights long before we had anything similar here in the U.S. at least, if not English common law. Don't know much about French civil law.

Gulfy
Member # 10089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gulfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't egypt have civil marriages!!! I think lebanon either have civil marriages or there is talk of introducing some legislation to allow that. None of the gulf states have civil marriages.
Posts: 299 | From: Dubai | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dream123456
Member # 9287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dream123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
quote:

Bibo, I'd be interested in knowing more about that, if you don't mind. I know we've had this discussion on the board here about Egyptian law, with marital contracts not being allowed to specify that a husband is prohibited from taking a second wife.

But American Muslims put this type of clause in their marriage contracts all the time. Is that still prohibited under Islamic law? [Confused]

FWIW, I think Islamic marriage contracts are really cool and have protected women's rights long before we had anything similar here in the U.S. at least, if not English common law. Don't know much about French civil law.

Snoozin I don't have enough knowledge but what I heard regarding this that it is not halal to put that in the prenuptial agreement because marriage for more than one woman is halal and this will contradict with that, yet a woman can have her right to take the divorce initiative within a prenuptial agreement which means that woman can divorce herself if she and her husband agrees on that on prenuptial agreement, so if you are afraid from him getting married to another one you can take the right to divorce yourself and by this way you can divorce'em anytime [Smile] ).. if he agreed ..
Posts: 1022 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gulfy
Member # 10089

it seems that there are less gold diggers in europe compared to the states. in the states, prenuptials are fully enforceable and have become a standard for wealthy people (mostly initiated by men), and growing in popularity among the upper middle class!!
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
quote:

Here is a link talking about it http://www.islamfortoday.com/prenuptial.htm
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com